Used 2002 Chevrolet Silverado 1500HD Consumer Reviews

List Price Estimate

Used Silverado 1500HD for Sale
None for sale nearby. Instead:

Pros
Cons

2002 1500HD 4WD LT SB

Long-time owner, 05/18/2010
4dr Crew Cab LT 4WD SB (6.0L 8cyl 4A)

Have hauled 2 pallets (>5000#) of paving stones without a sweat. Towing package made it easy to tow a dual axle trailer with a big bobcat. Locking differential and auto 4WD make it fun and safe in the snow but a bit tough to turn sharply on dry pavement. Terrific heater and A/C. Crew cab and step bars make it easy to accommodate 4 large adults. Comfortable seats and ride. The black leather interior is durable and easy to clean, although prone to creasing over the long term. 15 MPG highway and 9-11 MPG city over the last eight years.

02 chevy silvarado 1500hd

dyork920, 05/23/2011
4dr Crew Cab LS 4WD SB (6.0L 8cyl 4A)

my dad purchased this truck new in 01 we have had this truck for 10 years of camper haulin, car towin, and daily driving. this truck has 111,000 mi and hasent had a single issue yet. the motor is "bullet proof" and runs like it did back in 02. i there is no need for the amount of power this thing has. I live in new hampshire and the winters are hard up here on vehicles but the truck has showen no singns of rust besides the rear bumper that completly rotted away last year but was cheap to replace. for 10 years of muddy dirt roads and salty hyways this truck has stood up beter than any vehile iv ever owned.

What a GREAT truck

Jeff, 05/09/2010
4dr Crew Cab LS 4WD SB (6.0L 8cyl 4A)

I recently purchased this truck and I know from the test drive it was going to be a great truck and I'd recommend this truck to anyone. I've had several trucks in the past, Ford, Chevy and Dodges, and this truck outdoes them all. The outside look is great and I get compliments everywhere I go! I have the front bucket seats with the console in the middle, which offers plenty of storage space. It's very roomy inside and has a lot of head room. The back seat seems to me much larger than my '06 Silverado Crew Cab. The engine has more than enough giddy in it's step. Fuel economy isn't to bad, about 17 on the highway. My last 3 trucks were newer, but this one is by far the best!

It'll beat a Hemi

Chad PA., 02/09/2009
4dr Crew Cab LS 4WD SB (6.0L 8cyl 4A)

I've had many Dodge and Chevy trucks in the past. I must say this is the best. I'm used to driving 400+ horsepower muscle cars, and I would consider this a "Muscle Truck". I would give the performance a 20 if it would let me. I does well at everything from hauling to plowing snow. Mine has the famous tap at startup also, but it's normal. It rides, drives and handles great. I would recommend this truck to anyone who wants to say they have a real truck. The gas mileage is so so for me but what do you expect with a full size truck with a 6.0L powerhouse under the hood. With a little add ons like I have, "It'll beat a Hemi"

Darn Good Truck

BuiltChevyTough33, 05/21/2010
4dr Crew Cab LS 4WD SB (6.0L 8cyl 4A)

I bought this truck in February of last year. It had 142,000 miles on it. It now has 165,000 miles and is still running strong. I change the oil in it every 2,000 miles and I have yet to hear this "Knocking" sound that everyone else is talking about. Get lots of compliments about this truck and will keep it forever. Thanks Chevy for making one hell of a truck.

1500HD Crew

Mark Bucher, 02/18/2018
4dr Crew Cab LS 2WD SB (6.0L 8cyl 4A)

This has been the best truck I've ever owned. It's been from Alaska to Florida towing a 17' travel trailer. All over North Dakota, Minnesota, and Wisconsin pulling a 16.5' Lund Mr. Pike chasing walleyes. I now live in Missouri and am starting to think about trading it in or selling it. There is nothing this truck won't tow. Pulling my toys I've cruised at 75 MPH and never knew anything was behind me. Aside for routine maintenance, never had a problem with it.

What A Great Chevy 1500HD truck!!!!

Lee R, 02/19/2020
4dr Crew Cab LS 4WD SB (6.0L 8cyl 4A)

I bought this ‘02 new in ‘01. What a great truck! I haul wood, hunt, pull travel trailers, car hauler trailers and farm tractors. There is nothing this 6.0 liter can’t do. 225,000 miles later, the only thing I have replaced is the transfer case at 75k miles. Regular oil changes with Chevron Supreme 5w30 conventional oil. I think this truck, motor and transmission will continue to work for me. Got the 6.0 liter with 4:10 rear end. I get 14 to 15 mpg and I’m not complaining. This truck is great! Thank you Chevrolet.

