Used 2004 Chevrolet Silverado 1500 Consumer Reviews

Used Silverado 1500 for Sale
Select your model:
12345...6

Pros
Cons

287000 miles Minimal Issues

KB, 05/03/2018
4dr Extended Cab Work Truck Rwd LB (5.3L 8cyl 4A)

We purchased this used in 09 with 100k miles and it has been very reliable. The motor does not drink oil like the old 350 motor and the oil color has always been a bright yellow. The transmission was still smooth at 287k mi, a/c still worked fine. the following parts needed to be replaced:Fuel pump, brakes and rotors, spark plugs.

Almost the perfect truck

mobey, 06/05/2011

I bought my truck with 6 miles on the odometer in March 2004. It was recalled for the instrument panel. Very good experience there. While it was under warrenty, I had it in for new Cats and O2 sensors, three times, but never again since. The last warrenty items I had replaced were the comfort control switches. I now have 190,000 miles on the truck and, get this....I'm replacing the brake pads for the first time, and the rotors have very little wear. This is by far the best vehicle I've ever owned.

Z71 Bliss

Mark, 07/16/2010

My truck is a daily driver in the city but also a back road wonder on the weekends. In the winter I use four wheel drive for duck hunting with my sons in the country. It has been from Texas to California and many Colorado trips. It look good in the field, but when it is cleaned up it looks good under the city lights. Safe, dependable and a real pleasure. Maybe the best vehicle I have ever owned, out of maybe 11-12 cars and trucks.

Ad
Build Your Silverado 1500
Select Color:

2004 Silverado XCab 5.3 with Engine Issues

Sky, 08/20/2015
4dr Crew Cab LS Rwd SB (5.3L 8cyl 4A)

Bought truck new. Put the majority of miles on the truck between 2004-09; then, as planned, kept it as my 'chore' truck. 4-5k miles per year, max. Always light duty use. In 2013, at 79k miles the Head cracked - coolant in engine. $4500 repair. Dealer. There is a 'service bulletin' which implies a manufacturing defect, issued in 2006. CasTech Heads (see #06-06-01-019B bulletin). 1250 miles and 8 months later the 'check oil' light came on. The engine was 4-ish quarts low on oil! So I took it back to the dealer (I was working out of the area at the time so very little use). Their response? Can't find anything wrong; we must have forgotten to put the oil in the engine properly after the repair. Seriously? You told me that after a $4500 repair that your mechanic can't put oil in the engine? Bottom line: they didn't know and they weren't going to do anything. So I continued to drive it - very light duty. 20 months later with 84,600 miles: I check the oil (about 3800 miles since the 'top off at the dealer) and: down 3.15 qts! I take it directly back to the dealer. Dealer won't take responsibility AT ALL. I'm supposed to do an every 1000 mile 'oil consumption' test where I take it in for a top-off to see how much oil it has consumed. Not 1 mile over 1000 miles or start again! All this is to get GM to pay. The dealer assumes no liability for its work (and I might add, premium cost for the repair). Upshot: Be careful of these engines. There is a lot out there about oil consumption on these engines. This one DOES NOT have the 'stop cylinder' technology, but the engines have the same problem over multiple years. Plenty about the head and oil consumption out on the internet. In terms of the rest of the truck, its been ok, but the interior dash buzzes incessantly at certain RPMs. I noted on several of the trucks that interior fit was awful; fortunately I did not experience this. Paint is generally ok. No problems with the tranny, wheels, steering, AC - but it only has 84k miles. So much for buying a quality vehicle I could drive for 25 years (which was the plan).

No planned obsolescence here!

CheapDeep, 08/22/2017
4dr Extended Cab LS Rwd LB (5.3L 8cyl 4A)

It seems like we live in an age where everything is designed to wear out and be replaced. This truck is the only thing I can think of that is made to last. It has 200k and everything works perfectly. It also drives like it just left the showroom. The few rare times something does break, the part is usually cheap and easy to repair. I bought this as a work truck but I drive it more than my luxury car. The design is very simple. No fancy computers or dials that take three steps to change the radio or AC. Form definitely follows function which just doesn't happen anymore. I have to tip my hat to Chevy for designing something that will outlast everything else I own.

