Used 2016 Nissan Titan XD Consumer Reviews

List Price Range

Used Titan XD for Sale
Select your model:

Pros
Cons

Long Time 3/4 Ton Guy to Now a Titan XD Guy

RB, 12/14/2016
PRO-4X 4dr Crew Cab 4WD SB (5.0L 8cyl Turbodiesel 6A)

I have been a 15 year owner of 2 different ram 2500 trucks. My first was a 03' with the 5.9 Cummins and second was an 11' with the 6.7 Cummins. I'll say the 5.9 was a motor second to none. Best combination of power, efficiency, value, and reliability. Ever since diesel emmissions have crept onto the scene in ~07', I've been very dissapointed in the added cost, 25% reduction in mpg, and horrible reliability. With that said, let me explain why I love my new Titan XD. This truck was built for the diesel motor head who does not realistically need to town > 10,000 lbs regularly. Comparing the titan with many other 3/4 ton trucks I've spent countless miles in, I'd say the Titan XD takes top honors in being a well rounded every day truck when considering: size, capability, power, fit and finish, and comfort. The titan XD is by far the quietest truck of the bunch and consistently has me appreciating the engineering of the truck, while my girlfriend enjoys the comfort and quietness of the truck. The new 3/4 ton trucks have outrageous power numbers; however, I have learned these trucks HAVE to be worked and worked hard. The need to develop enough heat to burn off the soot in the exhaust after-treatment systems otherwise you are destined for issues (Yes, I'm mostly a < 30 mile / day guy and those driving habits were very problematic in my 6.7 Cummins and all the 6.7 Powerstrokes we have at work). In my opinion, the Titan's 5.0 Cummins with dual sequential turbo setup is the right amount of power to get the job done, provides excellent throttle response, and most importantly it is small enough that the motor will get a decent load cycle running the truck empty to where the engine pushes enough heat on short runs to still keep up with burning off the soot and keeping the EGR clean. My other high note for the truck is the Aisin transmission. This thing shifts on the money every time both upshifts and downshifts whether light load or towing. As you can see, I'm impressed with this Titan XD having just turned 20,000 miles. My 1 big deciding factor I'll leave you with is this: I bought my Titan XD with an $11,000 rebate. At that price point I'd recommend a Titan over any competition in it's price class for the user who appreciates diesel power and realistically tows > 5,500 lbs but < 10,000 on a regular basis. However, if Titan drops the rebates to < $6,000, I would have to say I'd make the shift into a 3/4 ton truck at that price point. Nissan, are you listening??? Keep those rebates to keep the truck priced where it should be priced. Hope my review helped.

Best Truck Yet

Eric, 07/14/2016
PRO-4X 4dr Crew Cab 4WD SB (5.0L 8cyl Turbodiesel 6A)

I have owned or driven every big truck. The Titan XD is the best truck for the everyday driver who doesn't tow excessively. If you tow a lot, get a bigger truck. Same money (-ish) and more power/capability. But that's not to say the XD isn't a great tow vehicle. It is hands down better than any 1/2 ton. I don't care what you read or saw in a review. The brakes, chassis, frame, tranny, suspension....EVERYTHING works well for towing and they are miles better than anything offered by even the best 1/2 ton (yes a 1/2 might be able to pull a heavy load since the motors are great, but the frame/suspension/brakes fall short). Make sure you get a truck that is slightly overbuilt for your needs. The 5.0L Cummins is a great motor, but definitely protects itself (by not over-working when demanded like Ford will for example). Powerful for around town and anything less than a 13,000lbs trailer. Fuel mileage could be considerably better when unloaded, but it's because of a practically 3/4 ton chassis and the smaller motor - compared to a true 3/4 or 1 ton motor. Also...the range is horrible. Need to stop way too often when towing. The fuel tank AND urea tank both need to be larger. That said, the cabin is quiet and it has the best ride quality of ANY truck. Small things like the ease of lifting the tailgate and the trailer-light check make this truck killer. Plus the warranty is arguably the best in the business. I have received many compliments by Ford, Dodge and Chevy owners. I'm not super happy about the mammoth front-end of the truck, but if you get it in the Pro4x trim, you don't have so much gaudy chrome that makes it look like an F-150 or the chromed out Dodges (unless that's your thing). Absolutely no problems thus far and I haven't been all that nice to my XD. I actually use my truck! :-)

Pro 4X Nissan Titan XD

dmichaelorr@gmail.com, 09/06/2016
PRO-4X 4dr Crew Cab 4WD SB (5.0L 8cyl Turbodiesel 6A)

I owned 3 Tundras prior to my new Titan XD. The truck has all the makings of a 2500, but sized at a 1500. It would seem that any negative reviews must come from critics and not owners. If you drive the truck for any time at all, then you'll understand how awesome of a truck this is.

