Used 2013 Ram 2500 Consumer Reviews - 6 Car Reviews | Edmunds

2013 Ram 2500 Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific 2500 model:

Brain stem being shaken loose!
By Badly Shaken

2013 Ram 2500 Tradesman 4dr Crew Cab 4WD LB (5.7L 8cyl 6A)

Whoever engineered this truck should spend the rest of their lives washing dishes in a greasy spoon! This truck has "Death Wobble", look it up on line. This truck shakes so badly that it is unsafe to drive! I contacted Chrysler group. They told me to take it to a dealer to get it fixed and they would back me up. They did not. The dealer put on a set of cheap shocks and charged me over $1500 bucks! Chrysler does not care that they have sold this dangerous truck. I hope someone does not die because of this problem.

60K FOR TIN & PLASTIC
By Ethan Holmes

2013 Ram 2500 Laramie Longhorn Edition 4dr Crew Cab LB (5.7L 8cyl 6A)

Aside from the motor, which is a Cummins 6.7 powerhouse, this truck is a tin and plastic, over-priced, dysfunctional piece of garbage. The constant dinging of warning messages from the bug-ridden computers that end up meaning little while scaring the bejabbers out of the driver is one of the biggest headaches of owning this vehicle. The now infamous 'Uconnect' system is so corrupt and full of bugs that it should aptly be re-named 'Disconnect'. The fact that FCA's response was 'go buy a new truck because we fixed the problems but you're not getting the software fixes' was particularly enraging. The batteries failed withing 26 months, the running board covers are cheap plastic and have been disintegrating since day one and are as slick as black ice when wet. The entire truck is nothing but thin plastic and even thinner metal that is easily dented by pushing on a malfunctioning door. I have a list of other things wrong with this piece of garbage as long as my arm and the truck is currently under several recalls, not the least of which is the catalytic converter. I don't see $60 in this truck let alone 60K.

Good for a while
By Ryan Tafoya

2013 Ram 2500 Tradesman 4dr Crew Cab LB (5.7L 8cyl 6A)

I have been driving a 2013 2500 Ram with the Cummins engine. The truck now has 78,000 miles and other than high maintenance costs (oil change and fuel filters replacement $400) and only ok mileage (combined 18) it had been a good truck. I was recently involved in an accident that damaged the front passenger door and front fender but still drivable. It's been in and out of the dealership four times for engine repairs. The engine quit and initial sensor was for the throttle valve. First they replaced the throttle valve and did an EGR service, after the DEF light kept coming on, they finally decided that the DEF pump and airbox had gone out. With these repairs, we are now sitting at $2500. Somehow, I suspect it will not end here. The problem is the emissions technology has not been perfected and the factory does not want to admit it. The pre DEF engines ran relatively trouble free for well over 100,000 miles. Unless you plan on hauling a lot of weight, stick with the gas engines for now.Update; at about 80,000 miles the fan ate the shroud and the water pump went out at the same time. This also destroyed the radiator, repair bill $3000. The water pump went out the first time at 40,000 (under warranty). A week later the fan ate the shroud again, the dealership covered the repairs this time but the truck was down for almost a month between both repairs. Now at 85,000 miles and things are going ok. Now at 115,000 and no new problems to speak of. Engine runs good and interior has no rattles. Update; at 125,000 the right rear seal, soaking the brakes in oil. So, new seal and new rear brakes. Engine running strong, transmission has been trouble free and interior quiet. Mileage averages about 17.5 now.

Poor Towing capabilities-5th wheel
By tnraven

2013 Ram 2500 Laramie Longhorn Edition 4dr Crew Cab 4WD SB (5.7L 8cyl 6A)

I traded my Laramie Hemi for a 2500 diesel because the upper limit on the Hemi was only 10,000 lbs towing.
We were buying a fifth wheel which was 12,000 lbs.

When I got it home and did some last minute research before buying the fifth wheel we picked out, I found it could not tow it.
I am sitting here in shock after spending $70k on a truck with one purpose and it isn't capable.
THe towing number is fine at over 17,000 lbs.....but the payload capacity is only 2274 lbs.
The fifth wheel is fairly light at 1980 lbs and if I go by myself on vacation it would be OK....but adding passengers, dogs, clothes...I'm 400 lbs over.
Chevy and FOrd have no prob.em here and are in the 4000 lb p

UConnect

INCREASE PAYLOAD CAPACITY

Excellent Truck!
By quicksilver10

2013 Ram 2500 Laramie 4dr Crew Cab 4WD SB (5.7L 8cyl 6A)

Bought a new 2013 Ram 6.7L and love it supper over kill for my little boat but it does the job and more. I have had no problems up to now and gas mileage is around 20MPG in the San Antonio metro area not BAD! I will buy this truck again. Interior looks amazing they did skimp on the very fine details but its almost unnoticeable. Good truck probably the best for money and value.

Favortie feature is the touch screen system. I am able to fine the cheapest fuel in town usually saving 15 cents or more a gallon it adds up.

Improvments would be more attention to details and maybe a little better quality material.