Used 2000 Dodge Dakota Consumer Reviews - 112 Car Reviews | Edmunds

2000 Dodge Dakota - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Dakota model:

00 Dodge Dak 3.9L ext cab 2wd
By Matt

2000 Dodge Dakota Sport 2dr Extended Cab SB

Have owned this truck from 00 to present. This has to be the best vehicle I have ever purchased. I have had this truck in the garage once for the check engine light. The problem was a faulty gas cap. Other than routine maitenance...I have not had one problem! (knock on wood). Nice ride for a truck. I am thouroughly displeased with the 05 design. Looks like the new Mitsubishi Raider is going to be my future purchase...same truck with better warranty.

Ride comfort. I'm 6'2", cabin fits me very comfortably...long trips don't wear me down. Controls are easy access, not a cluster of buttons to blow the optic nerve. I enjoy the simplicity. Plenty of cargo space in the bed. Infinity radio system cranks w/limited distortion.

Stock front brakes stink. I have replaced pads with ceramic. The squeal is gone. I wonder if they should have used bigger rotors? The paint job was pretty shoddy. Another coat of paint prior to clear coat would have done the trick.

Great Truck, sad to sell it
By ChrisM

2000 Dodge Dakota SLT Plus 2dr Extended Cab 4WD SB

I have been the sole owner of this truck and have loved driving it. It performs EXCELLENT off-road with the 4.7L engine. I have been in many questionable situations off-road and it has pulled me through with no issues at all. As a daily driver it has also been very reliable with good gas mileage considering it's a V8. Plenty of get up and go to get on the freeway or around town.

Engine power, exhaust sound, ground clearance, ease of driving, visibility, and good gas mileage (18-20 hwy).

Overload springs would be nice for heavy loads. The braking is a bit spongy, disc brakes in the back would help.

2000 Dodge Dakota
By ealflyer

2000 Dodge Dakota SLT Plus 4dr Crew Cab SB

Wanted a crew cab style truck. Looked at all of them and settled on the Dodge Dakota. It came with all the bells & whistles that I wanted. I've been very happy with its versitility. I can lig just about anything. The vehicle runs great with that big 4.7 V8 in it. Fuel economy could be better as I'm getting about 16 mpg other wise I'm happy

Big rear seating, compass and digital displays, excellent handling and high visibility.

Fuel economy needs improvement. Should be up around 20 in town/ 24 highway

More bark than bite
By ruffles

2000 Dodge Dakota R/T Sport 2dr Extended Cab SB

I purchased this R/T on Ebay almost one year ago. Replaced the idler pulley,v-belt, and water pump. Overall, the truck turns heads everywhere I go. Sounds excellent through factory single exhaust (not sure what genius put single exhaust on a performance truck). The truck is fun to drive. Fuel economy is about 14 in the city and 17 on the highway. Truck has a 5.9 v-8 and only produces 250hp. Most hondas with a couple of mods can beat me on any given day. Looks mean, sounds mean, feels mean. Stock with k&n filter runs high 14's in quarter mile.

Looks,Sound,Torque. Handles like a dream car(can take 30 mph curves at 50 with little effort). Does not like bumpy roads.

Eliminate rev limiter on trans(wont shift from 1 to 2 umless you back off of gas pedal). Add dual exhaust/headers. More exclusive r/t items. Club cab should have third door for easy access.

Dodge Dakota R/T
By DrewD

2000 Dodge Dakota R/T Sport 2dr Extended Cab SB

Dodge far and away builds the poorest
vehicle I have ever owned. This truck
not only depreciates the fastest of
any American vehicle but the milage
rating was overstated by almost twice
what it got. Also when the dealership
was questioned about the poor milage
and the engine miss I was told "yes I
can hear it but Dodge won't authorize
us to fix it" For having as large of
an engine as it did it was not fast.
For a 2000 the idea that Dodge uses
the same undercarrige as a 1970 car
pretty much tell the story on the
funding they put into research and
development. Never will I look at a
Dodge\Chrysler vehicle again.

The one redeiming feature was the color, Intense Blue.

four doors on the extended cab, seats that would allow the driver to set for more than 20/25 min. An engine that would make decent horsepower/torque 300/300 and still get decent milage 17/23 mpg city/hiway. Suspension from this era, drum brakes and stamped steel A-arms NAH!