2008 Mercury Grand Marquis Consumer Review: Gone for a reason

2008 Mercury Grand Marquis - Consumer Review

LS Sedan (4.6L V8 FFV 4-speed Automatic)

Gone for a reason
By j_rob82 on

2008 Mercury Grand Marquis LS 4dr Sedan (4.6L 8cyl 4A)

I write this tonight as we have just sold our 2008 Grand Marquis LS. It's pillowy ride can lead to car sickness if you drive it on a curvy road. It wallows and bounces up and down like an ocean liner in a bad storm. Speaking of storms, it does horrible in adverse weather and to top it all off, we had a few quality concerns, though the drivetrain has ran flawlessly. Our previous Mercury, a '97 Sable, was the exact opposite experiance. The ride and handling were ballanced well and traction was never a problem. It also seemed to have more leg room which is why we sold the Grand Marquis and are purchasing a 2012 Taurus tomorrow. The quality of the leather alone in the Taurus is 10X that in the G

Rear wheel drive great for doing burnouts, but other than that, uselsss in everyday driving. I got compliments from a late teens/early 20s black guy expressing his desire to put 24" wheels on it. Not kidding.

Do what they have already done, replace it with the new-design Taurus. The quality is so much better, the fit/finish, the smell and feel of the leather, how hushed the cabin is without any rattles or squeeks. There is a reason the Grand Marquis is out of production, and any one's question to that fact would be answered by a drive in the car that replaced it.

Are you the author of this review?

Update Your Review
By lesabrelover
on 10/28/15 13:12 PM (PDT)

From this review I can tell that the writer is not used to driving a rear wheel drive vehicle. I've been driving 41 years and have owned 3 Grand Marquis and never got sea sick. And as someone else said, you have to have good tires in them> I put Firestone Ecopia's on and I inflate about 3 pounds more than recommended which helps gas mileage and makes the ride a littler firmer. If you make a mentl note of how many cars you see on the road that are more than 8 or 9 or 20 years old you'll see that a very high percentage of them are Grand Marquis. That should tell you something.

By topvalueguy
on 09/26/15 22:56 PM (PDT)

Mine handles quite well. My son had a 2001 and I had a 2004. The 2004 was night and day better handling than the 2001, due to a model year 2003 suspension upgrade. I also have Michelin Symmetry tires all the way around and the ride is smooth and quiet. If yours didn't handle well, I wonder if you perhaps had cut price tires on it, or possibly too low tire pressure. Proper inflation can sometimes firm up a ride that has gone soft.

By topvalueguy
on 07/13/16 21:46 PM (PDT)

Topvalueguy here again. I now have a 2008 MGM with new Michelin Defender tires all around. This is the 3rd MGM for our family. These are quite expensive tires, but on a 4,000 lb car they make a big difference in quietness, comfort, handling, and safety. The MGM's ride tends to be smoother and cushier than most cars, yet not at all floaty or scary. Suspect this owner had worn or cheap line tires from Costco or some no-name brand.