Best truck I've owned

Randy, 01/25/2010
4dr Crew Cab LS 2WD SB (6.0L 8cyl 4A)

Bought this truck new in September 2001. Towed travel trailer thru 40 plus states and most of Canada. Developed the startup knock on first trip to Nova Scotia. Chevrolet gave me the 100K engine warranty. Still has the startup knock but obviously has not affected the engine. Replaced the spark plugs, alternator, battery and water pump. Still has original brakes, front and back. Recently developed the ABS brake light problem, apparently caused by a bad relay in the ABS module (not caused by bad body ground). ABS is still operational when ABS and Brake warning lights are on. Has had minor steering column rattle since new. dealer couldn't/wouldn't fix it. Otherwise, very happy with it.

Only a Chevy for the workin man

BOWTIE-ALLTHEWAY, 02/13/2008
4dr Crew Cab LS 2WD SB (6.0L 8cyl 4A)

I've only had my 1500 hd for a few months and have had only one thing go wrong at that is the 4L80-E trans.I have put just over 12000 miles on my truck and the trans is bad but not a big deal to me any way when you use a truck like you should your gona have stuff go bad but other than that this is the best chevy I've ever had (just so ya'll know this will be the 10th Chevy I have bought in five years and would not even think about geting a Ford or a Dodge)

Pleased Owner

R. Colonna, 02/13/2003
4dr Crew Cab LS 2WD SB (6.0L 8cyl 4A)

It's been a great truck. 25,000 miles in the first year and it hasn't been to the shop once. It hauls great. Does it ride a little rough? Sure, its an HD. Does it get great gas mileage? 14 MPG, not bad for having 3.73 rear end.

I Love my truck!

Ladyrider, 11/12/2007
4dr Crew Cab LS 4WD SB (6.0L 8cyl 4A)

I have owned this truck for three year's. I have kept my oil changed at every 3k mile's and have had no problems out of my Chevy! His name is Elija (yes, I name my vehicles) I put 105 miles a day on this truck and I feel very safe & confident in it. When purchased it had about 60k roughly and now I have right at 200k miles I don't doubt it won't last another 200K. I cannot stress enough to folks to keep their oil changed & hey I'm a Lady saying this. Thanks Chevy for a well built product that I am proud to drive Every day. I Love my truck LadyRider

Great truck

RP, 11/29/2007
4dr Crew Cab LS 4WD SB (6.0L 8cyl 4A)

Our 1500HD CC has been a great truck. It handles towing and large payloads without a problem. It is very roomy, and versatile with the rear seats. It is quite comfortable for a truck, but is still a truck (sometimes a little bouncy ride). My only complaints are that it can be difficult to park in small lots, and of course, it doesn't do great with fuel economy. Otherwise, I would recommend this truck to anyone.

Problems With Chevy 1500HD

Rodney Seigler, 09/15/2002
4dr Crew Cab LT 2WD SB (6.0L 8cyl 4A)

I have had transmissinon Problems. It does not want to go into Overdrive. With the higher RPM's not going into Overdrive it caused the heads to crack. This aloud oil to get into the coolet system. Also I have Problems with the AC not keeping coolet in it. So where there is a leak which has not been found.

nice truck

cheyterry, 05/17/2004
4dr Crew Cab LT 4WD SB (6.0L 8cyl 4A)

i like the heated seat and the memory but the mirriors needs a memory also

1500HD

HD, 03/14/2002
4dr Crew Cab LS 2WD SB (6.0L 8cyl 4A)

I rated the truck high because I like it. It may be lighter than the Heavy heavy dutys but it rides as good as my wifes $24.000.00 car. It's quite and runs good, with plenty of pep. The gas milage is around 13 intown and 16 on the highway. It sits as high as the 2500HD's and it looks good. But with a big truck your not going to get the milage like a small truck. But thats the price I'm willing to pay.

dont buy one

amesq2, 05/01/2002
4dr Crew Cab LT 4WD SB (6.0L 8cyl 4A)

hello i bought one from a dealer in irvine california, at first i was real happy with my truck, then about 5000 miles my engine started to nock in the morning for a couple of minutes. know i have around 12000 miles and it is getting worse. took it back to the dealer and they tried to tell my that they didnt hear anything that wasnt normal, i almost lost it. i took the manager to my truck and mad him change my ivoice to say they cant fix it. he tried to tell me that all the trucks are having this problem and there will be a fix for it around aug.2002. luckly i live in california and we have a lemon law. im in the process to have the dealer buy back my truck.

