Used 2001 GMC Safari Consumer Reviews - 15 Car Reviews | Edmunds

2001 GMC Safari Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Safari model:

A winner!!!
By livestrong 68

2001 GMC Safari SLE AWD 3dr Minivan (4.3L 6cyl 4A)

Love it..

Quite the vehicle in its prime! Up to 100,000?
By Ron Snopek

2001 GMC Safari SLE AWD 3dr Minivan (4.3L 6cyl 4A)

It has an excellent transmission! Maybe someone else replaced it. I paid $5000@108,000 miles for my Safari in 2012 and in 5 years and 32,000 miles it has nickeled and dimed me for $9,570 total in repairs (of the receipts that I kept) not including oil changes. 8 times I was towed and misspent $1,175 of that total for tune-ups, sensors, distributer caps, etc. when it turned out to be a loose wire in a harness, which needed to be replaced, of course. Those repair guys loved me. I had to replace the head gasket, fuel pump, rear differential swap-out, brakes (twice), oil cooler lines, power steering hoses, ABS module, the door handle broke off, mufflers, exhaust system and cat converter, front sway bar and links, EGR valve, and the windshield leaked so I bought a new one--that was a minor expense. Now my '01 Safari has a bad ABS wheel sensor and the dome light defeat button is shorting out. The vehicle is worth $1,500 after I have the wheel sensor replaced. It burns no smoke, however, and has 190hp@only 4,400rpm and 250lbs of torque @ only 2800rpm. Mine sat 7 people a few times. It's junk!

I LOVE my Safari!
By Happy Safari Owner

2001 GMC Safari SLE Rwd 3dr Minivan (4.3L 6cyl 4A)

I have nothing but good things to say about this van. Maybe I just got lucky with my particular vehicle, but I have had to put nothing but tires on this thing! I bought this 2001 SLE in April of 2009 and it had 120K miles already, so I brought it by my mechanic's shop and it passed with flying colors. It's now over a year and 25K miles later, and I had to put tires on it. Runs strong with 145K miles, no smoke, plenty of power, handles wonderfully, very comfortable for my bad back with 4 herniated discs, and I use it almost every weekend to haul a large amount of musical gear to the stage. I really don't understand why they are disc'd, but a 2011 or 2012 return would be VERY SMART!

Comfort of seating, overall space, surprising power for a 6 cyl., great visibility, good on gas for its size.

Start making them again! No other suggestions, mine is just perfect! I love the color, looks, ride, everything.

WHY! Did They Stop Making Them???
By GMC all the way

2001 GMC Safari SLE Rwd 3dr Minivan (4.3L 6cyl 4A)

Just love this Van! This is my second I purchased the first on brand new in 1990 with a high top, swivel seats, TV, VCR... after 156,000 miles I bought a 2001 in 2002 and still have it today. It has 163,000 miles and still going. I'm 6'-8" tall and 360 lbs. The van is a work horse. I fit like a glove It has gone to Florida and all parts northeast. I used it to move my tools and merchandise in both of my businesses. Why oh Why did they stop making this creature of love!!! I will miss you and will with all my heart try to keep what I have for as long as it will run. I have replaced many components, but that OK I want to keep it for a long time. Long Live the Astro and Safari Vans...

Large cargo haul, 3 door rear entrance, overhead console, rear A/C 8 speaker CD stereo system, unlimited cup holders, ez parking Very roomy for the driver (me)

Fuel economy, handling in snow and ice, Start Build the Astro and Sarfari Again!!!

Has been good to us
By Finzphan

2001 GMC Safari SLE Rwd 3dr Minivan (4.3L 6cyl 4A)

This van is set up to haul the family and its cargo. Has been good both in town and on the highway. Not the best looking vehicle on the road, but it does what is asked of it. Regular maintenance keeps it in shape.

Rear A/C is a plus. Pretty comfortable on log trips. Highway economy not bad for a vehicle of this size (20-22mpg). Make it from Phoenix to San Diego on one tank.

Driver leg room a little tight. Developed a minor oil leak around the pan at 70K. Much more road noise than there should be. EBCM (brake module), went out after 60K and dealership wants almost $800 to fix.