Used 2001 Chrysler PT Cruiser Consumer Reviews - 154 Car Reviews | Edmunds

2001 Chrysler PT Cruiser Consumer Reviews

Base 2.4L 4-cyl. 5-speed Manual - (154 reviews )

Love my PT Cruiser after 17 years
By Sharon

2001 Chrysler PT Cruiser 4dr Wagon (2.4L 4cyl 5M)

Got my 2001 PT in June '01. Have loved it to this day, over 17 years later. 60,000 miles on it and mechanical problems. I love the style, the higher seating and the cargo space. It has been a dream. Only down side is, my husband decided it would be a good idea to put in dual exhausts. Which is nice as it improves performance and sounds like a hot rod. But it does mean I need to have the radio louder to hear. Am looking to replace now only because the AC has went out.

Great Second Car
By Rod Grodt

2001 Chrysler PT Cruiser 4dr Wagon (2.4L 4cyl 5M)

We bought our Cruiser Limited as part of an estate sale for $1,500. It had just 131,000 miles on it. The car had been hit on the left side, so that door is not from a limited. When they replaced it, they put manual (toggle control) mirrors on it which I replaced. We can't seem to get a remote to program, but are content to unlock the passenger door and use the electric lock function to open the doors. The car's only problem since we purchased it is a sticky ignition that sometimes locks up. Other than that, no problems. The car is comfortable and performs reasonably with the 4OD transmission. There is a ton of cargo space and the interior configurations are amazing. It's great around town and great on the highway, cruising nicely at 70-75. It's tight and there is virtually no wind noise. We bought it as a second car, but it's more fun to drive than our new one. It was Motor Trend's Car of the Year in 2001 and I can understand why.

Glad to see it go to the boneyard....!!
By Kyle Walsh

2001 Chrysler PT Cruiser 4dr Wagon (2.4L 4cyl 5M)

This car has been nothing but trouble and frequent costly repair bills....A blown head gasket was the straw that broke the camels back.......NEVER AGAIN....!!

Love this car
By elsa anzalone

2001 Chrysler PT Cruiser 4dr Wagon (2.4L 4cyl 5M)

I bought my 2001 PT Cruiser in 2003 with 36K miles. I love the sunroof and the shelf in the back. It was always fun to drive and while Chrysler was not known for reliability, I didn't think I had a lot of problems because I am attentive to maintenance. I have had my car for 13 years and gone from 36k miles to 172k and STILL love it.

Most versatile car ever
By Ed

2001 Chrysler PT Cruiser 4dr Wagon (2.4L 4cyl 5M)

Tremendous interior room and cargo hauling. High seating possition. Easy to drive. Love the styling. Nothing like it on the market.

I have reluctantly sold the Cruiser after 16 years and 160,000 miles. Its replacement, Elantra GT, is just not the same. I still get heart throbs when I see a Cruiser on the road.