Used 2015 Ford Focus ST Consumer Reviews

List Price Range

Used Focus ST for Sale
Select your model:

Pros
Cons

2015 Focus ST- Transmission problem @160 K miles

Andolina, V.P., 03/13/2016
4dr Hatchback (2.0L 4cyl Turbo 6M)

Now at 5 yrs old / 160,000 miles the 6th gear syncho has been a problem for the past few months. This is my fault from a blown shift. Merging onto a highway, I saw a huge pickup truck towing a landscaper's trailer speeding up not to let me in. As I merged in the truck continued coming at me and I got flustered and tried to shift from 4th to 5th at the redline. Instead the transmission popped out of gear and the engine momentarily over-reved. Since then the transmission is difficult to shift into 6th. A web search disclosed that this is not uncommon for STs. I have delayed getting it fixed. But now the car is much less fun to drive because once I get it onto 6th I don't want to downshift unless unavoidable. My bad. ____________________________________ At 150,000 (mostly highway) miles the only unscheduled repairs were a battery and rear shocks. It is still on the original brake pads. A new set of Continental ExtremeContact DWS06 all-season tires have smoothed out the ride and greatly reduced NVH. My prior reviews of the Focus ST might have given the impression that I drive it constantly in getaway-car mode. Not true at all -- most of my driving is at 60-75 mph in top gear (3,000 rpm or less) in the middle lane, and the car is a pleasant commuter. But if you need to (or feel like) sudden acceleration another 25+ mph is on tap in a few seconds by mashing the accelerator even if you don't downshift. Furthermore the torquey engine is pleasant at 40 mph in 6th gear at about 1,500 rpm, and the manual transmission is a pleasure to downshift approaching slowdowns or stops. That helps save the brake pads. So a used 2015 Focus ST in good condition would be a good purchase as a daily commuter with fun factor, even if you don't drive it as if you're auditioning for the next "Fast and ..." movie. _________________________________- At 133K miles and four years old, this car is still great fun to drive and excels at "point & squirt." Great car for getting "you're #1" salutes from other drivers (although they tend to use the middle finger). Excellent at slicing through groups of slower-moving cars: plan a path forward (and an alternate in case of unexpected lane changes by other drivers), hit the sport mode button, downshift and badaboom badabing you're in the clear again. If you enjoy such vehicular hooliganism, this is the car for you. On the other hand, if a state trooper clocks you weaving at speeds well above the speed limit, that is an expensive speeding ticket with the potential for reckless driving added in. The ST isn't embarrassingly geeky-looking like certain other cars in the class, and the exhaust is not overtly loud and annoying. Rather than holler "look at me," it probably gets the reaction of "who was that jerk" as you disappear into the distance. I recommend the Focus ST as a used car and a worthy lower-cost alternative to a VW GTI, Subaru WRX, or Honda Civic Sport. ______________ This car is like traveling in a group of butterflies and hummingbirds, and you're a killer bee... Positives Fun to drive, great handling and acceleration Tall gearing is economical and minimizes use of turbo boost Excellent build quality and reliability – only repair costs to date are a battery and rear shocks (total less than $500) Can transport large amounts of cargo for its size, especially with rear seats folded down Negatives Small cabin with minimal rear seat legroom Weak HVAC with poorly placed outlets No heated seat or mirrors if the leather seat option package is not purchased Suggestions For best off-the-line acceleration, start slowly and avoid wheelspin until the tires hook up Manually run AC or heat at high levels at first, then adjust when desired temperature is reached Continental ExtremeContact tires provide a smoother ride than the O.E. Pirellis and also provide more than adequate traction Keep safety in mind and avoid attention-getting high speed weaving through slower traffic, which is frowned upon by law enforcement

Amazing bang for the buck.

