Used 2016 Lexus GX 460 Consumer Reviews

List Price Range

Used GX 460 for Sale
Select your model:

Pros
Cons

Love this SUV

Julia, 06/07/2016
Luxury 4dr SUV 4WD (4.6L 8cyl 6A)

This is my second GX. My first was a 2012. I am always surprised by the expert reviews of this SUV. I have driven a Subaru outback, a Volvo XC70, a Toyota highlander and a Chevy Suburban and none of them can come close to the performance of the GX in the snow. I live in Wisconsin and missing a workday due to snow is not an option for me. I have been on the interstate in three blizzards this winter alone and the GX is solid on the road. The gas milage well outperforms stated (22-23) and in a SUV with true 4 wheel drive capability I am pleased. Unlike my husband's suburban, and my neighbors Mercedes and BMW, my 2012 GX has had no mechanical issues, even minor, ever! I traded only for new tech options and safety features and because my neighbor wanted to buy my 2012. I wonder if the reviewers have ever really driven in snow... because the is no better SUV in my mind. My teenagers often use the third row and have never complained. The way the back door swings open, even when parallel parked has never been an issue. The blind spot is huge and the addition of the blind spot monitor will be welcome, I did not have it on my 2012. Update: I have now had my GX for about 6 months and put just over 5000 miles on. I am getting used to the adaptive cruise but I wish I could turn it off if needed. The brake assist has prevented an accident when another car pulled in front of me. Compared to my previous 2012 the touchscreen is more difficult to deal with and at times doesn't register my touch (I am due for maintenance and this may just need an update). The most annoying feature is the front camera that comes on at every stoplight and stop sign. When the camera comes on it interrupts any phone call I am trying to make or any commands that I am verbally giving the navigation system, very annoying! On snow the SUV remains amazing and I have driven a subaru, Volvo, highlander and suburban through Wisconsin winters and this SUV is by far superior. Would still highly recommend and would purchase again despite the annoying tech issues.

Expedition Downsizing / Follow-up review

Ron, 08/21/2016
Luxury 4dr SUV 4WD (4.6L 8cyl 6A)

We have been a Ford Expedition family for years and they served us well hauling boats, kids to sporting events, vacations, moving, weddings etc. We were looking for a new expedition and noticed that the power options were limited to 6cyl eco boost. Apparently Ford decided to do away with 5.4 V8. Too bad. We looked at all of the other domestic Suv's and nothing really hit us. By chance we stopped into the Lexus dealership and noticed the GX460.Granted it's not as big as the Expedition but the kids are all married. The ride is firm solid yet refined and in, many ways better that my exp. Fit n finish is excellent . The overall driving experience is second to none. Acceleration is strong and reliable.We still tow the Whaler and it does it with ease and I have no regrets. After 1000miles we re getting 21.8mpg combined while getting 23 highway. We have not seen or experienced the concerns/issues of prior reviewers. It's an excellent Truck! Since the initial review we now have 3 K miles and it just keeps getting better. Driving in bad weather and snow/ice doesn't phase the GX one bit. Really unbelievable traction and no slip whatsoever in some major snow and ice conditions. The most solid and sure footed truck I have ever driven even without haveing to lock it into 4WD. Much better than the expedition ever thought of being. Fit and finish still great no vibrations or unexplained noise or rattles. Most solid truck I have ever had while still being a refined ride. We now have over 6k miles on the Lexus and it drives as good as it did the day we drove it home. My previous comments regarding fit, finish, perfprmance and overall quality are still on point with no degridation what so ever. Truly the best truck ever, exceeding our expectations . Much better than the expedition ever was. To be truthful though I do on rare occasions miss the extra space of the Expedition but not enough to make me go back to one. I just hook up the utility trailer. No regrets. It’s now been two years since we purchased the 2016 Lexus GX460 Luxury Edition and it is truly the best SUV we have ever owned. It is a smooth, quiet, powerful, refined and go anywhere vehicle. No issues at all just fun and great to drive. My wife likes it so much she want one this time I. Red. I guess another trip to the dealer is in order.

