Used 2006 Chevrolet Silverado 1500HD Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2006 Chevrolet Silverado-1500hd - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Silverado 1500HD model:

Silverado Success
By Cajun Silverado

2006 Chevrolet Silverado 1500HD LT1 4dr Crew Cab SB (6.0L 8cyl 4A)

My '06 Chevy Silverado 1500HD with 6.0 liter V8 is an awesome truck. I tow a 31' 5th wheel camper all day long at 70mph all over the country. Gas mileage stinks, but I didn't buy it for fuel economy. At 67,000 miles in two years, I'll run it until the wheels fall off.

Favorite Features

Engine, towing capacity, looks, build quality, reliability.

Suggested Improvements

Tow mirrors (had to add aftermarket)

2006 HD 2500
By rick

2006 Chevrolet Silverado 1500HD LT3 4dr Crew Cab SB (6.0L 8cyl 4A)

I have owned 5 Silverado's since 1999, would not consider another truck, my new HD with the 6.6 and Allison transmission is an awesome truck. Pulling my 5th wheel or any of my other toys and equipment is a no problem with this powerful truck. I am sold on the duramax with allison transmission. Excellent truck GM.

Favorite Features

Duramax, Allison transmission, DVD, 4wd, leather interior, allow wheels.

Suggested Improvements

Larger standard tires, solid cover for sun roof.

Love the truck but not the fuel mileage
By Luvmytruck

2006 Chevrolet Silverado 1500HD LT1 4dr Crew Cab 4WD SB (6.0L 8cyl 4A)

I am a line driver for a local trucking company and when I get back to the yard I can't wait to get in my 2006 Chevy 2500HD. It is very comfortable to drive and has an abundance of power. It feels extremely stable on the road, its a dream to drive even compared to my wifes 2003 Tahoe. The one and only gripe I have with the truck is the fuel mileage, even though it sits at the yard most of the week it seems like all I do is put gas in that bottomless tank. I understand that you have to have a give and take for the power available but somewhere between 9 and 10 MPG is a little extreme. Bottom line I love my truck and will just bite the bullet and deal with the fuel issues.

Favorite Features

The looks I get when driving. I really like the body lines, the enterior is VERY comfortable. Overall it's great!!

Suggested Improvements

The fuel mileage, the factory installed tires leave something to be desired in the area of traction (I put on different tires right away). One other thing do away with the plastic center caps on the wheels, they will get to the point where they won't stay on.

Tow Vehicle
By Kevin VanAntwerp

2006 Chevrolet Silverado 1500HD LT1 4dr Crew Cab 4WD SB (6.0L 8cyl 4A)

We purchased this thruck to pull a 33 ft Americamp trailer (7500 lbs) and I'm pleased with the performance. I find the milage suffers alot at 70 mph, but improves by 20% just by slowing down to 60 mph. It's length can be challenging at times.

Favorite Features

Very roomy and lots of engine.

Suggested Improvements

I would like to see slightly larger side mirrors. I would also like to see a 12 volt access in the rear seat as well as in the bed of the truck.