Used 2007 Subaru Impreza Consumer Reviews

List Price Range

Used Impreza for Sale
Select your model:

Pros
Cons

90,000 mile update - Tranny Problem

Fandango, 04/10/2010

At about 75,000 miles, I began to notice a whine/rattle in the manual transmission and, when it kept getting louder, took it in to the dealer a few thousand miles later. It turned out to be a pitted output shaft bearing. The repair cost about $1200 but was fortunately covered by the extended warranty, which, with a road hazard tire replacement earlier, has now paid off about what I paid for it. So far, the transmission bearing has been the only mechanical problem. After 90,000 miles, I still love to drive this car. It's just fun. It still reminds me of a British sports car in its simplicity. Now consistently getting 28-30 mpg highway mileage.

Solid, sensible fun

Ellen, 10/22/2006

I've owned it for all of 72 hours but it's my favorite Subaru ever (this is our third). It's nimble and surefooted in traffic, with impressive acceleration (I traded in a '98 Acura Integra so I know from fast). The interior, with its two-tone color scheme and silvery center dash panel, is much nicer than the dowdy plastic dullness of earlier Imprezas. The audio system that comes with the Special Edition Package is fabulous--though the satellite ratio sampler features a limited, boring selection. If you love the maneuverability of a small car but hate that vulnerable feeling you get from driving a teensy, tinny compact, put this on your short list.

A step up

bschuetz, 12/14/2006

The 2007 Subaru Impreza is definitely an improvement over the 2001 Subaru Impreza I traded. Less body roll, more responsive steering, nicer interior. The transmission feels a bit more refined, and it actually has a synchro for first gear (2001 didn't). The clutch is more forgiving than the 2001, I can shift smoother. The engine sounds and feels more refined as well. And this thing is a blast to drive. Once you're on boost, this thing really goes. I have no regrets with my decision.

190,000 Mile Update

fandango, 10/04/2013

I've had this car since new -- almost 7 years now. Repairs included replacement of a bad transmission bearing (covered by extended warranty) and a leaking head gasket. Otherwise it has needed only routine things like a battery, brake pads and struts (at 150,000 miles). It burns some oil. For quite some time, I have had to add a quart between oil changes. Otherwise it still handles very well and looks good, inside and out, despite frequent trips on dirt roads, including some pretty rough and steep 4WD roads. I still really enjoy driving this car, especially when the roads are twisty, and am glad I bought it.

Great car for the money!

Martin, 09/20/2006

I bought a TR in June and have 4000 miles so far. This car is great! I installed STP cat back, K&N Intake, HKS up pipe and intercooler. I purchased this car for $21,700 with rear spoiler and there was nothing even comparable to WRX on the market for this kind a money with this kind a performance. I love it, I really do. Handling is amazing. Best choice in its class.

Sturdy Build and a Fun to drive

Scubado, 02/01/2010

No issues whatsoever since purchase. Ride or Slide this car and it is always ready for more.The AWD does it job and it is especially evident after driving other FWD cars in its class. The real kick comes beyond 3500 rpm when the boxer starts to scream. The mechanical build more than makes up for the bare minimum interior. Getting an avg 22-24mpg 50%city 50% hwy.

A great little car!

hepsuba, 05/01/2013

This is my 7th Subaru. My oldest was a 1978 and my newest was a 2009, from little 4WD wagons to Outbacks. This is my second Impreza (previous one was a '98). I have to say, of all the Subarus I've owned, this one may be my favorite. I love it's simplicity and its great handling, power, and design. It's what I call very "point and shoot" -the car goes where you want it to when you want it to. Visibility and responsiveness are wonderful. The cabin is simple yet has everything you need. And as others have commented, it's the last of the truly good looking Impreza's. The small size is great - park it wherever you want, squeeze into traffic, no problem. A great little car.

It Imprezzed Me

alexander323, 12/12/2010

I just bought a used version of the vehicle with only 12,000 miles on it. I really like its fuel efficiency and AWD capability. This car has better gas mileage than my old Jeep Grand Cherokee and has a reputation of being more reliable. The Impreza can do most everything my Jeep can do just in a more compact lighter size.

