Used 2005 Chevrolet Aveo Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2005 Chevrolet Aveo - Consumer Reviews

2005 Chevrolet Aveo

View reviews for a specific Aveo model:

Major Chevy Aveo failure
By chevyvictim

2005 Chevrolet Aveo Special Value 4dr Hatchback (1.6L 4cyl 5M)

I bought my Chevy Aveo brand new in late '05, loved, babied and maintained that car very well. 3 days ago the timing belt failed at only 55K miles on the freeway, totally shut the car down including power steering and brakes at 65mph, I'm very lucky I was safe. And now I find out that the engine is basically destroyed because of the belt failure, with repair costs of approximately $2500. And to top it all off I find out Chevrolet knew about this particular problem long ago but did nothing to warn owners or recall, totally negligent. Incredibly corrupt company if you ask me, I and many other Aveo owners are very angry, and I feel a class action lawsuit is necessary

Suggested Improvements

Chevrolet is required to warn owners when there is a very common and dangerous vehicle part failure, and they've chosen not to do that, that's criminal

Mom's little trustie!
By tauscuppy

2005 Chevrolet Aveo LS 4dr Hatchback (1.6L 4cyl 5M)

I love this car! we always have new trucks, or vans. when gas prices got so high, I went out and bought one of these (after muchresearch on other compacts) Now, this is the family car, it's taken us everywhere, not a single worry, I drive on the feeway ALL the time, and can't believe how smooth it is, I have to chech the sppedometer all the time, cuz I am always speeding, but, it never feels like it. this car was 8 years old when I bought it, has just over 100.000 on it now. I will own this car for a long time <3

His and Hers
By ckmolina

2005 Chevrolet Aveo LS 4dr Sedan (1.6L 4cyl 5M)

My husband and I both own the 2005 aveo. His has 11500 miles on it and mine has 11300 miles on it. I drive the hatchback LS and he drives the sedan LT. We have driven from Missouri to California and back with no problems. Both of our daylight running lamps have quit working reliably, both the dashlight indicator and the lights themselves. We haven't gotten them fixed, instead we just turn on the headlights. Just recently we have had a problem with the sedan overheating. We are still trying to fix that one. The hatchback has had no major issues.

Favorite Features

We get pretty decent gas mileage, with my daily commute of 112 miles giving me a 31mpg on the highway. She stops quickly, has a TINY turn radius and most repairs and replacement items are pretty well priced (cheaper). Because of the tiny size of the vehicle, I have often been able to park where others cannot- in the spot where the two cars on each side are over MY line, in the space where two parallel parked cars boxed in someone else, in the parking space with the shopping cart in it. I love my tiny blueberry!

Suggested Improvements

The radio and temperature control features are set well below eye level, making it difficult to change things while trying to concentrate on driving, however, since they have large buttons, you can quickly learn to navigate them by feel. Also the seats are not very ergonomic. I am a shorter female and I often have a sore shoulder, a sore lower back and a sore neck from driving. The headrest pushes your head forward, while the bucket back of the set causes you to slump and the seat has a backwards tilt causing your hips to rest lower than your thighs. Also, she drags a bit when you are accelerating from a stop and when going uphill.

Cheap, and it worked for a while.
By sssargon

2005 Chevrolet Aveo LS 4dr Sedan (1.6L 4cyl 5M)

I bought a used 2005 Aveo automatic in 2007 w/ about 25k miles on it to replace my Toyota Echo. It runs (and the mpg was nice), but has large blindspots in the front corners, so watch for pedestrians while turning & is lightweight so the wind blows it around on the highway. In 2009, w/ 45k mi, while replacing tires, found out there was a bent inner tie rod, which requires replacing this whole chassis ($700-900); it caused tires to wear out faster in the front and the car to wobble between 50-65 mph. 62k mi & the clock broke. After only 64k mi & regular maintenance, the engine died. Better replace the timing belt before 60k mi. Too bad it wouldn't have been worth it anyway. Disappointing.

Favorite Features

Got me too and from work and on about two small roadtrips a year. Gas mileage was good (average of 27 mpg mixed driving, and on long stretches of highway, I actually got up to 35 mpg). The trunk is fairly sizable - I rarely had problems packing. The small turn radius I was a big fan of. However, everything the Aveo did well, the Toyota Echo did better, and was similarly sized and styled, and it definitely was more reliable than the Aveo.

Suggested Improvements

Definitely should have the inner tie rod be a separate piece like on many cars, especially considering how many Aveos I've heard about bending them. Having it be exclusively attached to the axle made fixing that problem next to impossible at my income (and a car this cheap will probably be found mostly with this income bracket). The interior could have been not so cheaply made, and I definitely think there is a wiring problem with the clock and warning light console. I am immensely disappointed that this car only lived to 64,000 miles.

"You get what you pay for"
By denisenjeff1

2005 Chevrolet Aveo LS 4dr Sedan (1.6L 4cyl 5M)

I bought my 2005 Aveo LS new...very good value, it's always been reliable, have had no repairs to speak of that I have made, just routine maintenance such as oil change, or other wearable items such as tires/brakes. The car was cheap, at the time I believe it was the least expensive car in the market. Well the car is also cheap, no frills bells or whistles came with it other then AC, shortly after owning it, the horn and the clock stopped working, those were the only "extras" that were on it, hey I still have radio, but don't try to turn up the volume, our speaker blew, so two work now. Yep cheap car, cheap price. You get what you pay for. But it has still gotten me from a-b!

Favorite Features

MPG, reliability

Suggested Improvements

Any improvements would mean $$ so keep it low budget.