Used 2000 Dodge Dakota Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2000 Dodge Dakota - Consumer Reviews

2000 Dodge Dakota

View reviews for a specific Dakota model:

More bark than bite
By ruffles

2000 Dodge Dakota R/T Sport 2dr Extended Cab SB

I purchased this R/T on Ebay almost one year ago. Replaced the idler pulley,v-belt, and water pump. Overall, the truck turns heads everywhere I go. Sounds excellent through factory single exhaust (not sure what genius put single exhaust on a performance truck). The truck is fun to drive. Fuel economy is about 14 in the city and 17 on the highway. Truck has a 5.9 v-8 and only produces 250hp. Most hondas with a couple of mods can beat me on any given day. Looks mean, sounds mean, feels mean. Stock with k&n filter runs high 14's in quarter mile.

Favorite Features

Looks,Sound,Torque. Handles like a dream car(can take 30 mph curves at 50 with little effort). Does not like bumpy roads.

Suggested Improvements

Eliminate rev limiter on trans(wont shift from 1 to 2 umless you back off of gas pedal). Add dual exhaust/headers. More exclusive r/t items. Club cab should have third door for easy access.

Dodge Dakota R/T
By DrewD

2000 Dodge Dakota R/T Sport 2dr Extended Cab SB

Dodge far and away builds the poorest vehicle I have ever owned. This truck not only depreciates the fastest of any American vehicle but the milage rating was overstated by almost twice what it got. Also when the dealership was questioned about the poor milage and the engine miss I was told "yes I can hear it but Dodge won't authorize us to fix it" For having as large of an engine as it did it was not fast. For a 2000 the idea that Dodge uses the same undercarrige as a 1970 car pretty much tell the story on the funding they put into research and development. Never will I look at a Dodge\Chrysler vehicle again.

Favorite Features

The one redeiming feature was the color, Intense Blue.

Suggested Improvements

four doors on the extended cab, seats that would allow the driver to set for more than 20/25 min. An engine that would make decent horsepower/torque 300/300 and still get decent milage 17/23 mpg city/hiway. Suspension from this era, drum brakes and stamped steel A-arms NAH!

Dodge Dakota Quad Cab
By George Barnett

2000 Dodge Dakota SLT 4dr Crew Cab SB

Like the looks of the vehicle but the poor quality qickly caught my attention. Tires were an issue from the test drive, dealer replaced 2 before I replaced the whole set, engine pulled at 18k and new seals installed, electrical problem, brake caliper and brakes completely replaced at 24K, dealer said was normal, dealer says control arms needed replacing about the same time. Rattles developed in the dash (which drove us crazy) never got them quited down) along with the bed which I later found was not fasten on straight. Plastic fastners came loose around windshield and on firewall. I understand why the dealership high pressured the extended warranty.

Favorite Features

Looks, engine ran good and sounded good, rode like a car, plenty of rear seat room and car like entry.

Suggested Improvements

There would have to be a lot of mechanical improvement before I would buy another. I was afraid the payments would outlast the longevity of the vehicle.

Great truck
By davestar

2000 Dodge Dakota SLT 4dr Crew Cab 4WD SB

I bought this truck brand new and since I have spent next to nothing on repairs. it is the perfect size and has plenty of room for me and the family. the box size is a bit small. Love the truck .

Favorite Features

the four doors and v8

Suggested Improvements

none

It's been a great Truck
By sidestick

2000 Dodge Dakota SLT Plus 4dr Crew Cab SB

Love my Quad Cab. Not too many problems to speak of. Would reccomend it to anyone who wants a good truck that is fun to drive. Lots of low end power.

Favorite Features

4.7L V8

Suggested Improvements

Lighted stearing buttons