Most Fun for the Money

Fandango, 01/27/2007

This car reminds me of an English sports car in the sense that it's a driver's car first. Performance and handling are near perfect, while creature comforts and amenities are less so. But that's OK. I'll trade overhead caddies, fancy cupholders, extra auxiliary power outlets, MP3 hookups, a premium sound system and even a little seat comfort for a thrill ride through canyon twisties any day, and that's what this little car delivers in spades, holding the road like a cat. It's about the most fun you can get in a new sport sedan for about $18,000. And yes, the 2.5 liter non-turbo engine produces plenty of smooth power and great torque for spirited driving in the old sports car tradition.

Still Fun, After All These Miles

Fandango, 10/28/2007

This is a 20,000-mile update after driving the car daily for nine months. No mechanical problems to report. It's still the most fun for the money. I like the simple, traditional interior design and layout. A word to those on a budget. This car comes with highly rated, very expensive tires, and if you damage one, you may have to replace the whole set to avoid damaging the AWD.

Has serious mechanical problems

phil_motor, 10/02/2013

In my experience (I've owned 20+ vehicles in 38 years) this Subaru has serious engine problems that the dealers and Subaru of America do not acknowledge. Expect to have your head gaskets replace (~$2000) on your own dime once the 60,000 mile warranty expires.

Almost perfect

Stiltd, 01/01/2007

This is almost the perfect performance car. Its handling, acceleration and braking are 80% of a supercar, but for 30% of the price. It gets all the right kind of attention (people complimenting its good looks) & none of the wrong kind. Engine has good power, transmission ratios are perfect, & AWD is awesome. Seats feel great, interior is very mature, all controls are easy to reach & the climate control system works perfectly. This is my first non-US made car, and while there are few things I miss, I can see why Detroit is in big trouble. I think it's one of the best looking cars of all time. BTW, gas mileage is BETTER than rated! (Insurance is higher than expected).

Not quite a 944 Turbo, but that's alright with me

khalils, 06/19/2011

My 2007 WRX Wagon replaced a 1989 Porsche 944 Turbo. I wanted a car that was a well-rounded and sporty daily driver but with all season reliability, better utility, and lower maintenance costs. The WRX does not have the handling prowess, balance, and speed of the Porsche. In spite of too much weight forward, it a taut handling car and fun to drive in the twisties. Its good in snow, gets decent gas mileage, and has yet to have any mechanical problems whatsoever after 31k miles. I am extremely satisfied with the car. I dumped the RE-92s that came stock on the car and mounted some decent rubber, the Michelin Pilot Sport A/S. That made a big, positive difference.

The car I always wanted!

Guario, 01/03/2007

I have been saving for this same model for quite a while and finally got it. I got the TR with the Urban Gray color. It is a blast to drive, all the power I need. The interior is very well designed and works well. The only minor quibble is that the stock speakers are rather weak. I replaced the factory stereo and they sound better but if you like music you should definitely replace the factory speakers with better quality ones and perhaps add a sub for the lows. Overall this car has been everything I'd hoped it would be and more. The best purchase I have ever made and I only paid $22,300 with just 81 miles on it.

THE GREATEST CAR EVAR!

djxphact0r, 01/02/2007

In my honest opinion I think this car tops all cars right now on the market, it's sleek, it's fast, it's great looking too. Doesn't make you feel like an old fogey driving a family car. This car can be either one to race, or one for a family, I use mine for family, and my family loves it!

165,000 mile update

fandango, 12/01/2012

At 150,000 a head gasket was leaking. This repair cost about $2,500, which included grinding the valves while the heads were off and replacing the water pump and timing belt. Unfortunately, this is a fairly common repair for Subarus. The car is still fun to drive. It has a great power/weight ratio. I still think of this as my "new car," and it looks and feels new despite some hard use. The car is rugged built to last.

