Skip to main content

$34,590

Used Kona Electric for Sale
Select your model:

Pros
Cons
    5 out of 5 stars

Love my Kona EV!!! 10k miles so far

Lori, 10/01/2019
    Ultimate 4dr SUV (electric DD)

Great range, comfy and safe ride, and it's fun to drive. I've had my Kona Electric for 5 months and I honestly love this car. It's fun to drive, gets great range - there's more and more fast chargers popping up so extended trips aren't a problem. I charge at home mostly, it's so nice not stopping for gas. The safety features are wonderful. I love the auto regeneration, it slows the car down for you and charges the battery. The lane keep assist is also helpful, but sensitive -- the car tells me to keep my hands on the wheel, when they are on the wheel. The auto headlights are nice. All in all, night time driving isn't my favorite -- but I feel safe and confident in my Kona. She keeps me in my lane, adjusts the headlights for me, tells me if someone is in my blind spot driving or reversing out of a parking space . The Ultimate trim has so many auto features I'm starting to rely on I worry about driving another car. I feel like this car is safe, and almost free to drive, I have my 16 year old drive this car, not our Volvo XC90, when I don't need the car. This car lives up to the hype. Highly recommended!!!!!

5 out of 5 stars

Best EV? I think so. At least in my price range.

first time evbuyer, 09/03/2019
    Ultimate 4dr SUV (electric DD)

Peppy, handles well and the base model, which has tons of features, can be bought for under $30k after the $7,500 tax credit gets applied. If you lease the tax credit is instant.

Impressive!

Govjaguar, 10/21/2019
    Ultimate 4dr SUV (electric DD)

We were doing our research on a practical EV that offers great range, practicality and value. We got the Ultimate model with the Pebble blue interiors and already did over a 1000 miles in 3 weeks. We constantly got around 300 miles with economical driving and was very impressed with the seating position, ease of controls, driving dynamics and looks. The Heads up display is very intuitive and helpful. The digital dash and 8 inch touch screen and controls were easy to us and Smart features like Auto regenerative braking, pedestrian and forward collision warning, Driver only AC, Auto Lane assist, ventilated cooled seats etc makes it a smart buy. Its such a joy to drive with plenty of power and range. And you can use the app to check on the car statistics and send controls. It also comes up Hyundai's lifetime battery warranty.

Amazing Vehicle!

BlueKonaEV, 12/27/2019
    updated 12/30/2020
    SEL 4dr SUV (electric DD)

Bought my 2019 Kona Electric SEL on 6/28 in Maryland (as car is not sold where I live) and drove it home 1090 miles to Florida. I have already driven over 17000 miles in 6 months and the car has been performing flawless. Around town, I get up to 350 miles of range and even at 70 mph on the highway, I get about 250 miles of range. The range of this car is definitely underrated. Car handles very well for a short wheelbase car due to the low center of gravity as the battery sits on the bottom of the car. There is almost no maintenance and my total expense so far other than the purchase price was $40 for the cabin air filter which is supposed to be replaced every 15k miles. This is a perfect car for anyone who drives lots of miles as the savings are huge. I was lucky and got over $2k off MSRP and paid a total of $36100 before tax and title. After $7500 tax credit, it comes out to $28600 + taxes and title which brings the total to a little over $30k. Not bad for a car that saves me $4000 over driving my gas F150 V8 to work every day. I also love the fact that the 2019 model of the Kona Electric has a LIFETIME battery warranty for the original owner. I doubt that I will ever sell the car as having a lifetime warranty on the most expensive part of the car gives me peace of mind. 42500 mile update 12/30/2020: Still no issue and still no range loss! Great car!