Cheap build quality

Nancy, 08/06/2008

I have always loved the Silverado but I have come to believe that they are getting more and more cheaply built. My last two Silverados have had the same airconditioner problem by the second year. My 2004 with 53000 miles just had the rear differential cover replaced because it rusted right through the middle. (And, this truck is kept garaged and underbody washed in the winter. It is'nt even my primary vehicle.) The metal used for the differential cover might as well have been aluminum foil. Not even a coat of protective paint. As I look at my 2004 compared to my 2002, I see a lot of cheaply done work and parts in the newer model. That's why my next truck will be a Toyota

Good 4x4

CP, 03/06/2010

I purchased used with 40,000 miles for the 4x4. I live in a semi-rural area and the roads don't get treated. I have the 5.3 V8, and G80 locker. For the two months I've driven, it has worked like a charm. Been using the AutoTrac 4x4 which is the button system that goes into 4WD Auto, which is AWD. Had to dig the wheels out a little when I drove into 3' high snow in my driveway. I rocked the truck back and forth a couple of times and was out. I get around 20 mpg on country roads and highway. I don't drive heavy footed, usually 65-75 hwy. Only thing that I find annoying is the wipers can't be lifted off the windshield when it snows, because of the hood design. Takes longer to clean the window.

Good Truck, but...

Matt, 02/03/2010

I purchased new in late 03. Has been a very good truck for me. About 1000 miles a year I would tow loads that are 75% of max according to the tech manual. No issues on engine or trans for 50k miles. In fact, it towed like a dream. At 53k miles I lost my transmission. No excessive driving or cliff jumping. It broke without warning coming out of a church parking lot and costs me $3k to replace the entire transmission. IMHO there’s no excuse for a transmission to break at 53k miles. Truck is out of warranty so the cost is on me. Chevy dealership says, “so sorry. What a rare oddity to lose a trans at 53k miles”. I’ll remember that at trade-in time.

04CLUNKER

pavermanter, 02/05/2004

overall i really like this truck, i am alongtime ford man. the only thing keeping this truck from being a "10" is the "CLUNKING" shifts that is so popular GM trys to say this is normal, but we all know that is bologna!! They really should stand behind their 29,000 dollar vehicles!

Former Ford Owner

Northwoods, 08/12/2004

I have previously owned 3 new Ford F- 150's. I was looking for a change. I went to the Toyota dealer to buy a Tundra. I was not impressed with the ride and comfort of the Toyota. I was on my way to buy another Ford. I passed a Chevy Dealership and took a test drive. I was very very impressed with the size and comfort of the Silverado. You can actually put people in the back seat. P.S. My wife loves it. Finally, I tow a 23 foot boat and this truck just eats up the hills. Great vehicle for work and comfort, the combination can't be beat.

90000k

madman350, 09/09/2008

This truck still has 1/4" brake shoes left (f+r), which includes towing tandem trailer daily for 1 1/2 yrs. No one I work with owns a more reliable truck even those that cost 40-50K$. I peg the tach almost every day, uses nearly no oil, mpg avgs. 16+ city with AC; 17-19 hwy; 10-12 towing. Interior is very comfortable and no pickup has a colder AC. Here in FL I never have to run the fan past "3" for more than a minute to chase out 100+heat. The x- cab still has a 6'6" bed, Dodge has 6'3" which isn't enough. Much better ride than Dodge, and way better interior instrumentation than XLT Ford. Engine compartment is roomy, allowing ease of maintenance. The bed is low allowing easy loading of very heavy items.

great truck

scubie, 05/18/2004

great for hauling, ext. cab good for child seat. comfortable to drive.

GM Excellence?

jdfosterdad, 10/09/2004

1. We had engine performance issues from the start. The computer was reflashed 3 times. 2. At about 45,000 the engine began to knock when first started in the morning which sounded like piston slap, at 75,000 it was getting hard to start and compression on 3 cylinders was measured at 70-75 pounds. The motor had to be replaced. Since the motor, the transmission has had to be replaced. 3. We had performance issues, engine problems because of a poorly designed pistons and transmission failure, all were asked to be addressed under warranty and promises were made and in the end ignored. 4. Would I by another Silverado? I,ve been a GM customer for 30 years and can safely say NOWAY!!!!!

