2021 Volvo XC90 Consumer Reviews

$49,000

Save as much as $5,157
Select your model:

Pros
Cons
5 out of 5 stars

Amazing car!

Kim Lopdrup, 01/14/2021
T5 Momentum 4dr SUV (2.0L 4cyl Turbo 8A)

I am blown away with my new Volvo XC90. Even the base model is beautiful and comes with every conceivable safety feature. This model used to have a stiff, jittery ride but they changed the design a couple of years ago and the ride is now as good as Mercedes. Overall comfort is better than Mercedes. Responsiveness is much better than I expected. For what you get, this car is a spectacular value.

Animated sculpture

Theodore Taylor , 12/26/2020
T6 R-Design 4dr SUV AWD (2.0L 4cyl Twincharger 8A)

Beautiful inside and out, fast, extremely comfortable and functional. The Swedes don't follow the juvenile play book of the Germans with exhaust that farts & pops under hard acceleration. No glow in the dark logo on a ridiculously over sized grill or with in dash distracting screens everywhere. Yet Volvo has the on board tech the Japanese haven't managed to integrate in their designs. Flawless build quality. If I sound like I'm sold on the brand you're right. My second Volvo in three years after leasing six Audi. Will never go back.

My first Volvo....

J. Solano, 02/15/2021
T6 Momentum 4dr SUV AWD (2.0L 4cyl Twincharger 8A)

Took delivery of a 2021 T6 AWD momentum on 2/13/21. My current SUV lease ends tomorrow (2017 Infiniti QX60). A 3 row SUV is necessity for me not a want because of my 3 kids. I’ve always been a Honda, Nissan, Infiniti guy. I’ve been bored of the qx60 for the last 15 months. Comparing to what others offer and the capabilities I felt like in another decade. CVT bored me and started to hate it. Infotainment never improved and even on the 2020 model still no Apple car play. I know the 2022 model that launches end of 2021 looks nice and no cvt but I needed to get another SUV lease no later than March 2021. I have been shopping around but due to pandemic and SUV segment being so hot right now dealers where trying to sale SUV’s that were in the production line or on the way to the dealers. Because of supply and demand was left with little room to haggle with dealers as regardless they are selling them. Mind you I have tier 1 credit. Looked at telluride/palisade/2022 MDX/Honda pilot/aviator. All either very limited or high priced lease payment. Many of these required packages in order for me to get what I wanted on my next SUV. Miami is a very tough car market. So those in Miami know this by now. The xc90 was always in the back of my mind. Upon going to Bomnin Volvo Dadeland (I went because of their 5 star google rating) I test drove a t5 and T6. Defiantly wanted the T6. Worked out a good lease. Little out of pocket. Did order one on the spot and took 2 weeks to get to dealer. Originally a white metallic with black interior with base sound system. Upon joining here and reading here how bad that system was I didn’t want to regret it. So I asked my sales guy if I can listen to both (base vs HK) I was immediately sold on the HK. My wife even said said yeah HK it is. The base....”no thanx” So they had a black metallic with black interior with HK on it. Protection package etc. I was able to swap to that one mind you my 2nd color choice was black. We managed to negotiate $17 dollars more per month because of the HK and extra package. Done deal. Let me tell you I love this car. Never thought I would get a Volvo. Love the technology on it. Infotainment. Digital dash. Apple car play. Love the safety standard features. Drives so smooth. In my opinion the engine power is plentiful. The sound system oh the HK sound system is awesome. Being an Nissan Infiniti guy I was always a fan of their Bose systems. QX60 had that with 13 speakers but this sounds better. I love how with Volvo I managed to get AWD/super/turbo charged/20” rims/panoramic sunroof/amazing safety features/Apple car play/ upgraded sound system/better infotainment/great looks. I believe Volvo being a luxury brand I’m getting my money’s worth. Glad my SUV shopping is over. Glad I took this one home.

Ad
Build Your XC90
At a Glance:
  • $49,900starting MSRP

5 out of 5 stars

All the bells and whistles and more!

MP, 11/22/2020
T6 Inscription 4dr SUV AWD w/6 Passenger Seating (2.0L 4cyl Twincharger 8A)

I can’t imagine what more I could have on this car. The drive is solid amd doesn’t feel light. The amenities are superb.