Go Fast Stealth Mode

springsubie, 12/11/2006

This is what the WRX STI should be. Awesome performance without attracting unwanted attention. Mine is Urban Grey, #371/800, and it blends in with other cars. The acceleration is terrific once the turbo gets to full boost at 4,000 RPMs. And the handling is equally inspiring causing you to challenge every corner. The downside is incredibly high insurance cost even if you are 40+ with a clean driving record.

A Good Car

Frank, 01/02/2008

I have owned the WRX for over six months now and I enjoy driving it but off the show room floor it does not perform as well as I had hoped. Fortunately there are solutions to some of the performance problems. Better tires made a big difference in handling and ride quality. 22 mpg is okay but 28 or better would help the wallet a bit. The quality of the interior materials is sufficent. I have not had any problems there.

Great Performance, Not a Commuter Car

Amanda, 02/21/2007

Has a comfortable ride, with great power in acceleration (highway especially). It's got guts to it, made for speed, so lead foots beware. Braking takes getting used to, because of AWD. As noted by many magazines, gas mileage is poor (my average is 23 MPG). Interior is simplified nothing fancy. Of all the cars I test drove in this class, for me these race inspired seats are the most comfortable (I'm 5'9). The stock CD/sound system is good and easy to use, also arrangement of speakers are well done. Can't forget handling, the car turns corners amazingly. Steering is nimble.

Good Car with a few flaws

sub1, 03/29/2007

I have had this car for 5 months now and it's a nice little car. The horsepower is plenty for normal use and the AWD will take us anywhere in a blizzard. The downside is the mileage, I have averaged around 23 and got 26 on a long highway trip. I thought the size of the car was great (I'm 5'8" 160) until I drove one of my larger friends (6'4" 220?) on a road trip. The back seat is too small for adults on long trips, but what do you expect in a compact wagon? Some other flaws I notice are the wipers don't go fast enough for Seattle rain and the bass goes away when you use the stereo aux jack. The satellite radio sampler only gave us like 15 stations, not a great sales pitch for Sirius.

A Good Buy!

TomQ, 05/09/2008

I was looking for a fun car that is unique and practical. The WRX Wagon is fun, unique, and practical for sure. The power is enough for the street and having fun at a track. The all wheel drive can make a bad driver look good :o) (i appreciate that) It is reliable and robust. Designed from rally roots, it's a beast on dirt roads too. Being a sports car, Subaru did not add sound dampening, which means if you are on a tar and gravel road, you will hear it, but this reduction in weight is a plus overall.

Awsome car

jdvozz72, 02/02/2012

Love the car!

2007 Subaru Impreza Outback Sport 2.5 Manual

jdktchkov@gmail.com, 02/10/2017
Outback Sport 4dr Wagon AWD (2.5L 4cyl 5M)

I owned a 2007 Subaru Outback Sport 2.5L with a 5-speed manual for one year. I purchased the car with 118,000 miles and ended my time with the vehicle with 148,000 miles. My overall experience was a disappointment. The driving experience was never truly enjoyable, I have a strong dislike for the weirdly laid out transmission. The car was mostly used for city freeway and traffic commute, which I understand isn't its ideal environment. The transmission with its overly aggressive 1st and 2nd gear, nicely laid out 3rd and 4th gear and almost anemic 5th gear made commuting miserable. Interior quality was fine and I appreciated having an AUX port. My biggest issue was maintenance. I understand that I put a lot of miles in a short period of time, but I was very attentive to regular care and up keep. The car always burned a lot of oil, even when it was taken in early for an oil change, the shops would say it was bone dry. I had major issues with a "fork" connected to the flywheel which set me back about $2000 dollars, in addition to a blown catalytic converter. All of this occurred after having the car inspected prior to purchasing. Lastly, one of the most annoying features was, if the check engine light popped up, the car disabled the cruse control.

A better SAAB...?

