Used 2008 Chevrolet Silverado 1500 Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2008 Chevrolet Silverado 1500 - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Silverado 1500 model:

2008 Chevrolet Silverado Reg Cab Work Truck 4.8L
By 11johnathan11

2008 Chevrolet Silverado 1500 LT1 2dr Regular Cab 8 ft. LB (4.8L 8cyl 4A)

I have over 5 years and have 45000 miles on it. It has had excellent reliability. I'm still on the original tires. I will replace them around 50000 as they will need it. The only thing I have needed to do was change the front brakes on the truck around 18000 miles and I had to take the truck to the dealer around the 2.8 year mark when the pass door lock stopped working. Apparently this is common because there was another (2007-2012 Chevy Silverado 1500) owner in front of me getting the same pass door lock replaced. Also I had to add some coolant around the 1.5 year mark because in traffic it would start getting warmer as in not in the middle of the gauge where the temp is supposed to be.

Drives great and has been reliable so far.

Make the door locks stronger. Occasionally it idles rough, starting around 800 miles, so far no issues but its made me wonder. I got a notice letter from Chevy but the dealer (Hudiberg, OKC)told me if they inspect it and find nothing wrong I would owe them the hourly maintenance fee.

Trans
By squekie

2008 Chevrolet Silverado 1500 Work Truck 2dr Regular Cab 6.5 ft. SB (4.3L 6cyl 4A)

Have a 2008 Trans went out after 125,000 whats up with that GM ?

Issue after issue
By waschevguy

2008 Chevrolet Silverado 1500 LTZ 4dr Crew Cab 5.8 ft. SB (5.3L 8cyl 4A)

I have to many issues. @ 40,000 miles went through a set of lower ball joints, 45,000 ran out of oil, 55,000 lost a bearing in the font end. GM made me pay $100 for the ball joints. GM replaced deflector plate to prevent from running oil, GM replaced the bearing. I have stock wheel and tires nothing special. Now have 80'000 and going through oil again, the passenger window does not go down. The dealer put on a oil consumption plan and last time over 900 miles it went through 2 quarts. I'm thinking about calling GM, does any one have any suggestions or ideas. My truck is almost paid off and I don't really want to start over.

I really think the truck is very comfortable and enjoy driving it. But with the issues I'm not happy. I have owned several GM's in my life and always been a Chevy guy, but that has changed. Maybe need to look @ forgein truck or maybe a dodge. My wife had a arcadia and it was the same year as my truck and had tons of issues with that also. I hope GM can make this right, hope I can get some feedback on what to do.

Somewhat disappointed!
By str8dwn

2008 Chevrolet Silverado 1500 LS 4dr Crew Cab 4WD 5.8 ft. SB (4.8L 8cyl 4A)

Just want to say that this vehicle has been a good ride so far. Have a 2008, 97000 miles and BAM!!! get this flashing signal that say's service stabil-track control and traction control, and my engine light flashes....Well, take it to the dealer, they call back saying it is a broken valve spring #3...if that doesn't resolve the engine light they say they'll have to change the manifold....Im sorta lost....can anyone help out????

Quality Issues
By 08ltxafret

2008 Chevrolet Silverado 1500 LTZ 4dr Extended Cab 5.8 ft. SB (5.3L 8cyl 4A)

08 LTZ, 48K miles dash is cracked, door lock actuators working intermitently, interior chrome handles chipping, exterior door handle paint pealing off, interior paint chipping from steering wheel and a/c instrument panel. Under warrenty both d/p window channels replaced due to window squeaking (4 trips to dealer), rear tail light assembly replaced due to moisture (2 trips), carpet under brake/gas pedal comming loose (5 trips), p door lock actuator bad (2 trips). Exterior paint is scracthed with the most minor rub.

Improve overall quality of ineterior/exterior parts Improve exterior paint - needs to be more resiliant to minor scratches