2 out of 5 stars

Not as slick as a Tesla. Beware of battery problem

coder, 10/02/2020
    updated 12/29/2021
    Limited 4dr SUV (electric DD)

So far, this has been a solid, trouble free EV for us. Front wheel drive only. Bought it in 2020, as the new models just started to come out. The 2019-s still had the lifetime battery warranty (unlike Tesla, they do not guarantee any battery performance levels) plus my dealer had a pretty good discount on this model. Full federal tax credit of $7500 and a Massaschsusetts $2500 EV rebate is still available plus some incentives from my Electric company. With the current low energy prices, the fuel related savings are not all that compelling, esp. given the up-front premium I paid, but the relatively maintenance free aspect, and usable driving range of a highy-capacity battery, modern EV-s was a draw. Charging and battery: One reason to go with a larger capacity battery, is to avoid charging or depleting the battery fully, which is thought to improve battery life. I am practicing 20-90, I only deplete to 20% and only charge to 90% capacity, except for an occasional long trip. The battery is 64KWH, so it gives about 240 miles of usable range. The battery system is water cooled, similar to Tesla. Public charging is more plentiful than I expected, initially I was topping up at work where we have a couple of subsidized Level 2 charging stations. Unless your typical daily mileage is very low, the included 117V charger is not useable. It is the best to install a Level 2 charger in your home. Electricians tend to overcharge for putting in one of these, I did it myself. My total cost was about $900 including a ChargePoint HomeFlex charger. 25' from my panel. (I run a 6 AWG line from a 50W dedicated breaker in my panel, mostly in conduit). If you have it done, it will be probably ~$2K for just the the install. I was surprised how little know-how or advice the dealer had with a charger install. It is odd how neither the dealer, or the manufacturer wanted to have anything to do with the home charger installation. I guess every house is different, and there is a lot of possible liability, so they tend to want to punt on this. Maintenance: because of the regen braking, brake pads are reported to last 100K+ miles on EV-s. No oil changes. No transmission service, although there is reduction gear fluid which needs to be changed, similar to transmisison service.. No spark plugs. No exhaust system. No ignition system.. No alternator so a lot fewer components that can fail. Electric cars are just superior, far more efficient technology tnban ICE. I have the "Limited" trim. Leather seating, although thin and cheap looking "patent" leather. Heated seats, a mediocre stereo, a fair amount of road noise, although very little engine noise. Lots of torque. The LKA lane keeping assist) is just a teaser at this point. The car will steer for you and keep itself centered between your lane, but shuts off the self-steering if you take your hands off the wheel for a minute or two.. The car is a small-ish mini-suv, does not have a lot of legroom for the rear seat occupants. Surprisingly little cargo space in the rear. I find myself folding down at least one of the rear seats, when I am grocery shopping. Dislikes: Cramped cheap-ish looking interior, mediocre sound system, looks. esp. the looks of the wheels, and the front fascia. Likes: Fairly OK driving experience, because the batteries give it a low center of gravity and good front-rear weight distro. Clean running, low maintenance . Auto high-low beam headlights with cornering lights is great. All LED lights. Lane change warning, LKA, pre-collision assist. Update: It is not widely advertised how horrible the range loss gets in very cold or hot weather. It could be up to 50% on a really cold day. Having a heat pump minimizes the heating/ AC range loss significantly. I seem to recall thjs decreases the worst case cold temp "range loss" to 20-30% instead of 50%.. IMO having a heat pump a rather compelling feature.> If I was aware if this up front I certainly would have considered that a "must have". feature. I view this as the "great unsolved BEV problem". Seems to me, the way forward is making heat pumps standard equipment, and improving the cabin insulation, heat reflection etc. Finesse, instead of the current brute force solution (throwing battery power at the problem). There has been a recent controversy about reported battery fires in Canada, Korea and in Europe. A recent software update claimed to take care of this issue, but did not. Hyundai announced a campaign to replace some 70-or 80k batteries, but so far the only batteries they replaced are in cars that shut themselves down because of detected impending battery failure. In case your car shuts down, there is a typical (MONTHS) long wait for a new battery. Hyundai offered buybacks for some of these cars. The 2020 and newer Konas do not have a battery issue. Latest: Hyundai claims now that they can "fix" the battery problem with another software update. They have been tight-lipped about the latest theory about these battery fires, or how the software update would fix the problem. I had the update, and the dealer restored by chage setting to allow charge to 100%. They claim the car is now safe. I woudl believe them more if they actually explained the current working theory. The latest software update made the lane keeping assist now totally useless. It was not overly impressive to begin with, but now it immediately shuts itself off, as soon as it activates once to steer the car back into the lane. Vey wimpy audio warning when it does this, so I just stopped using it.

2 out of 5 stars