Doug, 10/04/2009

3rd Impreza, 5th Subaru. A sports sedan with SUBSTANCE. Subaru AWD has pulled us through winter whiteouts (even with the performance Bridgestone RE-92 tires) when 4wd pickups and SUVs were all over the place. Solid construction--some of that vault-like feel of the Europeans, without the disappointments. Love the Alfa-esque styling; my "hog-nose" the last of the good-looking Imprezas before Subaru began taking their styling cues from the Koreans. More than adequate power & handling for my needs from base 2.5i. Instrument layout, gauge lighting superb. Quirky enough to start a cult-following, yet reliable to keep those of us on a budget coming back for more. A better SAAB? Just MAYBE...

I love my Subie

Andy, 12/13/2006

I just sold my 99 Mustang GT and got an 07 Impreza. Great car. Plenty of pep considering it uses the same engine as the Impreza RS's used from 1999-2005 and it has pretty much the same 0-60 time as the Civic SI for less. The AWD is a blessing in adverse weather. This is my second Subaru and definitely won't be my last. I'll have to step up to a WRX next time though. I highly suggest adding the foglights and spoiler to the vehicle. They really complete the rally like look these cars are bred for.

Hate my Impreza!!

Mehmet, 01/24/2009

I bought this 2007 Subaru Impreza in summer. I did not have any problems back then. However, as the winter came, I started to have problems with my car. It was getting more difficult to get the engine started. The Subaru service is very kind in Turkey. They even traveled many miles to get my home and tried to fix my car two times in front of my home. (They also tried two times at their service department with the same result.) But the car is the same if it is not getting worse. This is my second winter with this car and the words are not enough to describe my experiences. I have to get up at 12:30 am and drive this car about 15 minutes so that it works in the winter mornings easier.

MPG is better than listed - Fun drive!

Lauren, 09/10/2009

Six months and 14,000 miles into ownership, and I get happier each time I drive it. I use the Sub mainly to commute 3 hours each way into D.C. over the mountains and down the hills. Why the Suba-Rules: - The bucket seats are comfortable, great for long drives; - Very responsive steering; nimble; - Very responsive acceleration and most importantly, - I avg 27-29 MPG. The worst I got with plenty of city driving was 24 MPG. On trips where the speed limit was 55, I broke 30 MPG. Initially, the listed 22 MPG on this site and the 22-27 MPG on the manufacturer's site made the decision to purchase a bit of a drawback but AWD was important. Turns out, I got a nice mix of fun and function.

Simple Yet Satisfying

Rodeoflipper1818, 07/09/2008

I love this car very much. It's effortless to drive and it's a champ through any weather or road conditions. I never have any second thought of taking it off the pavement to have a little fun. The whole package is great too. You get performance with serious versatility. More than a few times I've had to throw a ton of cargo in the back (over 30 large soccer bags or two bmx bicycles) and to my surprise there was still room to spare. Though it is not quite as inspiring as its more powerful brethren nor as fast, you will still feel just as confident. If you're looking for a car that's not too overwhelming but will still give you a thrill this will certainly do the trick

Last of the cool body styles

chris, 11/06/2008

I have had an 02, 05, and an 05 STI, and the 07 is the best. STI ride is punishing, this provides a good balance. good daily driver, with the new 2.5L engine, VVT, and lower RPM torque and HP, feels faster than previous years, and don't have to wind up the motor for the power at low ends. mpg- with a stick, you can coast, i average 24-25 mpg combined.

Good Little Car So Far!

First Sub, 04/21/2009

After about 25000 miles over a year and a half, I have been very pleased with the Outback sport. It's pretty fun to drive, decent power, decent fuel economy, and enough space for my stuff. I have a bit of a lead foot, and this does have enough power to get me in trouble, but not enough to were I will loose my license. I just paid it off, so I now intend to drive it into the ground, hopefully another 7-10 years.

70,000 mile update

Fandango, 08/28/2009

I've put more than 70,000 miles on this car, and I still love getting into it and snicking through the gears, zipping through the twisties and feeling the power as I explore the upper range of the RPMs. I've had no mechanical problems whatsoever, and, believe it or not, I'm only now getting ready to replace the original set of Bridgestone tires. The car consistently gets 29-32 mpg. With its simple, almost primitive features and great handling, it reminds me of an old British sports car. It was made for people who love to drive.

Crashed with no scratches!

