Used 2006 Subaru Baja Consumer Reviews - 36 Car Reviews | Edmunds

2006 Subaru Baja Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Baja model:

Amazingly useful little vehicle (06 turbo 5-speed)
By John

2006 Subaru Baja Turbo 4dr Crew Cab AWD SB w/Leather Package (2.5L 4cyl Turbo 4A)

First of all, to correct edDUMBS... the '06 did greatly change. It has about 10" clearance, and 236 HP out of the ej255 engine (same as the OB XT and the Legacy GT and the Forester XT of the same year and later). They also never came with tonneaus (buy separately) or heated seats. Do your research, author... Anyway, this is a great little car-truck. It handles like the sportier WRX by Subaru and most of the time I forget it's also a truck. With the bed extender you have 5" of bed. With the gate down, you have plenty of places to tie large objects down to. I've moved two couches at the same time, multiple refrigerators, a massive wall unit, and even a 200cc dirt bike. It's a truck and don't let anyone tell you the bed size is too small or useless. Overall great reliability, easily fast enough for mountain driving, great in the snow, and it feels like a tank compared to other Subarus. I even got lucky enough to find a used one with an ARE camper shell for the bed.

Great Car for the Mission
By Coop

2006 Subaru Baja Sport 4dr Crew Cab AWD SB (2.5L 4cyl 4A)

As a student I don’t need a big truck this the versatility of the Baja is optimal. It hauls everything I need it too with a funky stile surprisingly many appreciate. Great trucks that will hold their value and one day hopefully be a collectors car.

03 Baja 2.5 non turbo
By wot27

2006 Subaru Baja Sport 4dr Crew Cab AWD SB (2.5L 4cyl 5M)

Being my 2nd Subaru, I am
glad this one isn't the SVX. I LOVE this one, its great in
the bends, a little on slow side w/out turbo but keeping rpm's up compensates fine for "in the city" driving if you feel the need. I have slight leak at 60k miles on my heads. As it seems to be known issue, I am displeased SOA has not done something to correct issue with
the customers. as long as I get too 100k ill do head gaskets, water pump and belt @ same time. till then just keeping the oil changed.

Subaru of America, Own up, Offer Subaru owners something that is obviously a KNOWN issue, to be fixed at reduced/free cost. We as owners didn't expect faulty head gaskets. Yet, we still enjoy your product enough, to recommend others buy them.

Decent car but beware
By Mike

2006 Subaru Baja Sport 4dr Crew Cab AWD SB (2.5L 4cyl 4A)

I've had our 2006 Baja for almost four years now. While I do wish it was a Turbo (the car is too heavy for the engine to accelerate at a decent rate), it drives very well and is very predictable in bad weather and conditions. The styling is pretty cool, and the AWD is great when it snows. However, my engine has a head gasket leak. Yep, at 70,000 miles - both heads are leaking oil. It's not a huge issue right now, as the leak is very minor, but still the dealer wants $1500 for it. Same price as the other guy - I wonder if we have the same dealer? Who knows, but it's still annoying and therefore I will not recommend Subaru to anyone until I know that this issue is resolved.

Versatility - there's a bunch of things this car will do. All-wheel-drive, of course, is amazing when it rains and snows. Styling - there's nothing like it. Handling is also good which is why it's a shame that the engine is as small as it is.

Fix the Head Gasket issue! Come on Subaru! This issue has been with EJ25 (the engine the car uses) since 1998! And worse of all, there are newer cars with the issues still! Other than that, the Baja should have come standard with the H6 or the 2.5 turbo as the car bogs when loaded.

defective
By vince

2006 Subaru Baja Sport 4dr Crew Cab AWD SB (2.5L 4cyl 4A)

love the car but there is a flaw with the head gaskets. I'm leaking oil at 78,000 mi. dealer wants 1500 to fix. seems I'm not alone, beware!

sporty