1996 Dodge Intrepid Sedan - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Intrepid model:
Intrepididation
By pdg on 04/16/04 00:00 AM (PDT)

1996 Dodge Intrepid Sedan 4dr Sedan

Within 8 years: ~ replaced MacPherson struts ~ replaced rack and pinion steering ~ replaced brake cylinder ~ replaced tansmission - TWICE!

mikeeee
By mike hollaway on 03/13/04 00:00 AM (PST)

1996 Dodge Intrepid Sedan 4dr Sedan

reliable, but front tie rods give me trouble

By akent on 03/03/04 00:00 AM (PST)

1996 Dodge Intrepid Sedan 4dr Sedan

When I bought this car it was clean and very nice looking.Test drove well,after about 3 months front end had to have work,then I had to buy a computer,a couple of window motors,front end work again rack and pinion cost$1,100 to fix. radio only worked when it wanted to.The a/c was really ice cube cold,when it worked.Did not have any trouble with heat.I did have to put a water pumpand a thermastat.Finally gave it back to the finance company,did not care about credit.going broke on repairs anyway.

Cheap overall cost - but needed repairs
By 150kMileIntrepid on 02/22/04 00:00 AM (PST)

1996 Dodge Intrepid Sedan 4dr Sedan

Bought in '96 w/ 64k mi for $9k. The car rides great, good mileage for a car of it's size, and is roomy. Here are the repairs I've made: A/C rebuilt $1200, Steering Rack $1000, Cyl. Head Gaskets & Engine Cradle Bushings $1200, Sway Bars, Struts, Tie Rods $1700 at 145k mi. Susp/steering has a bit to be desired. Overall cost of ownership was ~ $0.29 per mile. Cheap to own - but it has its problems - calling it quits w/ when the next repair bill rolls in - can't really expect too much more than 150k mi w/ this car I think. Yeah, I needed to make alot of repairs but it was still cheaper to own than a camry etc. - and roomier to. I'd buy another used one.

Thought it would be fun - it wasn't
By onebigswede on 10/20/03 00:00 AM (PDT)

1996 Dodge Intrepid Sedan 4dr Sedan

When I bought this car it seemed to be in pretty good condition. It had 69,000 miles on it, as well as a spotless interior and exterior. Shortly after i purchased it it began having problems from a non-working air conditioner, to brake problems, to the on-board computer going bad, etc etc etc. Finally in October 2003 the engine had a blow up and would have cost $3500 dollars to fix. Needless to say I am now saying good riddance. I don't know if the car's previous owner just abused the car, or what, but i never had more than a month or two of trouble free car ownership while i had this car.

Avoid at ALL Costs!!!
By anti-dodge on 09/26/03 00:00 AM (PDT)

1996 Dodge Intrepid Sedan ES 4dr Sedan

This car is a member of the "Break-down of the Month Club". It's one major expense after another. Transmission went out with no warning signs, Headlights have quit functioning twice (entire switch assembly on the steering column had to be replaced three times), The check engine light has been on more that off with assorted sensors going out, fuel pump, windshield wipes quit working, sunroof motor had to be replaced, and various suspension repairs.

I love my Intrepid
By Joe Dow on 09/19/03 00:00 AM (PDT)

1996 Dodge Intrepid Sedan ES 4dr Sedan

I have had my "96"Intrepid for 7 years, and it has started for me every time I went out to start it. A while back we went on a trip and we averaged 29 miles to the gallon. This is why I am ordering a new one this year. I heard this was going to be the last year for the Intrepid, and I want a new one.

Roomy car with pep.
By Tall Guy, tall kids on 08/24/03 00:00 AM (PDT)

1996 Dodge Intrepid Sedan ES 4dr Sedan

Smooth riding, with lots of pep. Very roomy in front, back, & trunk. Great visibility. Very reliable. No disappointments. The only thing to fail in 7 years is an ABS sensor on a rear wheel, although the radio buttons have become erratic while still being useful.

Looks great, but...
By JT on 08/11/03 00:00 AM (PDT)

1996 Dodge Intrepid Sedan ES 4dr Sedan

I bought this car because I had read good reviews about it, and for the price I paid, I got a lot of car. It is very fun to drive, with the 3.5L engine, there is plenty of juice in the pedal. The car is very roomy, and the styling is great. But once that novelty wore off, I found a car riddled with expensive issues such as porr tranny, front end issues, a/c evap coils that cost almost $1g to fix... the list goes on and on. Now I know that I got WAY more than I bargained for. The car is a ticking bomb.

Best car I've ever owned!
By Rozzie on 08/10/03 00:00 AM (PDT)

1996 Dodge Intrepid Sedan 4dr Sedan

I have 143,000 on my intrepid and it's still going strong. It's the best car I've owned. It's a smooth ride & very dependable.