Used 2004 Ford Thunderbird Convertible Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2004 Ford Thunderbird - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Thunderbird model:

Most Helpful|
Sunday driver
By StevenCP

2004 Ford Thunderbird Convertible Premium 2dr Convertible w/Removable Hard Top (3.9L 8cyl 5A)

Love to drive it to the country club or for sunday drives in the country.

fun, fun, fun
By jackiedee

i love my powder blue t-bird for around town. it just makes people smile and give you the thumbs up sign. it is a little difficult to remove hard top. once it was off--i kept it off. the soft top up and down feature does not measure up to my saab convertible that self latches and does not need a boot cover. the t-bird has tons of pick-up and is good off the line which is important in LA. i plan on putting few miles on this car and keeping it for a long time.

Favorite Features

i think the design is very cool. you know going into this that this is no costco car for bulk shopping. this car is fun--not a kiddie mobile. like the heated seats and my stainless package and color insert seats. dash etc. is not so confusing. what you see is what you get. love it.

Suggested Improvements

the soft top should self latch--it is too difficult right now. you really need two people--one on top outside to smash top down and someone inside to make latches work and seal top. ford should check out saab.

Fun, Fun, Fun
By Chuck's '04 PCR

2004 Ford Thunderbird Convertible Deluxe 2dr Convertible (3.9L 8cyl 5A)

I love my bird! For the first year, all I had to do was sit down behind that little hood scoop and I'd get this enormous grin. Like the others have said, you get a gazillion comments and many envious looks. We got the PCR for the grey top and interior since we were going to move to FL and didn't want the heat of the black top and interior. For those who don't know, this is a Lincoln LS shortened by 6"; the LS is essentially a Jaguar S-Type with a de-tuned engine. So I have to laugh when I see or hear comments about the "little" car! The lines are so perfect that you don't realize it's full-sized, but I have to pay a small weight penalty with my FL plates every year! Keeping it forever.

Favorite Features

Looks! I still get jealous when I see my wife driving it! Drives like a dream, really holds the road nicely. Seats are comfortable for my 6', overweight, bad back. Stereo sounds good. Did I say it's gorgeous? Even little kids smile and point it out! After 3 yrs, I still grin like an idiot

Suggested Improvements

Mileage could be a bit better. French tranny could use a downshift cable and not hang out in neutral so much. I get tired of it slamming back into gear. Has been in the shop far too much for a $40k+ vehicle from 2004. Open trunk lid drips into the trunk, roof drips on your leg when the door's open.

Things can go wrong
By Linda

My T-bird has had 6 engine coils replaced in less then 52,00 miles. The radio/CD player replaced 4 times. The engine thermostat replaced along with fan assembly. The hard top leaks and ford refuses to fix. It is normal to have some leakage. The brakes replaced 4 times. No I am not hard on brakes. The driver side rear quarter panel no longer lays flat with rest of body surface. The car stopped dead on the 15 freeway coming from Vegas in the fast lane without warning. The black paint faded in spots. The soft top frays in two areas. The T-bird fun to drive. But very expensive and does not provide the quality expected from Ford. Or does it?

Suggested Improvements

Replacement insurance or warranty extended. Recall of car for common complaints by current owners.

Could Not Help Myself
By corkyf

A neighbor of my announced Friday that he wanted to sell his 2004 Pacific Coast Roadster T-bird with 16,300 miles. Monday I owned a T-bird. I drove it yesterday on a 350 mile trip and am very impressed with the car. It has less wind noise than any other convertible I've owned. It cruises on the highway great and has super 60 to 80 passing power on two lane roads. The seats are comfortable and the radio/cd player sounds good. The top is a breeze to put up and down. Mine has the original tires and they ride great. This car makes a super adult roadster. It rides great and has very nice retro styling. Baby Boomers can't do better. I think buying one now is a great investment.

Favorite Features

More Power than expected. Quieter than expected...both with top up and down. Transmission is smooth. soft top fabric is better than expected. Radio sounds great & seats are comfortable. Heated seats work great. Good leg room width. Classic looks. Porthole hardtop looks nice.

Suggested Improvements

The pacific coast roadster has synthetic suede inserts in the seats instead of full leather. They look great now, but I don't think they will wear as well as full leather over the next 20 years. Otherwise it's perfect!