Satisfied Bowtie Owner

wyccheatham, 04/11/2002
4dr Crew Cab LT 4WD SB (6.0L 8cyl 4A)

6 months and 5K miles later no major c/o. Happy from day 1 (low/no pressure sales pitch) to now. Mine is loaded and is more comfortable, and has more features than my wife's Mercedes E-320 (no exaggeration). Definitely a "gentleman's" truck. Wouldn't get it to work on the farm (to many accessory features that would have the potential to break). But as far as towing ability (boat) and driveablility couldn't imagine a finer ride. Has the auto-temp control, which the 2500 lacks, which is a big plus on road trips (no constant knob turning). Didn't think any other truck matched this one, and still believe that.

1500 HD

jim 87, 04/15/2002

Most Leg room/space for a Four door Pickup,

Work/Family truck

jeyman, 05/04/2002
4dr Crew Cab LS 4WD SB (6.0L 8cyl 4A)

I was ready to buy this truck when I saw the prototype two years ago. It is great for work and fantistac for the family. My wife has a Nissan Quest and now we get to get a Passat because the truck will double for a family hauler when needed. I had a 1999 Silverado before this one and this is a much better built truck.

MY 2500HD

leroy, 06/20/2002
4dr Crew Cab LT 4WD SB (6.0L 8cyl 4A)

great vehicle, fun to drive

It's been great so far

H2YAMYK, 11/27/2002
4dr Crew Cab LS 2WD SB (6.0L 8cyl 4A)

Only about 8K on the clock, but no real problems yet. A few times now, the A/C blows warm for some reason but it's rare. There is some valve noise with this engine that some one else here is concerned about. I believe it to be normal. Some engines make more noise than others. Power is fantastic. Ride is decent. Pretty bumpy on these L.A. freeways, but the towing/hauling capacity beats Fords flat out. I compared to F250 and this 1500HD is superior in just about every way in terms of utility. Comparing this truck to the F150 4-door was a no brainer - The F150 5 foot bed was a big deterrent as I use this truck for motorcycles, etc.

I DO NOT LIKE THE ENGINE

lwidg, 12/01/2002
4dr Crew Cab LS 2WD SB (6.0L 8cyl 4A)

THE TRUCK ENGINE HAS A VIBRATION THEY CANT OR WILL NOT GET OUT. FOR THAT REASON I AM DISATISFIED.

In Love with Our Truck

cdbaran, 07/25/2003
4dr Crew Cab LT 4WD SB (6.0L 8cyl 4A)

From the get-go my boyfriend and I have been thrilled with this truck. The initial purchase (over the phone-sight unseen) to 20k/m later this truck has exceeded our expectations. Mechanically nothing has gone wrong, though we are fenatics about maintenance. Don't get me wrong, this truck does work (long road trips, boats and tons of SCUBA gear) and even then it is more comfortable than our other vehicle (Audi A6).

Pleased with purchase

lancelot91, 11/30/2003
4dr Crew Cab LS 2WD SB (6.0L 8cyl 4A)

I have owned alot of chevy trucks and I must say this is the best one yet. Upgraded to the 1500 HD to pull 7300lb boat. Lots of power and great stance. Stable ride while pulling heavy loads long distances. Also has excellant braking with a firm pedal. Roomy interior and friends enjoy the rear console and cup holders. Can't complain. Will definitly trade for another one in the future.

4 Dr LT 4WD Crew Cab SB HD

dakota_tech, 01/04/2004
4dr Crew Cab LT 4WD SB (6.0L 8cyl 4A)

This is a lot of truck but it does have its flaws. Given there is limited availability for full four door trucks from GM this is the best option besides an Avalanche. Overall the truck is a joy to drive with “plenty of power”. The interior is awesome with as many features as a luxury car. The only complaint is the tapping in the engine. This noise Called "piston slap" usually is only noticeable for the first 30 sec to a minute until the engine warms. I have an 84 Ford F150 with 177K miles with the same problem, knocks when it starts then quits. Every mechanic I talk to says engine tapping is just part of owning a Chevy.

Solid Truck

John Pyatt, 01/08/2004
4dr Crew Cab LS 4WD SB (6.0L 8cyl 4A)

Very happy with the truck. The 1500 HD is a perfect transition truck although I'm not sure why they didn't just call it a 2500 (non-HD) crew cab as it has all the ratings and capacity of a standard 2500. Has a lot of common sense type features and have had many compliments on it. Only partly negative thing I'd say is that it just doesn't stand as tall as the Fords and Dodge trucks, although that is merely for looks and serves no practical purpose other than appearing its bigger or stronger than it is. In a drag race, this truck is no slouch and the Ford and Dodge commercials are obviously biased.