Great Car

The Shah, 01/08/2021
Recharge Plug-In Hybrid T8 Inscription Expression 4dr SUV AWD (2.0L 4cyl Twincharger gas/electric hybrid 8A)

All in all amazing ride, however I still haven’t been able to adjust to the lumbar settings, none of them appear to work for me, and I so wish that Volvo provided power operated middle row seats to make getting in and out of the 3rd row a breeze.

a disappointing purchase

poor value for the money, 03/05/2021
T6 Inscription 4dr SUV AWD w/6 Passenger Seating (2.0L 4cyl Twincharger 8A)

For a claimed luxury car this was a disappointment as it lacks or has faulty features. Many features normally included in even mid level cars are lacking or poorly executed. Examples are poor voice recognition, unable to reprogram or replace valet remote not needed, only manual steering wheel adjustments, car does not light up when approaching & cant be adjusted, although doors unlock, no way to change this, no automatic door locking on exit, must press remote, cant change this, poor or inadequate computer interface and small screen, rear hatch too low even in uppermost position, easy to hit head repeatedly, inadequate storage cubicles, poor interior space utilization of external size. poor gas mileage (now 12.4 MPG) in mixed suburban driving (about 11 mpg, on urban (not city) driving, less in city driving about 11 mpg) missing many settings & controls to personalize vehicle, poor remote phone charging needs finicky close-up adjustments. Otherwise nice ride & comfort, good power & handling just wish it were better thought out for the money for an XC90 Inscription T6. Perhaps the worst disappointment is the very poor gas mileage, when driven softly and in eco mode the best we can get out of it is about 12.4 MPG in suburban driving here in Florida. Took one steady 107 mile 75MPH trip to Ft. Lauderdale with unusually light/normal traffic and all the car could only manage is 19.6 MPG, Don't know about the EPA ratings as they are exceedingly optimistic on this car; perhaps someone at Volvo tested the car up on a lift with no load on the engine. The collision assistance also does not work well as it clangs on non threatening cars going off to the sides and does no begin braking or stop when in real danger, having poorly tested when approaching an obstacle I had to manually brake as I did not wish to collide as the system did nothing!! Lane keeping assist also is worrysome as it does not maintain proper lane discipline activating only when the tires are on the outer lane markings while the drivers view sees the car overdriving the lane marking forcing active avoidance. Not likely to buy one again as they seem stuck 8 years behind everyone else and seem to be oblivious to modern requirements as Honda, Acura, Infinity Hyundai Lincoln and others have. I apologize for the poor review as I expected better having passed on the similar Acura MDX awd and Lincoln Nautilus Black Label and Hyundai Genesis

2 out of 5 stars

Check box engineering at its worst

Jesse Lee, 07/28/2021
T6 Momentum 4dr SUV AWD (2.0L 4cyl Twincharger 8A)

I rented a XC90 T6 for a 10 day family trip recently. Coming from a 2018 BMW 3 series, I was very disappointed in this Volvo. The seat has all the usual adjustments, but none are comfortable because the seat bottom pinches my (32" waist) butt. The hands free trunk does not work well. It takes 3 or 4 kicks every - and I do mean every- time before it opens. You have to move the phone around a lot to find the sweet spot on the wireless charging pad. And of course, with the vibration and shakes in a car ride, the phone would move out of position right away, making the charging pad totally useless. I use wireless charging at home exclusively and never had any problems before this. The climate control has to be accessed through the touch screen. So if you see a cattle yard coming up and want to close the vents, you'd have to press the climate control icon on the screen to get to the climate control screen, and then press the (small) recirc icon. Extremely annoying. The AC is noisy but weak. And you cannot turn off automatic climate control- I prefer old fashioned fixed heating/cooling myself. To zoom the map you would have to use your two fingers like on the phone. Except when the car is moving, it's not all that easy to zoom with your two fingers. There is a reason why BMW, Mazda and others use a scroll wheel for this (and other) purpose- the scroll wheel is totally foolproof while the car is moving. And you cannot pan the map. Even my old 2012 Subaru allowed you to pan the map. They provide charging ports but all of them are USB-C. I get it- this car only caters to the trendy people and not us poors who still use USB charging cords on our outdated Iphone 8's. But at least give people the choice of both ports. The radio only displays the station names but fails to display the song names. It's 2021 for crying out loud. There is apparently no way for you to delete your profile once you've paired your phone to the Bluetooth. And I am not the only one- I see tons of other previous renters whose names are still on the Bluetooth connection list. Maybe there is some secret handshake thing which will delete these profiles but I guess I and lots of other renters just could not figure it out. The trunk has a button which will close and lock the trunk. But this button only works if you have the keyfob on you. Limiting its usefulness. Nor can you 'pre-lock' before all the other doors are closed- it doesn't work until all other doors are closed. The door mirrors fold in when you shut off the car. But there is no manual button to fold in the mirror. The keyfob has buttons on the edge of the fob rectangle, not on the face. I guess they are trying to be cute. Too bad they put buttons on both the left and right edges of the fob, and without seeing it, you cannot tell by feel which side is which. Doh! This is a proper 3 row vehicle, but the middle row seats only recline slightly. So you cannot recline comfortably in the middle row as with other 3 row vehicles. This is what I call 'check box engineering'. The engineers have been given a list of features they need to add to the car which they did, but never actually caring to test them for usability and user-friendliness. So all the features are there on paper, but none of them well thought out or well engineered in practice.