Ken M, 02/16/2016
4dr Hatchback (2.0L 4cyl Turbo 6M)

When I went looking for a new car I really wanted some sporty but practical. I really loved the Subaru WRX but with a bare bones WRX it was over $26k. Found out about the Focus ST, did some research, and I had to test drive it. I ended up with the basic 2015 Ford Focus ST (no Recaro seats, dual climate, etc). I paid far less than the WRX and got much more; standard it has fog lights, LED running day lights (give it an aggressive look) Bluetooth, back up camera, great looking exhaust, all four power windows have one touch up/down, stainless steel pedals, very nice low profile wheels, and on top of this better gas mileage. I can't account for how the Recaro seats feel, I've heard mixed reviews, but the cloth seats that come with it look great (gray and black with ST logo stitched into seat) and are super comfortable, even for longer rides. As a daily driver it's a great ride. You have the speed when you want it and fuel economy to match. Merging onto the highway is a thoroughly enjoyable experience now and picking up speed on the highway takes no time at all. Where it's most fun is a good backroad, the steering is really tight, precise, and has a great feel. Add onto this the practicality of a hatch and you've got one great car. I can't account for the longevity of the vehicle but I'm hoping for the best, so far I've had 0 issues with. Pros: Great bang for the buck given everything that comes with it standard. Great gas mileage for a sport car with a turbocharger (have gotten up to 33mpg on the highway). Hatchback fits a lot, after removing the privacy cover I've fit two 80lb dogs comfortably in the back without lowering the seats. The acceleration. Cons: Only a 60,000 mile warranty through Ford, which is kind of pitiful compared to their competitors. Ford says you can use 87 octane fuel but from what I've researched you'll lose a little bit of fuel economy and 9 horsepower, no change in peak torque though. The backup camera occasionally won't turn on when you put it in reverse, have to pop it into neutral and then shift it back into reverse. Comes with summer tires standard which is great until the winter. Does not do well in the snow at all, but I am cheap and could not justify buying brand new all seasons or winter tires when I've got a new set of tires already on it. It may perform well in the snow with better tires.

4 cylinder with v8 torque and race car handling!!

Jaime Perez, 01/26/2017
4dr Hatchback (2.0L 4cyl Turbo 6M)

I had a 2015 focus st for a year. There was nothing wrong with the car. I only traded it in because I've been wanting to own a mustang since I was a little kid so when I was given a great offer for a 2017 mustang gt new I couldn't reject it. I will say that I will own another focus st as soon as I have room to have it sit next to my mustang in the garage. The car is amazing. I'm not new to high performance cars. Having worked at a dealership and being able to drive cars home and owned fast cars for extended periods of time, I've driven ferraris, Lamborghinis, cámaros, mustangs, corvettes, Porsches, sti's, golf r, mclaren, Nissan GT-R, M bmws like M5, M3, AMG Mercedes, RS audis , SRT cars. To make short I've driven the best of the best. The focus st has amazing steering and steering feel. Supercar like. I haven't driven a car with better steering even a supercar as good but not better. Anyone with a budget who needs 4 doors, trunk space, MPG, hp, reliability should buy this car! The car has plenty of power! And add just a couple upgrades and this car will have 400 torque. More that some v8's. A hatch rocket that gets 32 mpg!! AWD wrx or golf r not always the best. AWD gets worse gas mpg. I drove this car through snowstorms in Buffalo and New England winters. Snow tires and you're all set. What makes this car better than all the cars I've mentioned is that it's a car you can enjoy! You can floor it and take turns fast. Straight line acceleration is very good too. Lots of torque!! Very easy to drive in town. Push a supercar to the limits on the street and you will go to jail. Even the 435 hp mustang gt that I currently own has too much power that I never use. The focus st is the most fun car I've ever driven. This car is super tossable and corners like it's on rails!! When I want to relax it drives like a regular car. I know some people don't buy it because it's a manual but it's European based build in Germany. In Europe they still sell more manuals than autos. Manuals are less costly in the long run! You can run a stock focus st at the racetrack all day without the car even flinching. The quality is very impressive. The best steering I've ever seen and felt. It's a recaro of course. Very easy to drive and very quiet stock. Very easy to park and find parking. I added a flowmaster Super 10 muffler and it really woke up the car. I recommend it only if you don't mind a louder exhaust note. No rattles after a year. Brakes barely wore. Tires plenty of thread. The eagle f1's are amazing. Nothing but oil changes, tire rotations. If you buy a focus st make sure you put a sticky tire during the summer so the car sticks like glue and you can enjoy it to its full potential. The car is very fuel efficient. I would take it out for joy rides for an hour on backroads now and then and it would barely use any gas. I do recommend an intercooler because the car heatsoaks after a couple pulls. The only other ISSUE WITH THIS CAR IS CARBON BUILD UP!! CARBON BUILD UP ON THE VALVES SINCE ITS DIRECT INJECTED. MY VALVES WERE DIRTY AFTER 20,000 MILES. If ignored car will shutter at cold start up and can cause an engine light due to misfire like it happened to me once. Once cleaned it runs like new. Plan to have the valves clean every 20,000 miles or you can use valve cleaner from an auto parts store. Common issue with the direct injected ecoboost. Ford has no approved procedure so the dealership will most likely not touch the car and will want to replace the whole cylinder head which is completely unnecessary. Has to be take to an independent shop that knows how to do the process. Just google intake valve cleaning in your area. Most commonly you will run into a shop that does it regularly on some audis and bmw's. Don't shy way from the car because of this. It happens to any direct injected engine like some audis bmw's, Hyundai, Volkswagen, ford, chevy. Car has nice stereo, Bluetooth, keyless entry, push start, HILL START!! WILL HELP IF YOURE WORRIED ABOUT A MANUAL ON HILLS. Computer will hold rear brakes while you release the clutch so the car doesn't move backwards. Awesome feature!!! Very fun car to drive. Soft clutch. Manual so much fun. Drove it cross country twice!! No problems. Just watch your speed on the highway because this car was build for high speeds on the autobahn since it's based for Europe and you find yourself cruising at 85-100 mph without noticing. The suspension might be a little rough for some people but it's what makes that car handle like a race car! I don't doubt that you can easily put 300,000 miles on this car plus it's a ford at the end of the day. You can find parts everywhere and cheap to maintain. Buy this car. You won't regret it.