Well worth the money!

Tim, 09/12/2016
SV 4dr Crew Cab SB (5.0L 8cyl Turbodiesel 6A)

This is the truck many have been waiting for and Nissan did a great job with it. I bought an SV model 4x4 with the Cummins diesel. Smooth ride, plenty of power, quiet cabin. Build quality is exceptional on mine. Better than my Tundra that I traded for the Titan. MPG has been about 20.6 so far combined on an engine that has only 400 miles on it so it is far from broken in yet. I got out the door for this truck at a little less than $40,000, so good deals are available if you look around. don't believe all the negative reviews you see from so called experts, drive one for yourself and see what a great truck this really is.

Look out Ford and Chevy, UFC Titan is here fight!

J, 11/06/2016
PRO-4X 4dr Crew Cab 4WD SB (5.6L 8cyl 7A)

I've always been a Nissan fan, but wasn't sure about the new Titan since it was a first year redesign. But there's so many Chevys and Fords I wanted to stand out. I drove from IA to AK to pickup my Titan pro4x 5.6 because I couldn't find the correct trim I wanted in the area. I trailered a 2010 Nissan Maxima with a Chevy 2500 Hd, traded the Maxima and pulled the 2500 with the Titan. I have to say it's pulls like nothing is behind you, I did notice it couldn't decide what gear to stay in through acceleration but after I removed the trailer it was fine. I wanted to really test the truck and going up a hill I was doing 80 mph no problem. So it's definitely a work horse. Gas gauge is hard to see with the steering wheel in the way. Also I did have to add power steering fluid because it started making a winning noise. Bluetooth to my S5 doesn't stay connected at times. Rockford speakers hit hard and the tool boxes are very handy for storing items. A lot people are buying diesel but you have to think what the maintenance is going to be later down the road on a Cummings and you have to purchase def blue. More of a expense through the years and a headache going to the auto part store. Overall I think Nissan did a good job, and I'm very happy with my purchase. But we will see how it holds up over the next 30,000 miles. Thank you Favorite options 120v power plug in bed by tailgate, very handy when needing a grinder. Built in bed and back seat tool boxes Over top light while driving, stays on so you can see cup holders Beefy tires no upgrades necessary with this package Overall feel is comfortable and I just want to keep driving it Chevy owners ask questions at gas stations, nice truck!

I have no idea what all the negative is about

Slingshot, 09/03/2017
SV 4dr Crew Cab SB (5.0L 8cyl Turbodiesel 6A)

I purchased a new 2017 Titan XD diesel, SV with comfort package about 3 months ago and have experianced non of the negative stuff folks have posted on here. I learned in marketing that the majority don't say anything if they are happy with their purchase and the Majority who are unhappy will say something. My truck pulls and drives like a dream. Everything works. Not one complaint here. I would recommend this truck anyone wanting more power in a full size truck but also wants great fuel economy. On the hwy I've avg as high as 24 mpg but going a seady 65 mph. Step it up to 80 mph and I'm getting 19 mpg. My Toyota Tacoma with it's 6 banger never got over 19 mpg no matter what and avg 15 to 16. I love the size of this thing and is great on a long road trip. I'd like a bigger tank that 26 gals but that will get you 500 + miles. When you tow 8000 lbs you'll drop to 15 mpg or so. My Tacoma would tow 2000 lbs and get 10 or 11 mpg. Simply an awesome truck. Love that Cummins. They sound so sweet and love to be driven hard. The big three better take notice. Nissan has sold all years of these things out although be it in limited numbers. However, They never advertised for this truck. I've never even seen one commercial. If you when by commercials you'd think the only full size trucks out there are Ford, Chevy and Ram.

