2003 Mercury Sable - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Sable model:
Mercury Disabled (Sable)
By Julie on 07/20/09 23:39 PM (PDT)

2003 Mercury Sable LS Premium 4dr Sedan (3.0L 6cyl 4A)

Now I know why this car has the nickname Mercury 'disabled' I bought the car 4 months ago and it has been in the shop more than in my garage. The transmission went out 36 hours after I got it home (with 52k miles on it). Since that repair it has had a stuck pcv valve, an replace air intake cylinoid and now both front struts are bad. This 'good deal' - even w/ an extended warranty - has cost me another $1200 in repairs. I would never, ever buy it again.

Buyer beware 2003 Sable will cost you money
By HMILLER2 on 07/29/08 08:10 AM (PDT)

2003 Mercury Sable LS Premium 4dr Sedan (3.0L 6cyl 4A)

The car seemed to to be a good but when you compair all the known specs at the time of purchase but after a few years look out! This car model is no worse than the support from Ford Motor who just does not care in my opinion. I bought the extended warranty so I have had some protection. When you look at what other's have had to repair you will see a pattern. First the A/C goes up after about 2-3 years. Then the door seals leak they needed to be replaced. The car does not burn E85 fuel as listed by Ford. Runs rough and chokes on mixed fuel. The list goes on but now after just 41,500 miles I need spark plug wires.

Safe 5 star & nice room
By go blue on 02/03/08 05:35 AM (PST)

2003 Mercury Sable LS Premium 4dr Sedan (3.0L 6cyl 4A)

Currently the vehicle has 100,000 miles. Besides normal brakes, tires and oil changes, the only repair I had to make was a blower fan for $150.00. I looked at the Honda Accord & Toyota Camry - both of those cars have timing belts and 30,000 mile tune ups. I had a 100% chance of spending $600 for the timing belt and $300 for each tune up X 3 since I have 100,000 miles. That is a total of $1,500 in normal maintenance that I avoided with Ford's / Mercury's 100,000 mile tune up and a timing chain that lasts the life of the vehicle - serveral hundred thousand miles. Why do you think Consumer Reports does not bring this up? Ford delivers vehicle with the design to minimize maintenance costs!

Magnificent Mid-size
By falsesmall on 01/22/08 08:32 AM (PST)

2003 Mercury Sable LS Premium 4dr Sedan (3.0L 6cyl 4A)

Bought this car with 100,000 miles on it and couldn't be happier. Runs like new. The Duratec 6 is responsive and quiet. Flawless shifting in all gears. Loaded with luxury and safety features that make this car a steal..leather, alloy wheels, sunroof, traction control, adjustible pedals, heated mirrors, 6 cd mach audio, ABS, side air bags, etc.,etc. If you want to buy American, here is where you do it. Much more for less. Ford did this one right.

Magnificent Mid-size
By falsesmall on 12/06/07 12:08 PM (PST)

2003 Mercury Sable LS Premium 4dr Sedan (3.0L 6cyl 4A)

After 100,000 miles this car is a dream. The premium model is chock full of options that leave you wanting nothing. This a "true" mid-size sedan that looks and rides great. Interior design is conservative yet attractive. Controls are logically laid out. Excellent climate control. Handling is precise enough..what you would expect in a car of this size and weight. I love the solid feel and feel quite safe with the side airbags and ABS. Duratec six cylinder is powerful and, with the 4 speed automatic/overdrive, smooth as silk. Frankly the best engine/trans marriage I think I ever owned, new or used. Luxury and power at a great pre-owned price tag. This is an American car done right.

Decent Family Car
By owensry on 12/17/06 16:50 PM (PST)

2003 Mercury Sable LS Premium 4dr Sedan (3.0L 6cyl 4A)

overall this sable is a great family vehicle, and not too horrible on gas mileage, i have the 24 V Duratech engine with 200 HP great pep to the engine, very nice leather seats, and paint color combination.

OOH- shiny!
By chris1016 on 10/30/06 09:48 AM (PST)

2003 Mercury Sable LS Premium 4dr Sedan (3.0L 6cyl 4A)

I bought the LS Premium with about 22k on it 6 mo. ago. AC compressor went bad after a couple months (luckily I had the extended warranty, but it still cost me a little over $100 deductible). Otherwise, car seems pretty solid. Somewhat luxurious (compared to the blander Taurus anyhow). But my LS came without a 6disc changer! Also, as others have said- the trunk, while of a decent size, is hindered by a too- small, oddly-shaped opening. And yeah, drum brakes? Shame on Ford for that one... Otherwise, I'm liking this car quite a bit.

Mercury Sable LS is a High Quality Sedan
By d. gearey on 09/10/06 21:56 PM (PDT)

2003 Mercury Sable LS Premium 4dr Sedan (3.0L 6cyl 4A)

We purchased a lease return Sable LS with 50K miles. It looks and drives like a brand new car. Leather interior is beautiful, sunroof and climate control systems work perfectly. Installed new Goodyear triple Tread Tires, drives like a dream, very quiet with precise steering and ABS brakes. I cannot understand why american auto magazine reviewers give excellent U.S. made cars like my Sable such a bad rap. We rented a highly touted japanese car while on vacation and we found it to be slow, underpowered and tinny, with excessive road noise. We were glad to get rid of it at the end of the trip. Our Sable is a much better built car, quieter,with a more substantial structure,and much better power.

great buy new, even better used!
By dan m on 12/31/04 17:07 PM (PST)

2003 Mercury Sable LS Premium 4dr Sedan (3.0L 6cyl 4A)

A steal at the used price level. Second one I bought at $12K with 8K miles fully loaded. Last one I kept for 4 years (cost $3k/yr) plus gas, oil and tires. Smooth quite commute ride. I HIGHLY recommend for that use.

Very enjoyable to drive
By Sold on Mercury on 04/08/04 00:00 AM (PDT)

2003 Mercury Sable LS Premium 4dr Sedan (3.0L 6cyl 4A)

In terms of value for your money, no other car comes even close! The Mercury is a fun, safe, dependable and comfortable car to drive. This is my 4th Mercury and have never had any problems.