Used 2003 Chevrolet Avalanche Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2003 Chevrolet Avalanche - Consumer Reviews

2003 Chevrolet Avalanche

View reviews for a specific Avalanche model:

Dream truck
By volnole

2003 Chevrolet Avalanche 1500 4dr Crew Cab Rwd (5.3L 8cyl 4A)

From the minute I first saw an advertisement for an Avalanche, I knew it would be my next vehicle. It has never disappointed me in the four years I've had it. On long trips it is absolutely ideal, with plenty of room for luggage as well as our three dogs. The ride is smooth, leg room is plentiful, and it handles like a luxury car. I would recommend buying an Avalanche to anyone who's ever thought of getting a large SUV.

Favorite Features

Light-sensitive mirrors. Convertibility to a more-than-full- size truck. Lumbar adjustment. Wide view in peripheral vision. Temp gauge on rear-view mirror

Suggested Improvements

Running boards as standard on all trucks

I almost love it
By Jeff Martin

2003 Chevrolet Avalanche 1500 4dr Crew Cab 4WD (5.3L 8cyl 4A)

I have enjoyed this vehicle greatly. My biggest negative was the average in- town gas mileage of 12.5mpg with the 5.3liter engine. Had I known that ahead of time I would have bought the 2500 model with the 8.1 liter which gets almost the same mileage with 50% more horsepower and tons more torque. The body integrity is about what you expect from Chevrolet. When it falls off you can put it back on, if you can find it. I don't know of any other truck in the maketplace I'd rather have so when I buy again I look at the Avalanche first.

Favorite Features

Looks, practicality, and reliablity

Suggested Improvements

Tighter and quieter chasis, improve body integrity.

Best Truck Ever!
By Andrew

2003 Chevrolet Avalanche 1500 4dr Crew Cab 4WD (5.3L 8cyl 4A)

I love my 2003 Avalanche. It is the Northface Package with the cool grey leather and the grey metallic paint. My truck has everything and I bought a superchip and programed it. Also I put some nice tires on the stock rims, looks sweet. Also I chromed all the stock stuff out. For example, the back Chevy letters bought on ebay. MPG is pretty good in city, stays around 14, and highway about 19. The chip seems to help with my MPG.

Favorite Features

Everything

Suggested Improvements

Stock performance

Comales
By COMALES

2003 Chevrolet Avalanche 1500 4dr Crew Cab 4WD (5.3L 8cyl 4A)

I never wanted an Avalanche but when I saw it in the lot, I just had to have it. Ever since, I never regret buying an Avalanche, it's never let me down, on the road and on the beach. Family owns Ford trucks but I'm representing Chevy.

Favorite Features

It's got to be the Z71 Offroad Package. There ain't nothing that can stop that four wheel drive. It's amazing.

Suggested Improvements

None so far.

6 On One, Half a Dozen On The Other
By sbddmd1

2003 Chevrolet Avalanche 2500 4dr Crew Cab Rwd (8.1L 8cyl 4A)

I absolutely love the versatility of the bed and backseats, came in handy many times. Very comfortable ride.

Favorite Features

Cargo bed, bose system and dvd

Suggested Improvements

I put a rebuilt transmission in it with less than 80k miles on it. Power plant not as strong as I expected.