Used 2004 Ford Thunderbird Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2004 Ford Thunderbird - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Thunderbird model:

So Much For So Little
By Wayne Brooks

2004 Ford Thunderbird Deluxe 2dr Convertible (3.9L 8cyl 5A)

When I saw the Thunderbird in a car magazine I ran to my Ford Dealership and said I want one. He told me it would be $10,000 over sticker. I said I would wait until they had 10 of them and balloons hanging off of them in a few years. That was in 2000; I waited four years. And saw two of them on the Ford lot. Went in and bought it for $3000 off. It is the only car I have ever owned more than a year that I still can't get enough of it. I love the complements. Very reliable. No leaks, no problems.

The style! The Red! The comments!

The "Thunderbird" insignia on the rear has come unglued twice because of the curve of the body. Fix it.

rims/tires
By Gene

2004 Ford Thunderbird Deluxe 2dr Convertible (3.9L 8cyl 5A)

Ford does not stand behind product. Tires leak air as much as 15 pounds per week. Have been to 3 dealerships 6 times and they refuse to acknowledge rim problem as others and tire dealers have told me is the problem. Ford wants to glue the rims to tires and void tire warranty. Every tire leaks different amount of air, have kept daily log but they still refuse to acknowledge rim problem.

Looks.

Ford does not stand behind product. Have called Ford directly 2 times and emailed them 3 times, no response. Have been to 5 dealers on same problem six times to no avail.

T bird
By Steve

2004 Ford Thunderbird Deluxe 2dr Convertible (3.9L 8cyl 5A)

I am 6'2 and have problems driving the vehicle. I am also a mechanic, and find it very difficult to do the simplest of all chores on this vehicle. I am not a fan of the automatic transmission; I think Ford should have offered a five speed or six speed manual with the vehicle. The car does rattle and have some squeaks, but that's a Ford product for ya. Also the hard top leaks and is difficult to put on. Pros - the car is a head turner. Everywhere I go with it, people look. The seats are indeed comfortable, and the sound system is really nice. As for design, I love the way it emulates the old T-birds. The convertible top is great, and it's easy to operate. The 3.9L V8 runs smoothly.

Styling, convertible top, seats, audio design.

Make sure the top doesn't leak, fix all the rattles and squeaks, car could be a little more solid. Guess it's a little late for improvement though.

Strange issues
By SFV-Man

2004 Ford Thunderbird Deluxe 2dr Convertible (3.9L 8cyl 5A)

The charm and joy of driving is great. The quirks heating (SaunaBird) of the interior when idling is awful, transmission still slams into Drive, clock (third) still runs slow, rattling top, electronic bugs, lack of amenities (like a stripped Lincoln LS), etc. For the price this is a slapped together car. Too bad. Many trips to dealer did not work out the problems. Ford didn't help. Ford made this car an orphan and dropped it at the orphanage. Bill Ford should be ashamed.

Style, fun to drive, great highway cruiser, very comfortable cruiser. Even a useable trunk.

Stop the engine heating of the interior at idle. Make the top fit and attach better. Get a $1.00 clock, it would be better than what is supplied. Equip it like the LS it's based on.

Thunderbird Ride
By David F. Candelaria

2004 Ford Thunderbird Deluxe 2dr Convertible (3.9L 8cyl 5A)

My wife and I, who are in our early 50's were looking for a convertible for Sunday and getaway drives to the coast. We test drove several cars, all convertibles, a Crossfire SRT (330 h.p.), a Nissan 350 & a Vette. The Crossfire was simply too small. The Vette actually body swayed at high speeds. The Nissan was nice but too many on the road. The T-Bird was perfect! We got the premium package and it's a great ride with good road feel and more than enough power with 280 horses. It's a very comfortable ride and the Select Shift is good on curved roads. The stereo is great with three settings for top down, up and driver alone in car. Further, there's not too many on the road.

The Select Shift, the power top and the the stereo. Also, the looks, if you look at the rear, the back looks like a 67 Alpha Romeo, the one in the movie The Graduate. The front end looks like a German art deco design. The interior is really comfortable with enough room to take long drives.

A bit more power, the 2004 and 2005 put out 280 horses, it would be nice if it had 320 or more. I'm going to put in a supercharger when my warrant runs out. Perhaps a navigational system and a bit more information, like m.p.g., miles to empty and the normal stuff that even my '84 533 has as standard.