Used 2003 Chevrolet Avalanche Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2003 Chevrolet Avalanche - Consumer Reviews

2003 Chevrolet Avalanche

View reviews for a specific Avalanche model:

Most Helpful|
Understand WMS limitations
By cag123

2003 Chevrolet Avalanche 1500 4dr Crew Cab 4WD (5.3L 8cyl 4A)

Should have read ALL reviews before buying. Water Management System does not meet my needs for dry cargo space. Tried to salvage vehicle investment with Snugtop/GM XUV cap. X = eXpensive, but would be worth it if it kept water out. It doesn't. Snugtop sales said "Of course it's watertight"; now service says "weather resistant not waterproof"; no other response to dealer request for help. Have owned truck 33 days (25 with rain), 500 miles. Am trading it in tomorrow. Performance item: auto. transmission slow to downshift (book says to floor it!), but may be normal; have had manual transmissions for 35 years.

Favorite Features

Convertibility.

Suggested Improvements

Cover that keeps water out of cargo box. Although I don't really care now.

Lemon, current state of US auto mfg
By The Dude

2003 Chevrolet Avalanche 1500 4dr Crew Cab Rwd (5.3L 8cyl 4A)

My daily driver, inherited at 89k; now 120k. Constant electrical problems. Wheel/steering shimmy. Tailgate cables broke. Electrical: tach and fuel gauge occasionally misread, reduced engine power comes on on cold starts and not as over-heating protection; AC comes on in recirc mode, rear door locks only work manually and they keep blowing unlock relay fuse, difficulty starting-starter may be wearing out. Lumbar support is terrible for drives over an hour, but who can afford to drive that far anyway? Ring and pinion gears needed replacement at 115K. I've read tons of problem blogs regarding electronics. Is this truck a lemon?

Favorite Features

Locking boxes and tailgate. Versatile vehicle and interesting concept. Engine power.

Suggested Improvements

Too large, bulky, rear visibility, mpg. Here's some advice GM:Fix the problems you know you have. General electrical sys, e-brake; build reliable vehicles and you won't have to worry about foreign comp. Dealers can then make money on sales, not constant repairs and your consumers can believe in you.

Down Hill
By jack

2003 Chevrolet Avalanche 1500 4dr Crew Cab Rwd (5.3L 8cyl 4A)

I bought my avalanche in june of 2003 at 2 years old the transmission went out and it doesn't jet out like it used to. Then it leaks water inside because it got hailed on and now its messed up so i think it might have shorted my electrical system because my airbag light came on. Then my passenger window recently went out so.

Favorite Features

sits up high

Suggested Improvements

powertrain

Pure J.U.N.K.
By Chebby

2003 Chevrolet Avalanche 1500 4dr Crew Cab Rwd (5.3L 8cyl 4A)

Sorry I ever saw one of these things. Seemed pretty cool at first but quickly got ugly. Sucks gas like my old Hemi 'Cuda of 1970 vintage. Poor build quality and generally worthless design. Not really a truck and not really an SUV. It gets increasingly uglier every day and the plastic trim everywhere, inside and out, won't stay attached. Will dump it on the used car market soon. Certainly, Dodge and Ford have the edge.

Favorite Features

None.

Suggested Improvements

Drop the model entirely.

Greatest truck ever but !
By DR Fleming

2003 Chevrolet Avalanche 1500 4dr Crew Cab 4WD (5.3L 8cyl 4A)

Acually purchased July5,2001. I love this truck and am fixing to buy another one. Only one major problem. I use truck off road a lot where there are no roads. When I first got I had trouble with the plastic coating on the front bumper. Ever time I touched something or pushed over a small bush or tree the bumper split . Chevolet would not repair or give me a solution to the )I immediately designed a 2-inch tube for a "bush pusher" to be mounted in front of this plastic bumper. It cost me about $5.00 for material, 15 minutes labor and my company epoxy power coated it.

Suggested Improvements

Make a $25.00 "bush pusher" for the front end as an add on and make it "off road".