2003 Chevrolet Avalanche - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Avalanche model:
Best All Around Vehicle
By Mr Wally on 01/28/06 12:48 PM (PST)

2003 Chevrolet Avalanche 1500 4dr Crew Cab Rwd (5.3L 8cyl 4A)

I have the Z66 Package with all the goodies. When I first tried out this vehicle, I was sold. We (wife and I) are snowbirds and travel back and forth from NY to FL very comfortably. Gas mileage could be better but we average about 19.5 on the road and 17 off. I like the convenience of having a pickup body available. I carried some 12' vinyl siding pcs. inside with the tailgate closed! Thanks Chevy

Excellent!
By EDWARDS on 01/19/06 15:29 PM (PST)

2003 Chevrolet Avalanche 1500 4dr Crew Cab 4WD (5.3L 8cyl 4A)

This is the best vehicle I have ever owned. Great comfortable ride, great towing performance, good fuel economy. I use this truck for towing a 28 foot trailer. Only time I needed service (besides regular service) was for the minor recalls by company. I am looking forward on getting the tent accessory for the back for camping. Rides better than my 2005 GM midsize. OnStar very good.

2003 Avalanche
By Rick on 12/13/05 21:23 PM (PST)

2003 Chevrolet Avalanche 1500 4dr Crew Cab Rwd (5.3L 8cyl 4A)

Love the truck. Runs great. An all around great utility vehicle. MPG is poor but what the truck does makes up for it.

Best of both worlds
By wesg33 on 11/22/05 12:01 PM (PST)

2003 Chevrolet Avalanche 1500 4dr Crew Cab 4WD (5.3L 8cyl 4A)

This is the perfect vehicle for someone who needs a truck, but would rather have an SUV. I've had mine for almost three years now and still haven't seen a vehicle that I would rather have. In fact I'm thinking about trading this one in for a new one soon. I sometimes fold the midgate down, take off one panel, and am able to haul 12' metal studs. It's also nice to be able to haul 8' drywall or plywood completely dry. I don't use it for this very often, but it sure is nice in a pinch. I also love having the bed panels, it allows me to haul quite a few tools in the dry.

Happy Owner
By Happy Owner on 11/10/05 10:24 AM (PST)

2003 Chevrolet Avalanche 1500 4dr Crew Cab Rwd (5.3L 8cyl 4A)

My Z66 Avalanche is the best truck I have ever owned, and I have had several over the years. I added a Gibson exhaust, K&N air filter and the computer adjustments. The truck runs awesome. The only problem I have had in 28,000 miles is the steering shaft, since it was replaced, nothing, not even brakes. It tows my trailer with two big bikes in it like nothing is even there. I recently added 20" wheels and I get lots of comments on the "green monster." The truck is comfortable for five adults and the ride is more like a car than a truck, very smooth. I use the fold down feature often, mostly leaving the rear window in place and folding the lower section (for ladders etc.). Excellent!!!

One Awesome Truck
By Anthony F. Dugo Jr. on 10/31/05 21:41 PM (PST)

2003 Chevrolet Avalanche 1500 4dr Crew Cab Rwd (5.3L 8cyl 4A)

I have had my Avalanche(Z-66) for 1 year now. I bought it used & I can tell you this is one awesome Chevy truck. It's bright red & a head turner. I get compliments all the time. It has everything but the kitchen sink in it. .It has a very comfortable ride for a truck . No other competitor can touch this baby! ! Even with the two wheel drive, she glides through the snow like Santa on his sleigh. It's a heavy truck, and tracks through the snow & mud with ease. . Although she likes her fuel, I did not but this vehicle for economy,but since installing a K&N filter and switching to premeium fuel, she runs like a dream. Went from 14.5 to 17.5 mpg. Thanks Chevy for one awesome truck! !

One versatile truck
By R Stephens on 09/18/05 02:49 AM (PDT)

2003 Chevrolet Avalanche 1500 4dr Crew Cab Rwd (5.3L 8cyl 4A)

I ordered My Avalanche while stationed in Japan without ever test driving one. I was not disappointed. We now live in Germany and get lots of attention and questions from the locals. It is definately one of the most comfortable trucks I've ever driven and it has no problems getting up to speed on the Autobahn. My only complaint is the speed limiter switch kicks in at about 100 MPH. Parking in German garages can be a little nerve racking with it's size, but it will fit. Since it is the only 4 wheeled vehicle we have here the ability to carry the family or lots of cargo is very nice. We wouldn't trade it for anything.

2 1/2 yr review
By JC on 07/25/05 16:43 PM (PDT)

2003 Chevrolet Avalanche 1500 4dr Crew Cab 4WD (5.3L 8cyl 4A)

We'll I bought it because of the bed conversion capability. It seemed like a good idea, but in actuality more of a hassle to convert to full bed. The bed panels are a chore to remove and store. If you plan on using the full bed a lot, then get a regular pickup! No issues with the engine, but that's where it ends. In 2.5 years I've been to the dealer for new rotors and pads all around at 5,000 miles, steering shaft replacement, Bose radio replacement, rear window replacement, faded cladding, center mount brake light replacment, regrease steering shaft, failed rear end, and failed transmission. All fortunately covered under warranty except the tranny. I baby the thing. I've never towed or gone off road.

Awesome Avalanche
By fosty on 03/02/05 10:20 AM (PST)

2003 Chevrolet Avalanche 1500 4dr Crew Cab 4WD (5.3L 8cyl 4A)

Plenty of room for the kids and cargo. Super power and what a ride. I love this Avalanche. Good job Chevrolet!

BEST TRUCK/SUV I HAVE OWEND
By JIMBO.SS454 on 11/27/04 21:26 PM (PST)

2003 Chevrolet Avalanche 1500 4dr Crew Cab 4WD (5.3L 8cyl 4A)

I HAVE ALLWAYS BEEN A GM FAN/NUT WHATEVER YOU WOULD LIKE TO CALL ME. I HAVE A 1970 2500 CAMPER SPECIAL FOR THE HARD WORK AND THE AVALANCHE IS MY DAILY WORK HORSE. I LOVE BOTH OF MY TRUCKS.