Used 2009 Dodge Caliber Consumer Reviews - 56 Car Reviews | Edmunds

2009 Dodge Caliber Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Caliber model:

There’s only one problem.......
By Bob

2009 Dodge Caliber SXT 4dr Wagon (1.8L 4cyl 5M)

Bought my 2009 Dodge caliper sxt around winter of 2017. Loved it when I bought it, couple stains on the interior but nothing to bad, could have some more comfortable everything on the inside haha, biggest complaint I would have to say is the transmission(keep reading) I drove to Saginaw mi and about 40 min into driving my transmission over heat came on( horrible trip cuz of this) made it home and thought I was screwed, so I talked to a friend and he is GREAT I bought a transmission cooler for about $37 on eBay and bought new transmission fluid and had my buddy to all of this, well it was around $450. I ended up driving to Lansing which is about hr and 30 min drive and IT WORKED GREAT!!!! I had absolutely no issues there or back. Was so happy and I recently took a trip to Sandusky Ohio (2hr 30min drive) NO problems again. If you have this same issue PLEASE!!!! PLEASEEEE! Give this a try it worked wonders for me and I’ve seen NOTHING online about this “fix” I have currently 124,000 miles on my car and it happened around 121,000.

Suprised it's still running after 140k miles
By Micheal

2009 Dodge Caliber SXT 4dr Wagon (1.8L 4cyl 5M)

Worst car I've ever bought. The Transmission has no problem overheating in the mountains or on the highway after about an hour of driving, but I do not have this problem in the city. The acceleration is terrible, you have to punch it all the way to redline and hold it for about 7 seconds to reach 65 Mph. It's loud, whether it's creaky suspension, extreme wind noise on the highway, the weird scream that it makes when you accelerate (No, not the engine sound), or just the poor sound insulation that this car seems to have. The steering is super loose, especially on the highway. You will feel EVERY bump, no matter how small, in the road. The car leans hard around corners. At 115k miles we had to replace the subframe, as it was so rusty that holes the size of a fist were formed, though that was covered by a recall. Had to replace the alternator 3 times, all 4 wheel bearings twice, and had a very expensive transmission servicing at 120k miles. You will have to drive this car very hard to get it to go anywhere, and unfortunately, that's exactly what it can't do.

Don’t buy it
By Jenna

2009 Dodge Caliber R/T 4dr Wagon (2.4L 4cyl 5M)

Things went downhill after 60k. I can count on taking the car to the shop twice a year for fuel system problems. The engine is too heavy for the suspension, and the car is a money pit. Just walk away from this one.

Bad Buy
By Lakrisha Davidson

2009 Dodge Caliber SXT 4dr Wagon (1.8L 4cyl 5M)

I bought my Caliber used in 2016 and it was a total lemon. The dealer was a complete scam artist. My car had no horn, bad brakes and struts, and stained ceilings and seats. I regret the decision to buy that car still to this day. My car was constantly in the shop. I put my car in the shop a day later from me buying it and it cost me $700 to get it out. Then I had to get the brakes changed which cost me $900 the first time and had to take it about 2 more times. I had to get the things that help the belt move changed and once when I was driving on the highway the front hood popped open. My A/C never worked fully plus it sucked up all the gas. My check engine light was on when i first bought it for a electrical problem no one could fix. My wires were wrapped in duct tape. My heater never worked so I froze during the winter. The only pro to this car was the trunk was spacious and the back seats let down.

Review of 2009 after 107K miles
By The Baumgardners

2009 Dodge Caliber SXT 4dr Wagon (1.8L 4cyl 5M)

We bought this car new from a dealer in Maryland. My husband used it to commute long distances to work. When it hit 70K, we bought a new car and I used the Caliber for my work commute. We have had NO problems with this car. The car I had before was a Saab, and this Caliber ran so much better. We're getting ready to sell it now as we have 4 vehicles parked out front. I would have no apprehension about driving this another 50K OR more.