Used 2001 Chrysler PT Cruiser Consumer Reviews - 153 Car Reviews | Edmunds

2001 Chrysler PT Cruiser Consumer Reviews

Base 2.4L 4-cyl. 5-speed Manual - (153 reviews )

Great Second Car
By Rod Grodt

2001 Chrysler PT Cruiser 4dr Wagon (2.4L 4cyl 5M)

We bought our Cruiser Limited as part of an estate sale for $1,500. It had just 131,000 miles on it. The car had been hit on the left side, so that door is not from a limited. When they replaced it, they put manual (toggle control) mirrors on it which I replaced. We can't seem to get a remote to program, but are content to unlock the passenger door and use the electric lock function to open the doors. The car's only problem since we purchased it is a sticky ignition that sometimes locks up. Other than that, no problems. The car is comfortable and performs reasonably with the 4OD transmission. There is a ton of cargo space and the interior configurations are amazing. It's great around town and great on the highway, cruising nicely at 70-75. It's tight and there is virtually no wind noise. We bought it as a second car, but it's more fun to drive than our new one. It was Motor Trend's Car of the Year in 2001 and I can understand why.

Glad to see it go to the boneyard....!!
By Kyle Walsh

2001 Chrysler PT Cruiser 4dr Wagon (2.4L 4cyl 5M)

This car has been nothing but trouble and frequent costly repair bills....A blown head gasket was the straw that broke the camels back.......NEVER AGAIN....!!

Love this car
By elsa anzalone

2001 Chrysler PT Cruiser 4dr Wagon (2.4L 4cyl 5M)

I bought my 2001 PT Cruiser in 2003 with 36K miles. I love the sunroof and the shelf in the back. It was always fun to drive and while Chrysler was not known for reliability, I didn't think I had a lot of problems because I am attentive to maintenance. I have had my car for 13 years and gone from 36k miles to 172k and STILL love it.

Most versatile car ever
By Ed

2001 Chrysler PT Cruiser 4dr Wagon (2.4L 4cyl 5M)

Tremendous interior room and cargo hauling. High seating possition. Easy to drive. Love the styling. Nothing like it on the market.

I have reluctantly sold the Cruiser after 16 years and 160,000 miles. Its replacement, Elantra GT, is just not the same. I still get heart throbs when I see a Cruiser on the road.

The design is poor, not a good snow car
By Kimberly

2001 Chrysler PT Cruiser 4dr Wagon (2.4L 4cyl 5M)

My ex got this car used, at about 100k miles, for around $4k. From the beginning, I noticed that it seemed to have very poor suspension, and within a short time period the control rod and the tie rod ends started to fail on it.

The car is now at 143k miles, and while the engine in it is still excellent and in good shape, the real Achilles heel of this car was its design. It was made for looks, and for mild climates; it's not made to last.

The giant rear end on it seems to have proved too much for the frame design. The control rods went out twice over the 43k miles we had it: the suspension and ride were terrible, like a crackerbox really, and now that I'm dispensing with the car, the ball joints have failed, the tie rod ends (again), the CV joints have failed, all in the back of the car. Once it gets older, a bumpy road can cause steering to be tricky. The steering often pulled to one side, and the electrical system was also glitchy, failing several times in the rain, along with dead brake lights from time to time.

I really don't recommend this for snowy climates. It's very bad in the snow; there isn't much clearance under the front bumper and it had a tendency to get stuck pretty easily. The high profile didn't handle wind well.

As others have mentioned, the rims had a constant tendency to peel, and the tires lost air constantly.

On the upside, it had good gas mileage and it never did break down completely on me. It was a dogged car, a good engine in a poorly made body, and if you're a car type in a warm climate who has the time and inclination to fix its little foibles I'm sure it might even be a good deal. The engine is still just cherry in it, it goes at a nice clip once it gets going. I don't hate this car, but it's been very expensive and troublesome mostly due to the frame, electrical and tire issues.