Pro 4x Cummins

Shawn Davis, 11/18/2016
PRO-4X 4dr Crew Cab 4WD SB (5.0L 8cyl Turbodiesel 6A)

Don't do it! Terrible experience. I loved this truck when I first bought it. Wanted to keep loving it. But at 22,800 miles and 22 months in I had to take my very huge loss and part with it. It had been in the shop for a total of 36 days. Came in on the hook twice, and limped in once. Nissan in my area was little to no help. I did manage to get them to give me a rental for 3 days once after they had the truck for 8 days. I bought this truck to upgrade my old Chevy, but my old Chevy with 300k on it was far more reliable than this brand new Nissan. Too many electrical and computer issues made me afraid to take this thing out of town, let alone out in the backwoods.

Titan XD tows like a beast.

JBasser, 12/02/2016
SL 4dr Crew Cab SB (5.0L 8cyl Turbodiesel 6A)

I am A retired Quality Engineer and have owned a 2011 Ram (Cummins) Mega Cab Laramie and a Silverado (Duramax) LTZ and the Titan XD. The Titan XD is hands down has a better ride quality, Handles better, and actually tows by 32 foot Keystone easily. The Cummins diesel is no joke. On the Highway this thing moves with fuel mileage for the first 2200 miles at 18 Hwy and 15 City. The interior comfort on the SL is comparable to the LTZ. Driving this truck is easy and you do not have to fight the wheel like the chevy and ram. The factory goose neck setup is great, The Electrical connector in the bed can run an electric impact wrench, The wheel to wheel lit running boards allow easy entry for me and the wife who complained about the Chevy and Ram. The two issues that can be improved are the Fuel tank size and adding Passenger Lumbar control. I can add a auxiliary tank and a tuner later on. The dealership has been great with a couple of small issues. Overall this truck is exactly what I needed. WIth the Ram Recalls and the Chevrolet vibration issues Titan XD is an excellent option. I did drive a Tundra Platinum and liked the truck but the leather seats were just a tad bit (Not Much) softer than the seats Fred Flintstone had in his car.

I Said Good Buy to My FORD and Silverado 2500

roberto.acevedo@hilton.com, 04/02/2016
SL 4dr Crew Cab 4WD SB (5.0L 8cyl Turbodiesel 6A)

Interior is nice more modern then any truck out there on top of very spacious !!! The technology is very up to date with there safety futures. on top of luxury interior and 12 speakers wit 1 sub its great sound!! the Diesel engine you can not hear it at all inside the car or driving after 40 MPH. the MPG i get so far is 21-25 highway on top diesel being cheaper then GAS. the Turbo boost is great!!! ever time i get to my destination it gives me my total of my MPG and the list of previous MPG Results it will compare it. Theres a LOT of awesome stuff you could do with the TRUCK!! one i like is it has Eye bird view and Parking Assit has sensors 360 around the car. Making this shorter I wont go back to Chevy or Dodge.

PLEASE READ BEFORE BUYING. SAFETY ISSUE.

Concerned, 09/18/2017
Platinum Reserve 4dr Crew Cab 4WD SB (5.6L 8cyl 7A)

I am concerned and Nissan should be too. This is a serious safety issue. This issue has happened three times since I purchased this truck less than 3 weeks ago. In the middle of driving I suddenly lose power as if I let off the gas pedal, only I don't. It just starts coasting and wont respond to me pushing down on the accelerator. All the electrical power stays intact. The RPMs stay around 1 no matter how far down I push the gas pedal. The most serious incident occurred a day ago. I pulled out from a stop sign. As I turned right I accelerated to 10 mph then nothing. No response to me pushing the gas pedal. I floored it, nothing. I eased into it, nothing. It slowed to 5 mph and crept until I could pull off on a side street. I put it in park and back in drive and it seemed to do the trick. If I had been crossing traffic I would have stalled and been hit by an oncoming car. The first time this incident happened I was cruising along at 40 mph when it just died on me. It slowed to 15 mph as I pushed to accelerator. It happened over 3-5 seconds. All of a sudden it came back to life and leaped up in RPMs. I emailed Nissan a week ago when it first happened. No response. I emailed them this time. No response. I called them and they have instructed I take it in to a dealer, which I will. It is 2016 certified pre-owned. Its a nice truck but of course not worth risking someone's life/health. Needless to say I'm a regretful owner.

51050