Bad brake system

zarb, 08/03/2004
4dr Crew Cab LS 4WD SB (6.0L 8cyl 4A)

Good truck except for the brake system,and u-joints. Brakes in rear rusted so badly could not be turned down, was told it was common problem and very costly. Not good for a one year old truck. ,

The Gentlemans Pickup Truck

Lt.Worf, 11/15/2004
4dr Crew Cab LT 4WD SB (6.0L 8cyl 4A)

The thing is a joy to drive ,oh and the power! Plenty of creature comforts for a big man of six feet four, 260lbs. Only thing missing is sunroof and cab lights. Dont particularly care for engine tick upon startup which soon goes away. Raise the sagging front end an get wider wheels. Get OnStar prices of cell phone more competive. Also mirrors need to adjust with auto seat settings. Otherwise I love it.

Best Truck I Have Owned

bw10_us, 11/02/2006
4dr Crew Cab LS 4WD SB (6.0L 8cyl 4A)

These trucks have a lot of great features for a 1/2 ton series truck. I used to be a Ford guy but these HD trucks are just a great all around package as far as styling. And as an engine rebuilder the 6.0L engine is by far the best in its class. There are more appealing trucks out there, but if you are looking for a bulletproof workhorse look no farther then the 1500HD!

2002 Chevy 1500

curtis, 07/31/2007
4dr Crew Cab LS 4WD SB (6.0L 8cyl 4A)

I really enjoy this truck. Have hauled 3800 lbs of stone in bed which made ride real smooth, hauled it with no problem. The ride is great and the features are nice also. I must agree with others reviews I have also had the ac blow warm air from time to time, for no apparent reason, dealer found no problem. I have also has what one review said as a pecking noise also. We really like the truck overall the biggest problem is gas mileage

Engine noise

cortner, 06/23/2003
4dr Crew Cab LT 4WD SB (6.0L 8cyl 4A)

I have been happy with the truck itself, but not with the engine. At 20000 KM, the engine started to knock. The dealer says it is 'normal' and refuses to deal with the issue. Idling smoothness and mileage have also been affected. I caution anyone buying a Chev truck to do so only if the engine has an extended warranty.

Satisfied Owner

FWA, 03/17/2002
4dr Crew Cab LS 4WD SB (6.0L 8cyl 4A)

Just passed 6,000 miles. CD player was DOA, fixed without much inconvienence. Lots of power. Got 14 MPG on long trip with no hills - OK I guess, after all this is no econobox. Comfy & roomy back seat - grown men comment on the comfort!

review

dapperdaniel, 04/12/2002

a good ride

First Time Chevy Owner

Rob_in_Texas, 05/07/2002
4dr Crew Cab LT 2WD SB (6.0L 8cyl 4A)

I shopped for a month comparing the Ford, Dodge and Chevy. I have always owned Ford but was very disappointed in Ford's decision to shorten the bed to 5ft. The Dodge was very nice, but has mechanical issues with their transmissions plus they want too much money for it. The Chevy was finally my choice. It is very roomy inside and all the features are nice. I don't understand Edmunds comments about the cheap interior plastic items and Consumer Reports rated the Silverado #2, behind the Toyota, but only real men drive real American trucks. ;-)

TRUCKS

MINNESOTA, 12/03/2002
4dr Crew Cab LS 4WD SB (6.0L 8cyl 4A)

LOVE THE TRUCK. LOVE CHEVY'S. NO COMPLAINTS HERE.

Slick

Hokie Okie, 01/23/2003
4dr Crew Cab LT 4WD SB (6.0L 8cyl 4A)

Never had a better ride.

great truck from a ford lover

RonJ30, 03/25/2003
4dr Crew Cab LS 4WD SB (6.0L 8cyl 4A)

great truck, carries a trailer awesome, four wheel works great, and i love the auto 4 wheel drive. I am a ford lover so getting this truck was hard to stomach but i am glad i did

Love my Chevy truck.

MarylandGirl, 01/29/2003
4dr Crew Cab LS 4WD SB (6.0L 8cyl 4A)

Liked the no pressure sales from Rogers chevrolet, they went out of their way to help find this truck. Good truck all around so far. A little awful on gas consumption, but with this area's 'fast' paced traffic, no wonder!

Heavy "D"

art, 03/31/2002
4dr Crew Cab LS 4WD SB (6.0L 8cyl 4A)

I waited 2 years for the Avalanche and when it finally hit the market it looked great, but was it practical for my needs as well as my wants? No. So I ended up with the Heavy "D". Almost identical to the Avalanche except for the plastic on the outside and the motor on the inside. The 1500HD comes standard w/ the 6.0L V8. Rides like a Cadillac. Powerful like a Corvette. Quiet inside.

What A Great Chevy 1500HD truck!!!!

Lee R, 02/19/2020