Fun, Value, Economy - It's tough to beat

Daniel L., 11/09/2015
4dr Hatchback (2.0L 4cyl Turbo 6M)

I purchased a Certified Pre-Owned ST3 roughly two months ago. With about 1200 miles into driving it, my overall impression of this car is that it is fantastic! Here are a few pros and cons in my own experience: Pros: -Great acceleration -Decent fuel economy for this type of car (I'm averaging 23-24 mpg with mostly city driving) -Great sound on Sony Premium Radio -Bright headlights that turn as you turn -Good amount of cargo capacity, especially with the rear seats folded down -Slightly stiff, but still very comfortable, sporty ride -Many reviews don't think the Recaros are comfortable, but I found myself used to them after one day of driving. They've definitely broken in. Cons: -Very limited on interior storage. There are only a small side pocket, a small center console, and a place for keys below the radio. -It can be difficult to get in and out of the Recaro seats. I often have to slide my chair back when getting out. -The navigation menus can be difficult and frustrating to navigate, even using the voice commands. -Rear headrests need to be removed to fold the seats down flat (or you have to slide your front seats way up) Overall, this vehicle has provided exactly what I was looking for: a daily commuter that is tons of fun and affordable. My initial want was a WRX, but I just couldn't pass up the value that this vehicle provides. I hope this review helps you in your car search!

This is not your daddy's Focus

reifelman, 05/31/2015
4dr Hatchback (2.0L 4cyl Turbo 6M)

This is the third Focus we've had in my household and let me tell you this car is fast, fun and a joy to own. It is so unlike my previous Foci that I have taken the Focus badge off of the rear hatch, leaving only the distinctive ST badges front and rear. The car is in its element sticking in winding corners and wide open throttle accelleration. It is so much fun you may forget the practicality of the 4 door hatchback with room for 4 adults and fold down rear seating for more cargo. A final selling point for me is the offer of free track day at Miller Motorsport park in Tooele, UT where you are allowed to take one of their ST Octane Academy Focus ST and Fiesta STs out on two track. Since writing the above, I attended the ST Octane Academy. What a great time Ford has really nailed it!😂

This is a Focus... Well... No... This is an ST.

