Used 2016 Volkswagen Golf R Consumer Reviews - 17 Car Reviews | Edmunds

2016 Volkswagen Golf R Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Golf R model:

Vroom: my VW Type R sizzles
By Patrick

2016 Volkswagen Golf R 4dr Hatchback AWD (2.0L 4cyl Turbo 6AM)

Exceptional fit & finish, DCC (6 speed auto) & VW 4 Motion (AWD) are sweet, 0-60 Times stock will rock your socks. Fender sound system fantastic. Drivers assistance package includes the latest tech advances: great! My only lament is it’s got a rough ride with factory rims and tires

Screamin' T
By B. Thurman

2016 Volkswagen Golf R 4dr Hatchback AWD (2.0L 4cyl Turbo 6M)

This car is a blast to drive and the best part about any VW turbo is they are extremely tunable. Out of the crate this car will surprise not only you but other drivers with how quick, and yet practical the R is. I put 19.5 wheels (VMR) on it with stock suspension and the stance and drive is great. Plus I went with a stage 1 APR tune with a CAI and if you think the R is fast off the showroom floor...when tuned it's how I envision. The VW engineers would do their own ride if the ban counters let them. Point being this is a quality ride, all around with great performance, with the option to be a true beast.

After my Corvettes
By Mark

2016 Volkswagen Golf R w/Dynamic Chassis Control and Navigation 4dr Hatchback AWD (2.0L 4cyl Turbo 6AM)

I have owned my 2016 Golf R for almost a year. Prior to this, I owned two base-model Corvettes, also purchased new. In instrumented magazine road tests, the Corvettes were less than a second apart in 0-60 and quarter mile acceleration times. The Golf R splits the difference -- a little quicker than my 1998 C5 and a little slower than my 2006 C6, acceleration-wise. But the difference is so negligible that the seat-of-the-pants feel is the same. Handling, for all practical purposes, feels about the same too. Impressive braking. No bombastic roar and not the head-turner that the Vettes were. But I'm getting a lot of attention from the younger crowd (I'm 67) who know exactly what the R is. So I'm enjoying driving a sleeper again. My first sleeper since my 1973 Mazda RX2, a rotary engine screamer in mundane coupe form that was a blast to drive as most cars were deteriorating, performance-wise, at the time. I'm also very happy with the quality of the interior, although I do wish it came in a color other than black. Tons 'o fun!!

26000 Miles and Going
By Buffalo Tom

Had the 2016 Golf R for 13 months now. Overall I don't find myself left wanting for anything. Wish the German version of a Nav system worked faster, it shows your at a intersection well after you've passed it (at any speed). Also when seeking back roads hoping for a challenge/new sights by selecting shortest distance it always sticks to more major roadways - boring! Inputting addresses to search has more effective results if done one way v.s. another (starting w/ street v.s. town). I did catch it being down a couple qts. of oil in one oil change, others were ok, maybe garage didn't top it off, not sure. Stock tires were shot in 10 K miles, but they had v good grip. Not trilled with 35 sidewalls especially w/ soft tires, any edges on the roadway over 1.5 inches over 35 mph and you're flirting w/ bent rims. I think the 235 45 tire size would be better overall. Clutch seems strong in the car, hasn't showed signs of weakness (unlike my previous 2005 Mitsu Evo). The ride selections are very nice and effective although I usually leave mine in race mode but the wife sometimes complains which is easily resolved. Interior design is plush, but they shouldn't disable the center console lid/compartment - plain BS. I'd like to see it more aggressive with proportioning more drive to the rear tires when it's needed, having driver control over that like the ride selection would be a blast. I had a 2005 Mitsu Evo and put 175000 mls on that car. Between the 2 I'd choose the Golf R, biggest reasons are: interior comfort/fit and finish, seats, cruise control, radio, less road noise. Of course this isn't fair as my Evo was a 2005. I think the Golf R is a little faster but that my be the gear boxes. I do miss the engine sound feedback the Evo provided, the Golf R isn't as good which compromises your driving abilities.

Update 5/2/2017:
+36000 mls and going. I don't park the car in the garage. I've noticed on occasion that the clutch will slip at first use until things warm up. Could be moisture or temp related seemed to act up when v cold or wet out. Runs low on oil at end of 10 k oil changes 1-2 qrts, isn't leaking, probably just normal burn off. Engine noise just isn't loud enough for driver feedback, it's v easy to hit the rev limiter especially in 1st gr. Gas mileage runs 26 when ran hard, 32 in ideal conditions. Brakes on the car are holding up really really well. The car's driver interface (radio, nav, etc.) freaks out on occasion at 1st start, sometime it'll recover, other times I need to restart the motor to get it to come around, it locks up or ignores driver input for several minutes happened 4-5 times so far.

Seven months in...and very pleased.
By Scott K

2016 Volkswagen Golf R 4dr Hatchback AWD (2.0L 4cyl Turbo 6M)

Two cars were in my final list; the R and a Focus RS. Here in Canada (Nova Scotia...had to use a Maine zip code to submit my review), the RS is $8k (!) more than the R. So the R was the obvious selection...and I am not disappointed. Definitely understated WRT its exterior...and I'm fine with that. Folks who know cars come up an ask me about routinely. It is very quick...especially when moving from 2nd, 3rd thru 4th. Brakes are outstanding. Got a chance to enjoy the 4Motion in the snow the day it arrived (March 2016) and through out the remainder of the winter...also excellent on dry pavement when you are working the corners hard. Interior is consistent with VW/Audi...logical and good quality. Lots of soft surfaces. The exhaust tone is a bit pedestrian, but not a big issue for me. One item of ongoing irritation - Android Auto. Quite unreliable - only connects to my phone after multiple efforts. Once it does, it's great (Spotify, Google Maps) but it should be seamless. Summary, for someone living in Canada, there aren't may vehicles that can touch the R's performance/$ ratio.