Mo, 06/09/2010

This car was great maintenance and reliability wise, I live in a mountainous region with ice, snow, and potholes. Then we crashed it going 50 mph into a stopped vehicle with no scratches on our bodies. The car was totaled. Definitely buying another Subaru!

Fun little car but nothing exceptional

SugarBear, 02/26/2008

I love to drive this car! It's so much fun! BUT, the back seats do not fold down which kills me and the interior is pretty standard. No really extra features. I think if I were to do it over, I would get the Legacy instead b/c of the sunroom, and the more comfortable and luxorious interior or go with the WRX version. I have never had any problems with the car and the Subaru dealerships have always been great at doing maintainence and answering any questions that I have. The gas mileage is all right... I get around 28 mpg depending.

GTI, Mazdaspeed3 - no comparison

Car Aficionado, 02/06/2007

The WRX is a phenomenal car. Not only because of its price tag but also because of its performance, reliability, and its rally breed uniqueness. This is the car that forged the way for the likes of the other AWD performance cars - i.e., the Mazdaspeed6, Audi A3, R32 etc... however it's quite a bit cheaper. It still baffles me why the R32 is compared performance wise to the STI - its acceleration is not better than the stock WRX. The GTI is not in the same league. The Mazda3speed is a great car. If you're not interested in AWD it's a great choice. I do like the front 2004 & 2005 front fascia better than the 2006 & 2007. The stock 17" rims should have been offered from the very beginning.

Fun little car

no name, 03/21/2007

Overall I have been very satisfied with this car. It handles great, the AWD grips the road very well, decent amount of power, and fun to drive. But of course this isn't a luxury car. The interior seems to be well assembled with no rattling and it looks cheap but it does have nice supportive seats and a sporty look. I get 22 miles per gallon in the city even though I push it a lot. Decent for an all wheel drive car.

Very good car!

Rally Racer, 08/20/2007

Very good car, More horsepower than any other $18k car. The AWD makes it awesome to drive. If you are more into luxuries rather than fun and performance, this is not your car.

"Tough Enough for Alaska"

billandti, 08/30/2007

Tight, nimble, reliable and smooth little car. The wagon's appeal is the just-sporty-enough looks, cargo and comfort capabilities. I love the AWD since I live in Alaska's interior and need a reliable car to get me up hills and through our roads safely. I also chose the manual transmission for fun and fuel economy. The standard 2.5 engine is sweet and quiet but don't expect a power pull from this engine. With over 11K miles on my car since I bought it new, I climbed from 21 mpg new and now average 24 in the city. I've had 30 mpg on the highway if I keep it at 60 mph. 70-80 mph (summer driving) and I still get 27-28 mpg.

Not as reliable as you think

Gene, 05/19/2007

I've been an owner of the 07 limited for almost 2 weeks and it's been in the shop more than in my driveway. There are several issues with the 07 sti models that people need to be aware of. Huge throttle response issues and some hesitation issues during acceleration. When I purchased this vehicle it was a rocket but after 3 days of fun it went into the shop for a check engine light. The dealer fixed the issue and now there's another problem. HORRIBLE throttle response! You will have problems with this car.

I love my little Suzie

esergent, 09/24/2007

I wanted a fun and reliable car to fit in a very broke college student's budget and got it in this car. Love the dealership and love the car even more. Wish I could have afforded the insurance for the WRX STi, but oh well. The 2.5i is tons of fun too. =)

B-E-A-utiful!

DynaSTi, 07/17/2007

I absolutely Love the Car. Had a little hesitation until I did a Cobb tuning Stage 2 with a protune. Now The car is Super quick, Reliable, fun to drive, and Sexy. I will never own another kind of car. They are great for summer and the winter handling is Top notch!

Outback Sport Disappoints

Suzanne, 10/26/2007

I got the space that I wanted in a small wagon. However, I am very disappointed with the ride and the noise level. This car rides and sounds like my mother's rattletrap station wagon that she had when I was a kid. The ride is harsh, feeling every tiny bump in the road, and everything in the back rattles. The paint chips at the least little touch, and the 'pinstripe' on the passenger side is peeling off. This car, with only 4,500 miles on it is the worst car mistake I've ever made! It had 3,500 miles on it when purchased in Sept '07, so I've only put 1,000 miles on it. It could also use more storage space in the front. I don't see myself keeping much longer than a year or so.

