Used 2012 Volkswagen Touareg Consumer Reviews - 24 Car Reviews | Edmunds

2012 Volkswagen Touareg Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Touareg model:

Safe in a crash
By Lori

2012 Volkswagen Touareg VR6 Lux 4dr SUV AWD (3.6L 6cyl 8A)

This is a high quality vehicle. It is luxurious as well as being solidly built. It is fun to drive and very comfortable. I fell in love with this car shortly after I purchased it. I was in an accident yesterday, involving 4 other cars. I received 4 total impacts but walked away requiring only 2 bandaids. The safety features were amazing. The front airbag deployed, then the side curtain airbag. The vehicle automatically shut the engine off, activated the hazard lights, and cracked the windows for my ventilation. I am very thankful for the engineers at VW that designed this car to be so safe. I have owned the car over 4 years with only minor issues that the dealership has always repaired under warranty. I called the dealership to find me another Touareg. I am sold on this vehicle.

Great suv
By samj

2012 Volkswagen Touareg VR6 Lux 4dr SUV AWD (3.6L 6cyl 8A)

Bought mine used 18 months ago with 50K miles and put on about 15K miles since. Absolutely no problems outside regular maintenance and changing brakes (covered under dealer certified warranty). These are great SUVs, just wished the gas mileage was better and depreciation wasn't so high. Otherwise, I would highly recommend it over other trucks like BMW, Lexus or Benz which are all over the streets in Northern NJ suburbs. The VW hold its own fine and is much more rare!

What an SUV should be
By Daryl

2012 Volkswagen Touareg VR6 Sport 4dr SUV AWD w/Navigation (3.6L 6cyl 8A)

I purchase a used 2012 with exactly 61K miles. I have put 28K miles in 13 months without any problems other than scheduled maintenance we love this vehicle as well as anyone who has graced it's seats I'm 6'5 and can ride in the back seat in comfortcan't say enough good things about this VW sure hope things continue to go as well

Stay far far away
By MikeB

2012 Volkswagen Touareg Hybrid 4dr SUV AWD (3.0L 6cyl S/C gas/electric hybrid 8A)

Bought my spotless and gorgeous 2013 Touareg Hybrid in Jan. In the 8 months since it has NEVER been in a normal state for more than 24hrs. It is at a dealer 130 miles away as they attempt to fix it for the NINTH time without success. Each time it's at the dealer for 2-6 weeks. Each time they 'fix" it it pukes again (engine lights on, motor misfiring on multiple cycl, shakes badly , no power) either on the WAY HOME, or the next day. 8 times........................... It's never lasted even the entire next day. They do not know how to fix these cars. Simple as that.
Edit: Car was over filled with oil by a quart and that caused failures of emission equipment. no problems in 12,000 miles since oil level fixed. NO DIPSTICK!!

Vroom Vroom
By Cass Taylor

2012 Volkswagen Touareg VR6 Sport 4dr SUV AWD (3.6L 6cyl 8A)

I've had my SUV 1 month and I've already added about 1000 miles because it's fun to drive plus I commute 100 miles a day 2 days a week. It took awhile to find one with fairly low miles that was less that $20k. I like sitting high after coming out of a mini. I haven't had the car serviced yet. The ride is smooth and it takes off. I don't like that the setting for the seats change every time I get out of the car or that it doesn't have parking sensors/backup camera on a 2012. My 2008 mini has parking sensors. Considering the original cost of this SUV it should be standard even in the lowest level model. I've checked around to have sensor or the camera installed and VW doesn't offer a replacement at the dealership and I don't want to retrofit something else. I'm glad I bought the SUV so far. Still getting use to the features. The manual isn't helpful since it covers all models. I read the reviews before I settled on this car and they were helpful.