Nick Johnson, 10/22/2015
4dr Hatchback (2.0L 4cyl Turbo 6M)

Upon looking for the Ford ST, I opted for one with everything loaded. This car had to be the ultimate daily driver car. The Ultimate daily for me is a car that ticks all the right boxes. Is it fast... YES!!. Is it comfortable to drive.... YES!!! Is it reliable.... So far, YES. You're probably wondering why I'm not calling it a focus. In all honesty, this car does not remind me of a focus, sure it shares the same platform, has the same interior... almost. But the moment you sit in the car, the moment you drive the car, it does little to remind you it's a normal focus with all the low end torque and the pull of the steering wheel as you let it loose, yet at the same time it can feel like a well behaved commuter car on a day to day basis. The 6 speed manual is very easy to use and doesn't feel uncomfortable or tiring to use in heavy traffic. The full leather Recaro seats hug you in and provide a nice adjustable lumbar support feature, long road trips don't feel uncomfortable after a few hours. It is such a wonderful every day experience. The once your commute is done, bring this car to a twisty road or long straight away and let it loose, and this car will no doubt put a smile on your face. The great thing about this car, a company called Mountune provides warranty friendly upgrades to your car, You can upgrade your shifter, put in a better intake, exhaust, and intercooler and have it tuned with the Mountune access port and is covered with its own 3 year 36000 mile warranty without affected your cars current base or extended warranty. My only issue with this car is the fit and finish of the car, everything from paint defects to, fenders and clips for the bumpers and side skirts not holding together properly. The poorly designed premium sony audio system with a stupid volume leveler for when parts of the songs get too loud? or the poor XM radio quality. Those are the only issues I've really had and to be honest, when I have the pedal mashed to the floor hearing that turbo spool up as 252hp comes screaming through the front tires, I can live with it.

Feels like a go-kart for the road

dark_knight_st, 01/23/2015
4dr Hatchback (2.0L 4cyl Turbo 6M)

This car is so fun to drive! The ST hugs the road and stays flat through fast tight turns. The torque is amazing. You can feel the pull pretty much in any gear. There's definitely torque steer, but it feels kinda fun. Just make sure to hold on tight whenever you floor it! I used to ride an R6 and in some ways the ST reminds me of how that feels!

I expected a lot more out of this hottest hatch

Rob Edmunds Williams, 09/12/2018
4dr Hatchback (2.0L 4cyl Turbo 6M)

Within two years of the original sale the AC had failed and the heater core was leaking. I'd have better luck selling used dairy products door to door than selling this car as a pre-owned item. It depreciated faster than any other new car I've ever purchased. In addition to the fanboi base that this car is popular with, it's price/performance puts it in reach of new empty nesters looking for a useful yet sporty car with reasonable mileage. Face it, trying to get your hands on a modern performance sedan with a sunroof and a manual transmission isn't the easiest of tasks, and that said, this car seemed like a great option. Meh, not so much. Let's compare it to the MKV GTi it replaced; mileage was easily 7-10 MPG less, storage space was much less thanks to a small, oddly shaped rear hatch/lower roofline and the rear seats don't coming close to laying flat. Torque steer during acceleration was a nightmare and a prime reason why I ditched this thing. It was unsafe in the extreme. The GTi had about the same HP and it was a dream to throw around a twisty road or track, never feeling like it wanted to kill us. The interior layout was just confusing and busy instead of intuitive and easy to look at. I fit in the seat fine, but anyone who isn't athletic felt like they were being wedged in. In the end, twitchy power delivery does not equate to handling, and a hatchback does not guarantee useful space. I hope the next owner can afford getting the AC and heater core fixed. EDIT: Edmunds asked me to update the review and I did.

Focus ST purchase

Aron Eaker, 07/19/2017
4dr Hatchback (2.0L 4cyl Turbo 6M)

Don't overpay for a used one. These can be picked up fully loaded for 28,000 or less. At that price it is a deal. Car is very comfortable and very fast for a small Hatchback. The turbo is a lot of fun.

51050