1999 Mercedes-Benz SLK-Class Convertible - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific SLK-Class model:
SLK230 Longterm Owner
By texcarman on 05/29/14 18:54 PM (PDT)

1999 Mercedes-Benz SLK-Class Convertible SLK230 Kompressor 2dr Convertible

I bought my '99 SLK230 new. It is the base model and my favorite commuting car. I now have over 110K on it and it has been a very good car. I have had what seems to be pattern failures on the vehicle. MAF sensor right around 70K miles, K40 Relay failed at 78K and I found and re-soldered the melted connection and it has been good ever sense. I did encounter a noisy camshaft variable timing unit which was the most expensive part I've replaced, part cost was close to $400. and I'm a Euro car tech so fixed it myself. The electrical connector on the transmissions leak fluid about every 5 year/50K miles. I've replaced one plastic shift bushing and think the second one is now due.

Fun and reliable Mercedes roadster
By thraxman on 02/05/14 23:05 PM (PST)

1999 Mercedes-Benz SLK-Class Convertible SLK230 Sport 2dr Convertible

My car is a '99 SLK230 Komp with sport pack, in auto. The build quality is mechanically solid, though interior is minimal with some cheap bits (expect rattles, paint flaking). An all weather daily driver, put about 20k miles on it in 2.5 years, and nothings failed yet (at 90k miles). The drive is sporty and stiff, with moderate accel (185hp/ 200ft lbs). Road volume's loud, but so is the Bose stereo. Interior accomodations are perfect for smaller people, as the wheel base is pretty short, but big people will feel cramped. In general, a great little convertible with classy style that is fun at safe speeds and has a driving experience I enjoy. It's just better than its competition...