Used 1992 Subaru SVX Consumer Reviews - 22 Car Reviews | Edmunds

1992 Subaru SVX Consumer Reviews

LS 3.3L 6-cyl. AWD 4-speed Automatic - (22 reviews )

Check the Tranny
By SVX Guy

1992 Subaru SVX LS 2dr Coupe AWD

I bought the car in 2012 from 1st owner who maintained it very well, had only 20,000 miles on it, and now it has 41,000 miles. I have loved the design, the power, the handling, etc. The tranny is the weak point, which I knew from SVX forums, so I immediately put on a tranny filter and cooler, and have used synthetic fluid, and have had no problems with it at all. By 1994-95 Subaru had fixed the problem. If you are thinking to buy a 1992-93, check for the filter, have tranny checked by trusted mechanic. I love the car.

Unique and wickedly quick
By Alan

1992 Subaru SVX LS 2dr Coupe AWD

Despite abundant glass sight lines are challenging. Care and attention is required to drive the car safely.

Fell in love at first sight
By ron193

1992 Subaru SVX LS 2dr Coupe AWD

Take off feels like an American luxury V8, except it's awd so no tires slip.
You'll get complements
"what kind of car is that" question. I love the asymmetric mag wheels (L/R are different) which adds to uniqueness. It's a heavy and wide car, slalom like bends gets the car leaning like a boat, but it still grips. Great city driver if you don't mind the 6cyl mileage, great hwy cruiser. Braking is mediocre for car of this weight and pwr. Only problems were creaky dashboard (known to Subaru) and weak Tranny, which died after I traded it in. I'd taken it on fishing trip & even minor offroad (by accident) stoped when tranny temp light turned on. I'd buy this car again if possible.

This car had a spaceage design that I loved. 0-60km (km not miles) acceleration would leave pretty much any car except porsches/drag cars in the rearview mirror. Past 60km/hr however even civics would catch up.

stronger Auto Tranny, manual tranny option.

'92 Subaru SVX LS 'Touring'
By Roy Corley

1992 Subaru SVX LS 2dr Coupe AWD

I 'inherited' the car in March of 2009 from my sister-in-law who bought it new in Tucson. The car had 86K miles and the transmission had been rebuilt around 75K. The car had led a very sheltered life and was in exceptional condition for its age. Within a week, it received a complement at a stoplight from a Ferrari driver. I drove the car on a 3700 mile loop through Texas and New Mexico in July. It never missed a beat and averaged 28 mpg for the trip. It's an absolute blast to drive through mountain twisties. The car has never let me down, but finding a quality mechanic is of utmost importance. Fortunately, I found one here in Scottsdale that loves the car and is honest as the day is long.

Due to the styling, it's often mistaken for a 90-96 Nissan 300Z. The 'over engineering' is amazing and I liken it to a Japanese Mercedes when it comes to build quality. The 'window within a window' is a great feature and the AWD gives you a sense of security on wet surfaces.

Too late now, but I wish the car had about 300 hp and an automatic transmission that would stand up to it, now that I can no longer drive a manual gearbox due to a spinal cord injury.

'92 Subaru SVX AWD
By PhoenixSVX

1992 Subaru SVX LS 2dr Coupe AWD

I 'inherited' this car with 86K miles on it from a family member who had purchased it new and treated it very kindly. The transmission [the weak link in the chain] had been rebuilt at 73K miles. I immediately installed the largest external transmission cooler that could fit. The vehicle consistently gets 19-20 mpg in town and I've seen 30 mpg on the highway and is very comfortable. I found a local mechanic that loves the cars and, other than for routine maintenance, the car is never in the shop and has never let me down. It's an absolute blast to drive through curving mountain roads. It's neat to pull up to a stoplight and not see three other ones there with you like some other makes.

It's like sitting in a 'greenhouse.' There are no blind spots from any of the roof pillars. The AWD is great on wet roads. This vehicle was over engineered, and that's a good thing for the owner. From what I've read, if you maintain the motor properly, it'll run for a VERY long time.

Since the car is 18 years old now. there's no need crying over spilt milk; but I wish they'd designed a transmission specifically for the SVX instead of pulling one off the parts shelf.