Used 1996 Dodge Intrepid Sedan Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

1996 Dodge Intrepid Sedan - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Intrepid model:

Not a Safe Car!
By Marc H

1996 Dodge Intrepid Sedan 4dr Sedan

I may have only had this car for a year, but since then I have experienced a broken inner left tie rout and outer right tie rod. The inner left one broke and made it impossible to steer while going around the corner. The transmission is absolute garbage and has a rough 2-1 downshift. The oilpan is almost rusted through. Car has gone though a set of brand new front tires within 25,000km, with no alignment issues. Engine overheats periodically, and there has been a mysterious check engine light for about 3 months now. I'll be honest with you, this car may have been wrecked before I even bought it. But many of these problems are far too serious to be blamed simply on abuse or negligence!

Huge trunk, excellent gas mileage for such a large car. Beautiful exterior, cheap replacement parts, and a strong 3.3L engine that really has been the best part of the car so far.

I would not reccomend this car or any other new Chrysler product to anyone. The faulty suspension design has been well documented on these cars, but Chrysler continues to deny everything. As the cars get older, there will no doubt be more of these incidents [possibly fatal] if nothing is done.

Great vehicle and fun to drive
By jaeggergs

1996 Dodge Intrepid Sedan ES 4dr Sedan

Bought this vehicle as a demo with 5200 miles on it. It has been one of the best reliable, dependable vehicles I've ever owned. Love the performance of the vehicle. Hugs corners with Pirelli's. I have 187,000 miles on the vehicle. Replaced the engine, rebuilt the tranny & it still runs like a dream. Front end now goes about every 2 years. About $800. to repair. Having a hard time letting this vehicle go. Prefer driving it in bad weather over my SUV. Don't like the black "paper" between front & back doors as it peels off. That's the worst I can say about this vehicle. Only stuck once and that's when the engine went with no warning. This vehicle owes me nothing. Would recommend to anyone

Hugs corners with Pirelli tires. Nice performance. Roomy interior. Sporty looking sedan (ES). Got well over 100,000 miles on engine and tranny. Good gas mileage. Superb handling in bad weather.

Get rid of the paper between front & rear doors. Better speakers. Had issues with check engine light staying on. It took 3 dealerships to figure it out.

Wonderful Car
By luvmydodge

1996 Dodge Intrepid Sedan ES 4dr Sedan

Overall this is a great car. I bought it with 60k miles on it and I finally had to let it go. I sold it because the transmission finally went out but this was after 280k miles. That was the only mechanical problem with this car.

Styling, engine sound with hard acceleration. Powerful engine for it's class. I am over 6 feet tall and it was one of the few cars I could fit in comfortably

Bring this design back. The later model intrepids had no room for tall people.

Give it up
By kevin

1996 Dodge Intrepid Sedan ES 4dr Sedan

This was my wife's car. She bought it brand new. She would not part with it even after it started having problems. After 10 years we have replaced the tie rods twice, the air conditioner compressor, had it painted, replaced the serpetine belt twice, the water pump three times, struts, tires several times more than we should have due to the tie rods. The motor after was finally replaced last year because the oil sending unit and pump went out and we could put a new engine in from a wrecked one cheaper than we could fix the oil pump problems. The car rides great, just not very mechannicaly sound. Also the door gaskets kept falling off.

The interior.

A lot, read above.

Not bad so far
By Bartbilt

1996 Dodge Intrepid Sedan ES 4dr Sedan

Good reliability and MPG, up to 30mpg on highway witht the 3.3 V6. No transmission problems. I'm 6'4" and have plenty of leg room, even with the console shifter. A\C broke and I have no intentions of fixing it. Currently have 147,000 miles on it with a few oil leaks. Handles well in the snow. I inherited the car from my wife and use it mainly to commute to work, 50 miles per day. Exterior is holding up well with regular washes and yearly waxing. Black exterior trim pieces are peeling. Also, lost two of the four center hubcaps on the wheels. Noticed that most others with the same wheels are missing some or all of the hubcabs. Wanting to see how many miles this thing will go.

Leg room and MPG

Driver seat padding is thin and the backrest is a bit short