2000 Dodge Dakota - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Dakota model:
My New truck
By francyfree2 on 09/13/02 00:00 AM (PDT)

2000 Dodge Dakota Sport Plus 2dr Regular Cab 4WD SB

This is a very good looking truck and feels good to drive. It also is very comfortable. But so far there are two drawbacks. Highway gas milage is averaging out to at the most 16 mpg. We were told by the salesman that it had a towing package and could pull our lightweight 22ft. prowler travel trailer. But when we come back from the oregon coast which are small hills it over heats on us. Now we are afraid to take a trip where there are real mountains. So that is our delima.

Fantastic
By Brian1330 on 08/19/02 00:00 AM (PDT)

2000 Dodge Dakota 2dr Extended Cab SB

This is a great truck to drive. It has the power and the looks. I drove several trucks before buying the Dakota, and I couldn't beat the room. For the same price as a compact truck why not buy the midsize Dakota. You wouldn't be sorry.

Good Truck
By Autolycus on 08/15/02 00:00 AM (PDT)

2000 Dodge Dakota SLT 2dr Extended Cab 4WD SB

Extended Cab 4x4, 4.7L with auto. So far the truck has preformed well. It handles good, rides smooth, accelerates great, turns sharp and is comfortable for a truck. It hauls and pulls loads as well as a full size. The 4x4 works good. The fit and finish is very good. No problems with the truck.

Best Small Truck
By mettech on 08/05/02 00:00 AM (PDT)

2000 Dodge Dakota Sport 2dr Regular Cab SB

Very pleased with the truck. Now looking to get a full size quad cab.

You get what you pay for!
By texasgunrunner on 08/03/02 00:00 AM (PDT)

2000 Dodge Dakota SLT Plus 4dr Crew Cab 4WD SB

My Dakota performs well in spite of how I abuse it. For a V8 4x4, the gas mileage acceptable. It has been extremely reliable - and I put 30K miles on it the first year!. The only serious issue was the AC clutch bearing failed, which I replaced myself. I did upgrade the cheesy factory front rotors. For all the other reviewers who bought the low-end versions econo- versions ("It lacks power with a 2.5L engine..." duh! it is a truck!) - you get what you pay for and you should have had a V8. This is no featherweight Nissan putt-putt - it is a real vehicle, so get a real engine and then we'll talk.

Awesome truck!
By HateDodge on 07/14/02 00:00 AM (PDT)

2000 Dodge Dakota Sport 2dr Regular Cab SB

I wonder why people never say anything bad about dodge dakota

Amazing!!!!
By DakAtak on 06/20/02 00:00 AM (PDT)

2000 Dodge Dakota Sport 2dr Extended Cab 4WD SB

Wonderful to drive....amazing 0-60 times for a 4X4. And amazing off road capability!! Plus I am getting 18 mpg in the city and around 25 on the highway!!

So far, an excellent truck
By RDT on 06/20/02 00:00 AM (PDT)

2000 Dodge Dakota Sport 2dr Extended Cab SB

Have had the truck 2 years before it had to go to the shop with a minor problem with pollution control. No other repairs since purchased. Excellent power with the V8 even when towing. Good handling in the snow with 4WD. Excellent wear on the tires. Just about time for new front brakes but that is because of a lot of towing trailers without electric brakes. Would definitely buy another.

sollar yellow
By dak on 06/15/02 00:00 AM (PDT)

2000 Dodge Dakota Sport 2dr Extended Cab SB

overall this is a good truck for the exeption of the auto trany that sleeps all the time when passing.

Can't wait for end of lease
By MerleB on 06/07/02 00:00 AM (PDT)

2000 Dodge Dakota SLT 2dr Extended Cab SB

A year to go on my lease and I can't wait to get back into a car. This truck combines poor gas mileage with mediocre performance, a great combination. It is truly gutless. Ride, handling and braking are also poor. It desperately needs a third door for rear seat access which is truly awkward. It is also helpless during Michigan winters without snow tires.