2009 Hyundai Genesis - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Genesis model:
Do not buy - brakes fail on lots of HYUNDAIs
By i_love_carz on 08/03/13 08:17 AM (PDT)

2009 Hyundai Genesis 3.8 4dr Sedan (3.8L 6cyl 6A)

Brake pedal goes to the floor occasionally. No braking at all!!! I am told the ABS module has failed and not covered by warranty at 62,199 miles as I am the 2nd owner. $2,500 repair cost. This is a chronic/common problem with Hyundais and should be covered as a recall because the engineering/manufacturing process or something is obviously is defective! Do your research as brake problems with Hyundais is way too common. Go to http://www-odi.nhtsa.dot.gov and look for yourself

Just bought a 3.8 Genesis Sedan
By ibuy4u on 06/10/12 10:28 AM (PDT)

2009 Hyundai Genesis 3.8 4dr Sedan (3.8L 6cyl 6A)

I was skeptical of Hyundai just like you. I wouldn't even look in the direction of this brand before BUT in these times...if your credit is shot due to the economy and can't get the car you drove before or want then this might be the car for you. After driving the Genesis I was pleasantly surprised! 3 main factors that caught my attention. Driveablity, Technology and Accessories. It drove like a cream puff. Smooth "very" smooth engine and tranny with kick when you need it. Technology available is just as good and plentiful as the rest with BMW and Audi hand controls. Accesories you would normaly have to buy as an option is included in the Genesis. Great value and warranty for the buck!

I Must Have The Only Lemon They Made or Do I ?
By bitesback on 07/24/11 10:41 AM (PDT)

2009 Hyundai Genesis 4.6 4dr Sedan (4.6L 8cyl 6A)

The 2009 Genesis/4dr Sdn 4.6L V8 I have leased since 07/09 from Sheehy Nissan Hyundai is a true lemon! Even after submitting a lemon law complaint to to dealership and Hyundai Motor America for numerous electrical issues, replacement of the transmission, catalytic converter burn out, interior frnt. windshield condensation build up during the cold months, gear shift sticking on more one occasion, starter switch being replaced, steering column control switch failure, the rubber seal in the sun roof coming out, brake light failure, they still refuse to take this piece of junk back! I believe it's a faulty parts problem as some of their car have had the same issues. Hyundai Assurance (Not)!!!

Bad Tires O Genesis
By jspong002 on 05/11/11 10:47 AM (PDT)

2009 Hyundai Genesis 3.8 4dr Sedan (3.8L 6cyl 6A)

After only 7500 miles my two rear tires were completely bald. The dealer replaced them commenting they had never seen anything like that before. After the next 8000 miles the remaing two tires were also bald, but the dealer and Hyundai refused to replace. Do not buy a Hyundai with Dunlop Sp Sport 5000 m tires. Insist the dealer change them or don't buy the car. These are junk tires and should never be put on a car, as they are unsafe.

Honestly.. Very Disappointed!!
By tigerbill61 on 05/06/11 16:50 PM (PDT)

2009 Hyundai Genesis 4.6 4dr Sedan (4.6L 8cyl 6A)

Sadly bought my 4.6 LOADED brand new after reading about All the Great reviews. Its now been 2 years since my regretable purchase. Please let me reassure you I am a REAL Person and not a rep from some other ripoff car company like BMW! Tires very cheap replaced at 12,000 miles! Key needs to be within 1 foot or placed in slot to operate the pushbutton start!. Terrible in the snow and wet roads with the rear drive! Backup camera works 50% of time! You need a Hyundai brand I-Pod cable to work you I-Pod connection (Extra 75.00) Hmm never mentioned! The Transmnission shifting is a Nightmare and very embarrasing! Frequent updates for stereo _ etc. Im outta words with alottt more to say!

Wouldn't Buy Another One
By Anonymous on 12/06/10 00:00 AM (PST)

2009 Hyundai Genesis 3.8 4dr Sedan (3.8L 6cyl 6A)

This car is not an entrance to the luxury class by a long shot. The transmission in my car is an abomination to the name of luxury car. It shifts with jerky motions, can't find the gear it needs to run in and has to catch up to the engine after braking. Two trips to the dealership and I have been assured that this transmission is within Hyundai specs. The cruise control loses 3MPH up any grade hill and gains up to 3MPH down the hill. I have a 2002 I-35 that keeps set speed dead-on. I think Hyundai needs to reverse engineer an Infinity transmission and cruise control. The ride is rough and the engine is noisy. Other than that the car is OK.

Terrible Car / Forgettable experience
By Sandy on 12/02/10 00:00 AM (PST)

2009 Hyundai Genesis 3.8 4dr Sedan (3.8L 6cyl 6A)

After almost decades of owning premium / luxury cars, I made the regrettable decision to buy a Hyundai. All my friends and family were skeptical. I have spent the past several months working with dealers and HMA Consumer Affairs to address the problems. Every time they tell me they DO NOT see the problems. Is anyone else having these problems? The whole experience has been extremely disappointing. 1. Rattling / grinding sound when driving at lower gears 2. Jerky transmission shifts 3. Squeaking / cranking sound from the rear seat when driving 4. Loud rumbling noise when starting the car 5. Vibrations while driving 6. Tires worn out at 25k miles 7. Cruise control does not work

Great car even with problems
By Genesis on 11/28/10 00:00 AM (PST)

2009 Hyundai Genesis 4.6 4dr Sedan (4.6L 8cyl 6A)

I bought mine used w/ 18,000 miles on it. It's the 3.8 w/ all options and now has 25,000 miles on it. It has been flawless with one exception - an electrical problem that effected the stereo. After replacing all components (some twice), Hyundai had over $18,000 in parts at retail price back into it. I was also without it for at least a month. Also, I hadn't had the car for a week when the a stone hit the condenser and I was hit with a $530 bill to fix it. Overall, I haven't been pleased with they responses from Hyundai, but the dealership tried hard to make my happy. All of that aside, I still love the car.

E Class MB has nothing on this car!
By lag on 10/31/10 00:00 AM (PDT)

2009 Hyundai Genesis 3.8 4dr Sedan (3.8L 6cyl 6A)

The factory Dunlop Sport 5000 tires were a disaster--noisy, rough riding. They might be fine if your planning on doing some late night "drifting"in your local Walmart parking lot! I doubt that most purchased this car with that in mind! Most of my driving is long distance touring and those tires were not compatible with that driving style--replaced with Kumho Ecsta LX Platinum "sneaks"--what a difference--very quiet--very smooth--great wet road traction and all but eliminated that choppy ride except on real bumpy back roads. Not quite the ride of the E Class MB (realistically the benchmark of "smooth") I dumped but real close on the open road--definitely not worth the price difference!

Pros and cons
By npg on 10/20/10 00:00 AM (PDT)

2009 Hyundai Genesis 3.8 4dr Sedan (3.8L 6cyl 6A)

Unless you own a tire shop, don't buy. Although maintained properly, the rear (drive) tires were junk in 15,000 miles! Don't buy the optional GPS/Camera System---Pitiful! Rides like a tank!

The Edmunds TCO® estimated monthly insurance payment for a 2009 Hyundai Genesis in VA is:

$117 per month*