2001 Honda Prelude 2.2L 4-cyl. 5-speed Manual Consumer Review - fast n fun

2001 Honda Prelude - Consumer Review

2001 Honda Prelude 2dr Coupe (2.2L 4cyl 5M)

Base Coupe (2.2L 4-cyl. 5-speed Manual)

fast n fun
By nateg on

2001 Honda Prelude 2dr Coupe (2.2L 4cyl 5M)

I've had this car for a little over a year. Its a lot of fun to drive (10). Good straight line power and one the best handling cars I've ever driven. 80,000 miles and feels very solid. It has lots of low end torque for a honda, and is amazing when in VTEC. Very good ride when considering how good it is around the twisties. However its not without its faults. My engine uses oil, makes my white bumper black. Bad timing belt tensioner design. "Get r done" interior (no frills). This car hates cold weather. The normally buttery smooth 5 speed notches into gear, and the interior and front suspension creeks when it gets below freezing. It doesn't get around in the snow very well either for a FWD.

Favorite Features

Appearance(love it or hate it). Handling! VTEC-Knowing you have the only honda VTEC 4 banger with torque, not to mention some serious HP too. Reliable for the caliber of performance offered. Ride. Solidness. Stereo. Brakes. Motor. Sunroof! Uniqueness (only 12,000 made a year). Confidence.

Suggested Improvements

6 speed for better gas mileage, its got plenty of torque to push it. Too heavy... feels nimble but it would be a beast if it weighed 500 pounds less. That or give me another 50 hp. stop burning oil! Put a manual tensioner on the timing belt. Make the seats a little more comfortable for long trips.