Best purchase of the year

chris, 12/18/2007

Purchased this truck used with under 26000 miles. Great truck and plenty of room for me and the crew inside the cab. Traded in my 1979 Silverado and haven't looked back. These Chevys are built to last as my last truck was a testiment to that fact. The 04 drives like a car and handles like a dream. The 5.3 liters is more than enough power to pass the folks doing 75 MPH in the fast lane. The Bose stereo has lots of thump for the headbangers and air guitarist. Caution air guitar is not recommended while driving. If I could do it all over again I wouldn't change a thing except for not buying this truck sooner.

Perfect homeowner truck

Ozzy, 02/15/2009

Bought it new Jan 2004. At 60,0000 miles I bought the first set of tires and brakes. ]I get 15 mpg city, 18 mpg highway with 4.8 liter. ] The 4WD is great in the northeast. Truck cruises at 70mph feels like a sedan, yes, there is road noise, its a truck. Nothing replaced so far, did not have to bring it to the dealer once! If you need or want a truck, take a serious look at a GM.

What you need.....a good basic truck!

Coach K, 05/05/2009

I bought this truck used with 41K miles on it. I was looking for a small truck but at the price and what shape it was in I could not pass it up. I bought this when the gas spiked up so I got it for $7,000. The V6 is a little under powered but gets you moving. I commute 30 miles everyday to work and I have gotten it to average 20, not bad. I have had zero problems with it. I would say if you need a truck for weekend work and want something comfortable, easy to drive, then a basic 1500 is what you should look for.

Don't buy this truck

optimus1013, 12/30/2003

I bought this truck in Aug. I have had problems with lugging and am told it is normal by the dealership. Shift points are off. Dimmer lights have stopped working.I have had it in two times they still have yet to fix problem. If you want reliabilty and something you can be happy and proud of don't buy this truck. It is really junk.

Best Truck

Mikey2k01, 02/22/2004

This is the best truck I have ever owned.It has the bwst toughing of all the trucks I have had.It has the bwst toughing of all the trucks I have had.

ONE BAD ASS SS

Wayne P, 06/29/2004

Best vehicle ever made. It is definately the best vehicle I have ever owned. I look forward to the next opportunity to drive it. I have added dual exhaust with two flow masters on it. It sounds even better and of course the duals coming out the back look even better.

Not too sure

JayDub92480, 07/22/2004

I think I got a lemon. I have had it for only seven months and already had to replace the 4wd switch and e-brake sensor. I also have a rattle in the dash I can't get rid of. I am trading it in on a Toyota.

My first and last pickup...great!

Cliff Lawrence, 11/25/2018
4dr Extended Cab Work Truck Rwd LB (5.3L 8cyl 4A)

It's a great truck. Im 6ft 9in, 290, so room and extended cab is perfect. I got it with 166,000. And excellent condition. Well cared for. Came with worn out radio but I was going to replace anyway. I wanted a toy so Gibson headers and dual exhaust. Then cold air filter and WOW! it'll fly, and sounding good also. I rebuilt front end and new brakes but really premature. Nothing was wrong. I wanted a little more HP (no reason, just for fun), but mechanics said any more HP I'll probably need a upgrade transmission, but no problem now. All the upgrades increased gas mileage!!! Who knew. I've taken on new Ford trucks and 5.0 cars. They can't keep up. I want a Bully Dog tuner. Any suggestions?

chevys

wildmechanic69, 04/28/2004

the truck will pull but has hesitation off idle and when going down the road in passing gear @80 it sounds like lifters rattleing,holds weight pretty good though,if i had it to do over agin i wouldnt buy this over rated over priced vehicle again

Dependable

dependable, 09/30/2010

I bought this truck used. This truck has gone through hell and back. I have never had any major problems with it. Great truck for the northeast and the snow. For a truck it is not bad on gas. I get 16 in the city and up to 23 on the highway.

poor quality.