GX is great again

Dave, 09/21/2016
4dr SUV 4WD (4.6L 8cyl 6A)

This is our third GX. Our '04 GX 470 had almost 200k miles. It's cooling pipe went bust on the freeway, by the time we pulled to the next exit it over heated. It ran another 6 months afterwards before we sold it to CarMax. We bought the new '15 GX and it was totaled a month later after being rear ended by a careless driver. The frame buckled and the rear bumper had the guys front end imprinted on it. I was able to walk away with only a stiff neck.. the other driver had a fractured jaw, broken arm and leg and ribs. The GX saved my live. We bought our third GX a few weeks later. This is a heavy traditional SUV, the acceleration is measured and "stately". Fuel economy is in the high teens, not bad for this type of vehicle. Handling is good if you get used to the truckiness. On the freeway, it is stable and quiet. It's not the quickest, but it does get to 80 to 90 mph before you know it. The only complains I have is the poor placement of the two USB ports in the center console. When plugged in, the sliding hatch cover have to be open. And there are no power ports for the 2'nd row. It got a little irritation having to charge the Kids' ipads on long trips. The Lexus roof rack cross bars are nice looking, however, they sit too close to the roof making tying down cargo a bit difficult. also you need a Torx key to move them. I liked the old GX's roof rack, with plenty of tie in points to strap your cargo. Update, we got side swiped by some guy in a beat up 300. We must be cursed in our GX! The damage was extensive, from the front bumper to the back bumper. The wife barely felt the impact, another testament to the safety of this truck. Luckily only body damage sustained. 6 weeks and $13000 later, the truck was fixed with new bumper, fenders, doors, side step. The only new gripe I have is the stock tires worn out faster than the tire warranty, and the ride is noticeably harsher than before. We will be getting new meats for the truck soon.

A tank

Gil, 10/16/2016
4dr SUV 4WD (4.6L 8cyl 6A)

I don't get this. Why is this truck not getting 5 stars in every review . I traded a 2014 VW Touareg TDI for the Lexus. I got tired of the running that the dealer give me. ( Is normal is a German car, is build for performance). Well, in my eyes , the most important thing is to get me where i want to go without having to call a tow truck. Lexus , please don't pay attention to all these spring journalist that think , they know what and how a truck should perform. Please keep making this truck the way it is. I would love to have that 2.8 diesel engine that is been sold everywhere around the world but <<<< for now i will settle for this silk smooth 4.6 engine . Maybe a little turbo ??? next generation ?? in about four years .

Loooooooove!!!

Lexus fan!, 07/25/2016
4dr SUV 4WD (4.6L 8cyl 6A)

Just traded in my 2013 RX for the 2016 GX, which is what I should have gotten in the first place instead of the RX. Can't say enough about how much I love it. Great ride -- feels much more substantial than the RX (although the RX was great), and has all the features I need. Yes, the new remodeled RXs definitely have more bells and whistles but the GX is fantastic!

Lexus...buy it for looks buy it to last..

Eric, 08/21/2018
4dr SUV 4WD (4.6L 8cyl 6A)

I purchased my 2017 Lexus GX 460 (V8 4x4) as I simply wanted a vehicle to work, be reliable and look great doing it whilst holding it's value. I can not believe the few whiny, sniveling folks who have complained about nothingness (e.g): "not the best fuel economy" - if 15 to 20+ mpg is bad to you, then you can not afford this excellent vehicle anyway. -Eric (from Coeur d'Alene)

This Is My Second Lexus GX

Patrick, 09/15/2016
Luxury 4dr SUV 4WD (4.6L 8cyl 6A)

Drove a 2006 Lexus GX for 10 years and 130,000 miles. Not one problem from the day I drove it off the dealer's lot. In August 2016 I purchased a new 2016 GX 460. It is a solid car; extremely quiet and the workmanship is high quality. Very pleased with it. I looked a numerous SUVs ( not crossovers ) and kept coming back to the Lexus GX. For the money it is a good value. Anticipate driving this one for another 10 years.

Please make a V8 4Runner again Toyota!