A real Subaru

Dave, 11/08/2007

Nice car, no problems so far (7k miles/8 months). Fun to drive, more than adequate power from the 2.5 non-turbo, 5 speed manual has a nice feel. Competent for light off road use, get the skid plates. Fuel economy has been about 24 MPG, which isn't great, but it is acceptable.

First Subbie Ever

Brandon, 11/05/2007

This car is fast, tight, solid and very nimble responds well and has plenty of room for a weekend get away. I needed a car to throw all my surfing gear into and this car is perfect for it. Body roll is almost non-existent, transmission feels smooth and crisp, throws are short. Engine sounds mean and agressive. Has a couple features usually found in BMWs and Mercedes. Cruising at 80 mph you still get great MPG, about 26-28 mpg. AWD works well, not too much understeer. Lots of power especially when you get around 3k RPM. Brakes are strong and work very well. Ride is smooth, a bit noisy but still comfortable. Stereo works well. This car is a blast to drive and I have no regrets.

Best car ever

Jamie G, 04/11/2008

I have had a 2007 WRX wagon, and the STi was always a dream car of mine. When I heard about and saw the 2008 I decided I better get a 2007 STi before they changed (for the worse). If you know your STi than you know about what you are paying for, a rally inspired street monster. Not a lush, soft riding, overly optioned out, normal looking car.

Love this car!

jomr, 08/23/2011

After one too many expensive problems with my Volkswagen VR6 I decided to trade it in for a Subaru. My first car was an '87 Subaru wagon. She wasn't much too look at and completely gutless but she was reliable. I found a used 2007 Subaru Impreza 2.5i sedan and took the car to my mechanic for a thorough check up. All it needed was an air filter and new battery. Although it doesn't have the V6 5-speed of my old VW it has more power than I expected from a 4 cylinder. I love the growl of the boxer engine and it handles great. This car has turned out to be just as fun to drive and far more reliable. I can't imagine owning another VW or ever not owning a Subaru again!

36,000 Mile Update

Fandango, 05/27/2008

This car keeps growing on me. After driving it every day for the past year and a half, I like it as much or more than the day I bought it. It's just so much fun to drive. Every time I drive a rental or use my daughter's car and then come back to this one, I realize how much I enjoy driving it. I even find the seats comfortable now, though I didn't like them very much at first.

Over a decade and going strong

Ryan, 09/15/2019
2.5 i Special Edition 4dr Sedan AWD (2.5L 4cyl 4A)

I have owned this car for 12 years and have tried to trade it in twice. Both times the newer Subarus feel anemic to drive. My car is old and yes I've have to replace a lot of things over the years but all cheaper than a car payment. I've kept it because even though reliability is getting worse (more needs to be done every year) to keep it going through winter after winter, it's still more fun to drive than the newer models.

Great Car... but buy a WRX

Weston, 12/10/2006

The 2.5i model of the Impreza really is just the little brother of the 200+ WHP WRX and the 300+ WHP STi. If you want a good starter car for a teenager... this is not it. The 2.5i still shows an impressive 175WHP and is easy to upgrade. While the car may be lacking in power, it still shows a lot of promise in the handling and all around performance areas. If you are looking for a car that is an easy comparison to the RSX or the Civic but safer, look no farther. This car is GREAT and I have a feeling it will be great for years to come.

Can't wait for winter

LD VADER, 10/16/2006

Bought a 2007 Impreza 2007 2.5i this week. Love the AWD. I can't force the tires to loose traction. 174hp is a little doggy after driving a V8 for a year but the 28mpg is a nice change.

The wonderful impreza

Scott Reback, 07/14/2016
2.5 i 4dr Wagon AWD (2.5L 4cyl 4A)

be sure to check the transmition fluid before buying because over time in our impreza it did need to be replaced

51050