Marge, 02/15/2016
2dr Regular Cab Work Truck Rwd SB (4.3L 6cyl 5M)

Truck is not up to my standard for only having 107000 miles its being repaired to often. Traded in for a Ford!

one fast SS 1500

jimbwi139, 07/17/2003

this truck is great. handling is outstanding. fuel milage is a about 14.5 city 16.5 highway. having a great time driving the truck. im 36 years old and the young guys break their necks look at the outstanding black paint. had alot of great comments on the truck. looking forward to many years of fun

It Can't Get Better Than This!

Craw Daddy, 08/20/2003

This truck is a dream come true. It handles like a Caddy and gets about the same mileage as one. It is comfortable and it is good looking. That's all one man can ask for.

gmproductalert

BD, 09/04/2003

forward sprague gear failed at 54000mi,replaced transmision,$2280 cost.manufacturer refused financial assistance.this trans is too light for the vehichleit is in.GM has been aware of this for years and continues to use it.

Poorly built truck

Sean 2003, 12/10/2003

I have had this truck in the the shop 11 times. All for warranty issues. The service department has been excellant but the dealership has been awful to deal with.I suggest going to another company for a vechicle. Chevy hit there all time low on this one

1500 SS

chris delano, 04/15/2004

fast and smooth good handleing nice look eye turner powerful with fast reaction time

worktruck

brewbrother, 06/19/2004

Recently purchased a 2004 Silverado worktruck package. I use it for outside sales. Comfortable to drive. Im averaging 23 mpg which I consider good for a full size truck. The v-6 has good performance and great acceleration from 3 gear through 5.First seems to be geared a little low for avewrage driving. second is wound out at 40mph. Interior is roomy and instruments and controls are always at hand. Its quite a bit better than the dodge dakota I traded.

Great truck!

KoTToN, 09/15/2004

Great all around truck with a lot of muscle.

Silverado Clunker

LA Watts, 10/27/2004

This is a good looking vehicle but the constant clunking is very annoying. GM says that it is normal due to torque buildup between transmission and transfer case. They also say they have changed the transmission for 2005 model to eliminate the problem. They offer an extended warranty for free but I already have it. They sent an engineer out to drive it and he reported a definite problem but they still claim that it is normal. Why won't they stand behind their vehicle and repair the problem . Very unhappy with GM over this vehicle.

noisy and bad ride

mr. bill, 11/29/2004

has alot of wind noise, vibrations and there is a glunking in drive train when shifting up and down. dealer told me its normal for Z71 package terrible rides

FRUSTRATED

David Szymanski, 01/01/2005

In one year this vehicle has been to three different dealer's,a total of eight times for repair. The breaking is terrible, drastick loss of power at times, clunking and grinding in drive train,leather seat seams split. This from what is supposedly a 37,000.00 sticker price... somebody had a bad day!!

Worst Chevy Ever

shopbum, 10/13/2005

I have owned a lot of GM products over the years, and never have I disliked a truck as much as this one. It has been one problem after another. First the cowl was leaking into the cab, then the rear passenger windows would not deal, the the keyless entry locked me out on about 20 occasions...I could go on and on. Never again will I buy a GM after the worst time in my life.

TNT SS

Mark, 09/11/2006

This is a nice truck. Driving, handling, and towing ability is great. The AWD is a nice feature. If you tow a boat, getting out of the water with those steep ramps is easy. The truck has a great look. The gas mileage could be a little better, but compared to the 5.3 gas mileage, that's not bad for 50 more HP. There are not many SS out there, so if you want something that is real and draws attention, this is a great truck in all categories. Just for a few more grand, you will be satisfied. Test drive says it all. I own two SS, 1990 454SS and 2004 SS. Both trucks are excellent.

Excellent truck

Brian M, 06/11/2007

I have owned several Chevys over the years and I have yet to find a better truck out there. Design is good reliability is good and you can't beat the resale value on a 4WD Chevy truck. Overall it's a versatile, comfortable, reliable, American made vehicle.

Supercharged Sport Truck

SuperCharged Sport, 08/21/2007

I love to drive this truck! It has a Radix Magna Charger, Volant Cool Air Intake and an aftermarket MAF sensor. Needless to say it is very fast, pushing around 500 hp. Looks much better than the Ford and Dodge. It gets about 19 mpg on the highway and 15 in town, If you take it easy

Love My Truck

Doug from NC, 11/14/2007

My truck is my baby. It's ready for a night on the town or to help a friend move. It's never let me down and I feel safe and comfortable driving in rain or snow. The auto 4 wheel drive function is what gives me this feeling. 47000 trouble free miles and counting. My second Silverado and I will have it for the next 5 years at least.