4 out of 5 stars

Good, but not great. Little disappointed.

K. Christner, 02/27/2021
Recharge Plug-In Hybrid T8 Inscription Expression 4dr SUV AWD w/6 Passenger Seating (2.0L 4cyl Twincharger gas/electric hybrid 8A)

I just test drove the XC90 Recharge. Pros: Comfortable, quiet, peppy, mileage, good headroom. Bad: Cell phone wireless charger did not work with my reasonably sized Speck case for my iPhone 12 Pro. [Note: I tested same feature out on Audi's Q8 - no issues.] I didn't like the location of the rearview mirror - mounted forward of the electronic box. There's a large hump in the middle seat of the 2nd row making it useless for anyone to sit there other than a very small child. The large center screen was glitchy - home-looking button didn not work on several screens that it should have according to the sales rep. All in all, I didn't fall in love with it. Will keep looking and maybe the 2022 model addresses these things.

Disappointing

JB, 09/03/2021
Recharge Plug-In Hybrid T8 Inscription 4dr SUV AWD (2.0L 4cyl Twincharger gas/electric hybrid 8A)

Two months in of which one month in the shop for repairs. A faulty "module" that's responsible for switching between electric and fuel. Basically the car arrived with a faulty module, was not tested by the dealer, leased to me and promptly returned by me. It took two more modules to finally get a good one. So far that is. Because after owning 12 Volvos during my life so far, this should have been the crown jewel. Instead I hear myself saying; don't get this one. Me? I was born in a Volvo. Yet, here we go. The car is definitely unreliable. It sputters. And when it works it really does. Should a nearly $80K car give you that feeling?

1 out of 5 stars

Xc90

Reid, 12/28/2020
T5 Momentum 4dr SUV (2.0L 4cyl Turbo 8A)

Love it!

Superb RIDE

Van, 06/30/2021

Has all luxury fetaures plus it is a HYBRID. Gets you the CARPOOL Sticker for 3 years

Love this Car!

CrankinSteve, 09/14/2021

Quality throughout. I really love the quiet ride that is also stiffer than what others typically want. My 2022 XC90 Recharge has 21" wheels and will use 19" wheels with snow tires for the New England winter. I have upgrades providing heated seats from and back and a heated steering wheel. The upgraded Harmon Kardon stereo is wonderful. It looks fantastic in Denim Blue. The blond leather seats are insanely comfortable. Driving around on PURE electric power is enjoyable. I have only had it for a few days, but I am getting about 33 mpg in city/highway combination driving. I have spent quite a bit of time, hours, getting to know all of the features and capabilities and I am not 100% confident that I have the right transportation for me. I even implemented wireless CARPLAY and updated the internal navigation with the latest maps using Volvo's MacBook application and a USB stick. I find that some of the reviews for this car are off a bit as I enjoy aspects that in many cases are listed as CONS. Anyway, I am a very happy owner at this point of a truly luxurious 7 passenger SUV powered by an amazing 400HP powerplant and a perfect 8-speed transmission. My build has the Climate and Advanced packages a very useful integrated booster seat. I also have the 21" 5-spoke wheels and the Harmon Kardon sound and the Protection Package Premier. I added the towing package that has a electrically powered hitch that pivots making it invisible when not in use. You have to see it to believe it. The dealer did the installation and did a perfect job at Volvo of Keene in New Hampshire.

51050