Mike, 11/20/2015
4dr SUV 4WD (4.6L 8cyl 6A)

Let me start by saying we did NOT buy this because of the badge on the hood! I have read so many comments at the bottom of reviews for the GX that rip it shreds and proclaim it nothing more than a mall crawler, trophy wife truck and an outdated one at that. I will not disagree that in many instances those comments apply, but I applaud Toyota for offering a BOF SUV with a V8, I only wish I didn't have to buy a Lexus to get it. This vehicle is for my wife, and yes she's my trophy and yes she does a fair amount of mall crawling, BUT....we also regularly tow a travel trailer and aren't afraid to traverse trails, cross small streams or other off road activities with bikes mounted on the roof, kids and dogs in the back. We actually NEED capability and USE it! I am a long time Toyota fan, having owned multiple Tacomas and Lexus LS400's when I was in sales and I can't say enough good about their quality and longevity. I sold my last LS400 with 267k on the odometer running strong! With a travel trailer, two kids and a dog the '03 Tacoma double cab V6 wasn't cutting it for tow duties any longer and we test drove and fell in love with the 4Runner's looks and attitude. What I didn't fall in love with was the 4.0L V6 and 4,700 lb tow rating. With that bad news, my research led me to the "Lexified" version of the 4Runner, aka GX460. From the moment we drove it, she loved the interior feel, looks(controversial) and smooth V8. I liked the 6,500lb tow rating and the interior upgrades over the 4Runner. We looked at Tahoes/Yukons but didn't need that much size, looked at Jeep GC's but wanted a 3rd row and also looked at the Land Rover LR4. I absolutely loved the LR4 and was smitten with it's feel, looks, heritage and off road prowess. She didn't care for it at all, and since we plan to keep this vehicle for a long time I figured it was much wiser to go with a Toyota rather than a Land Rover. I quickly realized that Toyota took a smart pill and figured out "Why sell a V8 4Runner, when you can push consumers to the Lexus brand?" We bought in hook, line and sinker. It's a great truck, albeit heavy,thirsty, and expensive but if you want or need to tow and go off road your choices are pretty limited these days. I'm confident it will serve us well for years to come. If you don't have a need for "duty" get an RX or one of the other countless lifted sedans out there. 11/23/16 Update We have owned the vehicle for a year now and towed a 3,500lb camper over a thousand miles on two occasions. The truck doesn't mind a bit and transports its occupants in style and comfort. A couple caveats: 1) We have seen significantly better mileage using premium fuel, not sure why. 2) It returns about 9-12 MPG when towing our camper 3) It sags a bit more than I care for when towing, but we do not have the self-leveling suspension. 4) The "leather" on the seats is sub-par for a $57,000 truck in my opinion. It is my understanding that this model is going away after 2017, so if you want/need a big body on frame SUV for towing in style with Toyota quality you'd better act quickly.

Get one before they are gone for good.

Free Thinker, 12/17/2016
Luxury 4dr SUV 4WD (4.6L 8cyl 6A)

i have owned many Toyota and Lexus products through out the years and they have all been great. This is my first GX. What a truck! It's luxury meets old school solid off road warrior. I lease my cars and got a Lease quote on a 4 Runner with the TRD package, which I loved, but it's not the type truck you can take to an opera, plus the lease program was not so great. Then I looked at the 2017 GX 460 base model Black exterior with Sepia Nu Lux imitation leather interior and all the 4x4 goods that come on this truck. I was amazed how great it drove and just how old school it still felt, but in a good way. This thing is a true off roader and it's based more on the Land Cruiser Prado than the 4 runner. With driverless cars and the electric vehicles being the desired way of the future. I can't imagine this rough and Tough Lexus being made available to much longer and replaced with something more trendy. For us 4x4 truck lovers. Now is the time to grab a 4Runner, GX, land cruiser before they are gone just like the FJ. I love my GX because it's everything the 4Runner is and much more. Will be buying mine at the end of the lease which is fortunately my option to do so, plus the resale value is so good it's truly a no brainer.

Reliability and Comfort

Terrence Cardwell, 12/26/2016
Luxury 4dr SUV 4WD (4.6L 8cyl 6A)

The GX is a bargain. It's extremely comfortable to drive and it holds the road better than any SUV I've driven. It's quiet and comfortable yet it's powerful and agile. There's not a better deal out there. The car is very safe to drive. The cross traffic warning and large rear view camera come in handy when parking, backing up, and maneuvering in close spaces. This is my second GX and I have yet to experience a quality issue or have need of a repair. It's quiet and handles poor road conditions very well.

51050