1996 Dodge Intrepid 3.3L V6 4-speed Automatic Consumer Review - Not a Safe Car!

1996 Dodge Intrepid - Consumer Review

Not a Safe Car!
By Marc H on

1996 Dodge Intrepid 4dr Sedan

I may have only had this car for a year, but since then I have experienced a broken inner left tie rout and outer right tie rod. The inner left one broke and made it impossible to steer while going around the corner. The transmission is absolute garbage and has a rough 2-1 downshift. The oilpan is almost rusted through. Car has gone though a set of brand new front tires within 25,000km, with no alignment issues. Engine overheats periodically, and there has been a mysterious check engine light for about 3 months now. I'll be honest with you, this car may have been wrecked before I even bought it. But many of these problems are far too serious to be blamed simply on abuse or negligence!

Favorite Features

Huge trunk, excellent gas mileage for such a large car. Beautiful exterior, cheap replacement parts, and a strong 3.3L engine that really has been the best part of the car so far.

Suggested Improvements

I would not reccomend this car or any other new Chrysler product to anyone. The faulty suspension design has been well documented on these cars, but Chrysler continues to deny everything. As the cars get older, there will no doubt be more of these incidents [possibly fatal] if nothing is done.