2003 Mazda Protege Consumer Review: Not a lot of buck, but a lot o

2003 Mazda Protege - Consumer Review

Not a lot of buck, but a lot of bang
By brb588 on

2003 Mazda Protege LX 4dr Sedan (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

I totalled my previous car ('02 Chevy Tracker) and was looking for a gently used car/SUV. I originally wanted a Honda CR-V, but it was way out of my price range. Thank God I looked at the '03 Protegé. It had about 11K miles, and I test drove it along side a brand new one, and they both drove excellently. The thick steering wheel and peppy engine were immediately noticable. Everything was nicely laid out, the seats were comfortable, and the car was rather attractive for its low price. I have had it for a month, and I simply love it. Forget a Civic, get a Protegé!

Well placed stereo, alloys and cruise control on an economy car, great power, powerful brakes.

The gas milage is surprisingly low. I'm not getting more than 22 MPG. Also, the paint rubs off too easily. And finally, the taillights leave something to be desired. For such an attractive car, Mazda could've jazzed the back up a little more.