1998 Oldsmobile Eighty-Eight - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Eighty-Eight model:
Loved my little old car!
By kmfresh on 08/23/12 09:52 AM (PDT)

1998 Oldsmobile Eighty-Eight LS 4dr Sedan

I absolutely loved my eighty-eight. Only problem I ever had with it was the water pump breaking and the belt breaking (only one-time fixes for me). I drove 12 hour round trips at least once a month and drove it every single day around town, to and from work, and across state for over 2 years and it always got me where I needed to go, no problems. Very reliable and dependable. I miss my Rico. I'd definitely buy another one if I got the chance.

Update on Eighty Eigh LS
By robbed718 on 02/22/11 17:52 PM (PST)

1998 Oldsmobile Eighty-Eight LS 4dr Sedan

Robbed718 back. Update on the Oldsmobile Eighty Eight I bought with 53,000 miles in March of 2010 from the old lady whom lost her vision. The car now has 77,000 miles on it. I've had to replace a belt tensioner, tires and a sepentine belt since. Everything is still holding up good on the car, engine is still powerful and not bad on gas. (I get about 24mpg) . I think I could get 175-200K out of this baby. I'm gonna plan on it!

Buyer beware
By macinman on 09/05/10 17:45 PM (PDT)

1998 Oldsmobile Eighty-Eight LS 4dr Sedan

I bought this car back in February and the thing has since blown up, only had 120,000 miles on when died, things that went wrong were the intake manifold, head gasket, fuel pump, transmission started to slip, and many many small problems.

Piece Of steaming crap.
By macinman on 08/08/10 20:32 PM (PDT)

1998 Oldsmobile Eighty-Eight LS 4dr Sedan

I bought my 98 olds at a dealership and from day 1 the car has had problem after problem and now after 7 months the rod blew out the side of the car and is being deemed totaled.

Awesome Car
By hayley on 06/15/10 14:54 PM (PDT)

1998 Oldsmobile Eighty-Eight 4dr Sedan

For my first car its a good one. My grandparents had it before me and had no problems what so ever. It's fun to drive and handles well. It gets me through any kind of weather well. The only thing I've had to replace on it was the battery. I also changed out the tape player/radio with a CD player/radio. Over all its an awesome car. I would recommend it to anyone.

A Bottomless Money Pit
By Joe on 05/31/10 11:29 AM (PDT)

1998 Oldsmobile Eighty-Eight 4dr Sedan

This car has caused me quite a bit of trouble. I bought it with 30,000 miles on it and it now has just under 100,000. I've had to replace mufflers on it three times. I replaced the gas tank on it, along with a fuel pump because I would nearly stall after coming down certain hills. This probably needs to be fixed again, as it's acting up. About 1,000 miles ago my belt tensioner broke, spinning my belt off the pulleys so that no water made it to my radiator and so my engine overheated on the spot. This happened out of nowhere for no reason. A cable snapped in my left mirror so I need to wedge something there to keep the mirror aimed where I want it. This car needs one fix after another.

A Good Solid Lux Automobile
By Robbed718 on 03/06/10 04:15 AM (PST)

1998 Oldsmobile Eighty-Eight LS 4dr Sedan

I bought this car about a week ago now with 54,000 miles on it. It was from a little old lady who lost her vision and the car was rarely used. I bought it and brought it to the mechanic. Apparently the V5 A/C Compressors on this car are horrible. It is making a sound when the belt turns but I ordered one online for only 200 bucks (Mechanics shop wants $450 just for the compressor) I heard these are great cars esp with the 3800 that's why I bought it. I plan on keeping it a while, it drives beautifully. Very Comfortable, decent gas mileage and fun to drive. Its basically like driving a big leather couch with lots of power. Overall I am very happy so far and it is worth the money

Come back, PLEASE
By macinman on 02/16/10 15:35 PM (PST)

1998 Oldsmobile Eighty-Eight 4dr Sedan

I have owned onjly one other car than the eighty eight and that was a ford escort ZX2, this car is a tank but ive fallen in love with it, very safe reliable, engine was rebilt last year aparently.

my 88
By daddy weber on 01/17/10 06:19 AM (PST)

1998 Oldsmobile Eighty-Eight 4dr Sedan

i got a 88 about a year ago for 1,799and it runs like a champ only put like 600 into it since i got it and its the best car ive ever owned reliability wise.

Big and Economical!
By GMCK25004x4 on 01/08/10 16:16 PM (PST)

1998 Oldsmobile Eighty-Eight 4dr Sedan

I don't know what was wrong with other 88's, but mine got 33 mpg on the highway and 27-29 in freaking town! I loved this car! it had 147000 miles on it when I sold it. hated to get rid of it but wife hit a deer. I replaced the hood, header panel, and fender, but it needed paint, only. Only mtce done to the car was water pump. Tranny or rear end seemed to skip and cause the car to skid every now and then...strange..but it was a very reliable car and I am looking for another one because of the mpg and size! Buy one! It is WELL worth it!