2007 Mercedes-Benz SL-Class - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific SL-Class model:
$110,000 LEMON
By ratanlal on 06/20/13 17:44 PM (PDT)

2007 Mercedes-Benz SL-Class SL550 2dr Convertible (5.5L 8cyl 7A)

New car stalled 4 times. After pulling over and waiting for a few minutes car would start up again. Took it every time to a dealer. No problem found. I hear grinding sound, Dealer says normal. never heard that in any of my 20 other cars I have bought before. Soon as warranty expired, there was a problem. During test Dealer claimed that the Compression cable broke. Cost $2000+. I still hear noise and (sometimes) gears shift at a very high RPM. Went to get Smog test. They said they could not get steady RPM of 2800 to perform the test. This week the door handle broke. Cost $500. I would say that MBZ has VERY POOR QUALITY. Buying MBZ 1984-2007. NEVER AGAIN.

Great ride
By Rocket on 08/31/10 13:46 PM (PDT)

2007 Mercedes-Benz SL-Class SL550 2dr Convertible (5.5L 8cyl 7A)

I just bought this SL550 for my wife. What a beautiful car. She wanted a sports car and I would not let her drive my Z8 :-) This car is such a nice all around car. It had about 8K miles on it and is 2.5 years old and like another mentioned about 50% of initial MSRP. It was a certified MB so we got a additional 2 year 50K warranty on top of the existing warranty. The car is built like a tank and has plenty of power. It is no Z8 but a much better every day car and tourer and quite the luxury cruiser. We could have spent $60K on a new Corvette GS or the same on this TT&L and it was a no brainer.

The Perfect Drop Top
By Sg5845 on 07/21/10 11:17 AM (PDT)

2007 Mercedes-Benz SL-Class SL550 2dr Convertible (5.5L 8cyl 7A)

I have owned my SL 550 for about 18 months so I have driven it in all conditions. I have to say it is absolutely the finest car I have ever owned. When the top is up, it is as quiet as they come. I often conduct handsfree conference calls in it and people think I am at the office it is so quiet. When the top is down, oh man, it is awesome. The car is plenty fast in the SL550 trim but if you need a rocket ship, go for the SL55 or 65. But be careful, learn how to drive a car with that kind of power! The ride is smooth and acceleration is excellent. I live in a big city where the interstates are competitive. I have all the power I need in this car. I would highly recommend it!

SL550 The Fast, the beautiful and the so
By fibblefester on 06/19/10 22:44 PM (PDT)

2007 Mercedes-Benz SL-Class SL550 2dr Convertible (5.5L 8cyl 7A)

Just finished a 2,000 mile trip in our newly acquired 07. We drove it from Illinois to Oklahoma City, a trip that had us passing over interstate highways at 75 MPH and rolling through the backroads in Oklahoma. This amazing beast transport the passengers with a feeling of swift, solid sure footedness and capability. The engine is ferocious- at 100 MOH it is barely breathing hard. At more down to earth levels of speed it gets over 27 MPG. That's right, we saw 27.8 MPG indicated and our math upon fillup confirmed the number. The seats are nothing short of nirvana in terms of features and adjustability. The Sat Nav works well and Sirius Radio is a wonder. The SL 550 is simply word class.

More fun than allowed
By flblondie on 06/12/10 06:30 AM (PDT)

2007 Mercedes-Benz SL-Class SL550 2dr Convertible (5.5L 8cyl 7A)

This is my second Benz. The sl is fun, fast and better mpg than the manufacturer states - if I don't feel the need to pass everyone on the road (hard to do!) I'm getting consistently 24+ on the highway. Don't hesitate. Get one.

Trendsetter
By Edmund on 05/10/10 15:23 PM (PDT)

2007 Mercedes-Benz SL-Class SL550 2dr Convertible (5.5L 8cyl 7A)

Excellent sports car with that extra bit of luxury that set this vehicle apart from and ahead of the competition. I just love driving it, be it on the road going to and from work or at the race- track.

sl550 saved my life
By megaautoparts on 12/14/09 13:23 PM (PST)

2007 Mercedes-Benz SL-Class SL550 2dr Convertible (5.5L 8cyl 7A)

I bought my 2007 sl550 with 3800 miles on nov 5 2009 on nov 6 2009 I was hit head on by an accelerating Jeep Cherokee that turned into my lane across a double yellow line, car was totaled but I walked away with some disc and whiplash injuries. There is no doubt this car saved my life, I traded a 2004 Corvette and a 2005 slk350 to get this sl550. If I was in any other car I would have been killed. There is no doubt this car saved my life, I am buying another one and will never buy any other car. Thank you Mercedes for your build quality and crash worthiness.

Second SL55 AMG
By 4ocious on 03/15/09 07:22 AM (PDT)

2007 Mercedes-Benz SL-Class SL55 AMG 2dr Convertible (5.4L 8cyl S/C 5A)

After driving an 06 SL55 AMG I traded my fully optioned and modified 04 CLK55 AMG for this fully optioned car with the 030 Performance Package. I had it less than a month when it was totaled on 12/31/08. I am so impressed by this car I bought an 07 SL55 AMG with the 030 and all options after the insurance claims were settled. For comparison I tested the 09 Shelby GT500KR, 09 Chev Corvette Z06, 07 BMW 650i convt, 08 BMW 550 Sport and an 08 SL550 Sport. I even considered an 08 CLK63 Black Series. Personally, I think the SLs are great cars that can do everything very well. Although it is not as nimble as my previous 03 BMW M5 and 02 M3 its still my 1st choice. It's stablemate is a great 05 E55.

A Balance Between Dr. Jekyll & Mr. Hyde
By TC on 03/04/09 21:24 PM (PST)

2007 Mercedes-Benz SL-Class SL55 AMG 2dr Convertible (5.4L 8cyl S/C 5A)

I never would have paid the MSRP for this car new, but as a 2 year old lease return with less than 15K for 50% of MSRP, it seemed reasonable. The balance of performance and luxury/comfort is very impressive. It's very comfortable as a luxo- cruiser, but only a short throttle stab away from a rear-end sliding beast. I've had BMW's and S-version Audi's before, and this time I looked at used AM Vantage's (poor warranty) and M6's (sorry - just not very attractive), and considered 911's as well(yes, it's more of a sports car), but as a daily luxo driver in urban traffic that is still capable of lots of hard-top down, rip-snorting fun, this is a very tough car to beat....especially for 1/2 off!

A grown-up toy
By Elle on 01/30/08 18:03 PM (PST)

2007 Mercedes-Benz SL-Class SL55 AMG 2dr Convertible (5.4L 8cyl S/C 5A)

The power of 510 ponies cannot be beat when you're behind a truck, along side a slow poke, or just dying to feel the wind in your hair. Tons of truck space, all the bells, tolerable gas mileage, and fun, fun fun. Just wish people didn't park right next to me all the time!

TCO® insurance data for this vehicle coming soon...

For an accurate quote, contact our trusted partner below.