Great for every day use

Steve, 05/20/2018
4dr Extended Cab LT 4WD SB (5.3L 8cyl 4A)

Great everyday truck. MPG average 15-17 hilly /mountain driving. Hard to tow heavy loaded trailer 7000lb up hills. 67000+ no major repairs required. Love this truck.

Best truck going

lwh2211, 10/12/2020
4dr Extended Cab LT Rwd LB (5.3L 8cyl 4A)

I have a 2004 Chevy Silverado LT extended cab 4 door and this has been the best truck I've ever owned. It's 16 years old, and rides and drives like a new one. It does have 214,000 miles on it and it's perfect. I have owned a few Cadillacs before but this truck has more luxuries in it than any of the Cadillacs I've had in the past. With a 5.3 Vortec V-8 it has plenty of power to pull a trailer, the engine is quiet, smooth, and runs clean. The interior: leather seats, heated both sides, electric, A/C, heat, Sirius XM radio, Bose system, heated mirrors, fold in mirrors, On Star, automatic light mirrors, signals on the mirrors, it's easy to work on. All around excellent truck to own. I HIGHLY recommend this truck!

chevy man

leroy Arnold, 07/02/2017
2dr Regular Cab LS Rwd SB (4.8L 8cyl 4A)

Maintain your cars

Bad Drivetrain with No Factory Support

badtruck, 12/01/2003

After 6000 miles the drivetrain started clunking loudly any time I drive backwards (in reverse). The clunk does not occur when I shift to reverse but clunks when I accelarate faster than normal. The clunk also occurs frequently when I accelarate hard and then let off the throttle. It sometimes occurs on 1st to 2nd upshifts or downshifts. I can feel the clunk in the floor and passengers ask me about it. This problem takes all of the joy out of owning this new truck. The dealer did the transmission reprogramming which did not correct the problem and they told me that I have to live with the problem. Many other owners are having the same problem.

lemon

todd vernon, 12/04/2003

i got this truck to replace my 2000 lt silv. z71 and in the 5 months i've had my 03 its been one biiiiig headache its been at the service center as much as its been in my garage.

Junk Lemon

William Wamhoff, 04/08/2004

111 miles took to dealer.Vehicle shakes in seat,no power,hard to stop,hard to get in 1st gear,hard to get out of 5th gear,truck whines when accelerating in 1st gear,rough idle,clicking noise from engine atidle,shift light comes on all the time,if you shifted by light you would be going 35mph in 5th gear,driveline clunks when shifting from 1st to 2nd gear.Dealer states nothing wrong with truck.DRIVES LIKE NEW.

Buyer beware!

Carnie, 10/04/2007

Bought this truck brand new off the lot. 3 1/2 years old and the cylinder head is faulty. $2000+ repair that GM has admitted they knew these cylinder heads were faulty, but they won't step up and help defray repair costs. Truck is starting to rust already and we've had the steering column replaced 2 times so far! I thought Chevy's were built to last?

2004 Z-71 Crew Cab

nomorechevy, 02/20/2006

Have had the truck at the dealership for a total of 15 days. We are on the 3rd steering shaft; it drives like a golf cart. Makes a popping noise when turning but only if it's over 70 degrees outside. Steering wheel squeaks when the turn signal is on.

this truck

pimprod, 10/08/2004

this truck is kind of fats but it could use some more horespower it is down on the competion it needs a supercharger and it need not to be a awd truck

Silverado SS

Maverikx99, 01/04/2009

The truck is definitely fun to drive and has lots of power. Drawbacks are terrible gas mileage (and premium) and noises from the AWD caused by bad assembly of the carrier.

Silverado is PERFECT

mountaineer11, 10/22/2003

The new Chevrolet Silverado's are among the most perfect truck on the planet. It's extremely fun to drive, and is the most reliable well built vehicle ever made. The K1500 is very powerful and very stylish. Ford nor Dodge have nothing on this line of trucks. No other even comes close.

12345...6