Used 2005 Chevrolet Aveo Consumer Reviews - 159 Car Reviews | Edmunds

2005 Chevrolet Aveo - Consumer Reviews

2005 Chevrolet Aveo

View reviews for a specific Aveo model:

Horrible car
By Beth

2005 Chevrolet Aveo LS 4dr Hatchback (1.6L 4cyl 5M)

I bought this car for my first car. I loved how cute it was but after spending a couple thousand extra it isn't worth it i got a paint job my choice. but the car kept randomly shutting off it i touched my brake off it went. we finally found the problem after changing my breather tube everything that goes to fuel. and spending 8,000 dollars.
now my brand new head gasket has blown i hate this car this is now another 2500 dollar fix. do not buy an aveo they suck!

2005 Aveo OK if willing to replace timing belt
By Mike

2005 Chevrolet Aveo LT 4dr Sedan (1.6L 4cyl 5M)

Love my little Aveo. Very handy and easy to drive in city traffic or on long trips. But you have to have a little money set aside for routine manufacturer specified interval maintenance.
If you do this the car is pretty much problem free, offers excellent value and quality for the initial cost, and is an ergonomic gem.
I did my research and replaced the timing belt at 58,000 miles BEFORE anything bad could happen.
It is not a cheap repair ($700) since the water pump and some other routine parts and fluids at this interval also must also be replaced.
But the consequences of not performing the repair are a $2,3000 repair bill and expectation of a week or more of down time to have your engine rebuilt. My mechanic actually had someone else's Aveo in the shop for valve and timing belt replacement and an engine rebuild because that person failed to replace the belt as scheduled. (So if you are flat broke and putting your last bit of savings into purchasing this car: Beware. Cannot recommend to someone in that boat.)
That caveat aside, the Aveo is an excellent for city driving and a great highway cruiser as long as it is not to windy. (It is tall for its size.)
Inside it is roomy and comfortable. I am about 5'7" and my girlfriend is almost a foot taller with long long legs and she can ride in this car, even though she cannot fit into more than half of all cars on the road, including my S10 pickup.
The upright stadium seating is very comfortable for drives up to 3-4 hours. And, the seats are not bad.
The car turns quickly and is nimble in avoidance manoeuvres. Stopping distances are short with good tires.
That said, the car has only four inches of road clearance and is not meant for off-road travel and can be beached on snow on a badly plowed road with snow mounds blocking driveways.
The automatic transmission needs a few miles under it to warm up to allow it to kick into overdrive on below zero days, but it is a smooth timely auto shifter and drive-train offers great mileage as long as you don't jerk it around with floored accelerations or the stop-and-go I-95 variety.
The car is simple to maintain. Oil and filter changes and other small things are relatively easy.
Recommend, but with alerts for used car buyers to make sure the engine wasn't victimized by lack of major maintenance.
Note: My mileage totals on the vehicle are low because I own/drive three vehicles and baby this car compared to my truck.

Major Chevy Aveo failure
By chevyvictim

2005 Chevrolet Aveo Special Value 4dr Hatchback (1.6L 4cyl 5M)

I bought my Chevy Aveo brand new in late '05, loved, babied and maintained that car very well. 3 days ago the timing belt failed at only 55K miles on the freeway, totally shut the car down including power steering and brakes at 65mph, I'm very lucky I was safe. And now I find out that the engine is basically destroyed because of the belt failure, with repair costs of approximately $2500. And to top it all off I find out Chevrolet knew about this particular problem long ago but did nothing to warn owners or recall, totally negligent. Incredibly corrupt company if you ask me, I and many other Aveo owners are very angry, and I feel a class action lawsuit is necessary
Here's an update, after diagnosing the destroyed engine with a mechanic we discovered that the PLASTIC timing belt tension pulley had cracked, throwing the timing belt in the process, which led to the engine being totally destroyed. I wonder if Chevy realizes that plastic cracks much easier than steel or aluminum??

Mom's little trustie!
By tauscuppy

2005 Chevrolet Aveo LS 4dr Hatchback (1.6L 4cyl 5M)

I love this car! we always have new trucks, or vans.
when gas prices got so high, I went out and bought one of these (after muchresearch on other compacts) Now, this is the family car, it's taken us everywhere, not a single worry, I drive on the feeway ALL the time, and can't believe how smooth it is, I have to chech the sppedometer all the time, cuz I am always speeding, but, it never feels like it.
this car was 8 years old when I bought it, has just over 100.000 on it now.
I will own this car for a long time <3

His and Hers
By ckmolina

2005 Chevrolet Aveo LS 4dr Sedan (1.6L 4cyl 5M)

My husband and I both own the 2005 aveo. His has 11500 miles on it and mine has 11300 miles on it. I drive the hatchback LS and he drives the sedan LT. We have driven from Missouri to California and back with no problems. Both of our daylight running lamps have quit working reliably, both the dashlight indicator and the lights themselves. We haven't gotten them fixed, instead we just turn on the headlights. Just recently we have had a problem with the sedan overheating. We are still trying to fix that one. The hatchback has had no major issues.

We get pretty decent gas mileage, with my daily commute of 112 miles giving me a 31mpg on the highway. She stops quickly, has a TINY turn radius and most repairs and replacement items are pretty well priced (cheaper). Because of the tiny size of the vehicle, I have often been able to park where others cannot- in the spot where the two cars on each side are over MY line, in the space where two parallel parked cars boxed in someone else, in the parking space with the shopping cart in it. I love my tiny blueberry!

The radio and temperature control features are set well below eye level, making it difficult to change things while trying to concentrate on driving, however, since they have large buttons, you can quickly learn to navigate them by feel. Also the seats are not very ergonomic. I am a shorter female and I often have a sore shoulder, a sore lower back and a sore neck from driving. The headrest pushes your head forward, while the bucket back of the set causes you to slump and the seat has a backwards tilt causing your hips to rest lower than your thighs. Also, she drags a bit when you are accelerating from a stop and when going uphill.