Used 2007 Chevrolet Malibu Maxx Consumer Reviews

List Price Estimate

Used Malibu Maxx for Sale
None for sale nearby. Instead:

Pros
Cons

To the MAXX

Cilia, 09/07/2006
LT 4dr Hatchback (3.5L 6cyl 4A)

I absolutly love this car. It is a great car for the family without taking out style. It has good gas mileage, and I can always rely on it. It's a pleasant suprise. It's a plesure to drive and to look at. It can seat four to five people. It also much better than any SUV!

Best car

aguzman, 11/21/2006
LT 4dr Hatchback (3.5L 6cyl 4A)

I drive my Maxx 120 miles a day and I enjoy it very much. It handles great, is comfortable, and I get 29 miles to a gallon. Has style and my coworkers really like it. Some of them have gotten themselves one also. A great unit. Wished more people would try it. They would love it like I do.

Great car

JP53202, 05/16/2007
LT 4dr Hatchback (3.5L 6cyl 4A)

First off, the auto press nit-picking about the steering, gruff engine and interior simply are not true. The electric steering is just fine, it adjusts to vehicle speed and there is all the feedback of a hydraulic unit. I notice no difference and I have driven a lot of cars in my life. As for the engine, it's just as quiet and smooth as the V6 in my mom's Lexus RX300. The interior, well, on the LT it's cloth, not leather, but it's just as swank as my work mate's Accord LX - it's workaday, no doubt, but for a mid-line interior it's got what the others do. This car also handles and brakes very well, too. Don't let the press fool you - this car is every bit the equal of it's Japanese competition.

Great Car!

nydogboy, 10/11/2012
LT 4dr Hatchback (3.5L 6cyl 4A)

97,000 miles later I've realized this is best car ever. The V-6 is quick, yet I get 31mpg at 74mph. A trip from NY to New Orleans and back netted 29.2 mpg and I admit to hitting 90mph a couple of times. Replaced front and rear brakes at 85k. Absolutely no problems. I live in Syracuse where 40% of the cars are rusted. My 6 year old Maxx has no rust. Get one! I will definitely get 200,000 miles from this car.

Perfect fit

bobby g, 12/31/2006
LT 4dr Hatchback (3.5L 6cyl 4A)

Very pleased and surpised about the handling and comfortable fit of the seats and placements of all of the controls. Felt like I had this car for years, even though my previous car was a large rear wheel drive, the Malibu took no time getting used to it.

Very good car in a dull package.

paul_jacob, 03/19/2012
LT 4dr Hatchback (3.5L 6cyl 4A)

I got this car out of necessity for a reliable, practical, and efficient car. It fits this build very well. The Maxx draws only a few looks from it's exterior, but to some, it is a rather good looking car (remember, we're not shopping for a coupe here). The interior is a bit bland, although everything is easy to use and functional. Interior quality will rival most competitors and is a big step up from the previous generation. Front seats are very comfortable although a bit flat, and rear leg room will beat much larger cars. I'm getting 30 mpg with about 80/20 highway/city. Driver feedback is minimal and leaves a lot to be desired. The 5 speed transmission is very good.

Problems already

Mike 123, 10/16/2008
LT 4dr Hatchback (3.5L 6cyl 4A)

I purchased this car used from a dealership, with 32k miles on it. I also own a 2005 Malibu sedan. I immediately noticed a clunking sound coming from the steering column when turning the wheel at low speeds. This is a sound I also noticed in my 2005 Malibu. I took it back to the dealer and they had to lubricate the intermediate shaft in the steering column. The shades to the sunroof also broke, so they ordered new ones for me as well. The car is comfortable, rides well and has good acceleration with the 3.5 liter V6. I don't understand how some people here are getting 29 mpg however, because I am getting about 18 mpg in mostly city driving. Disappointing mileage.

Perfect blend of practicality and value

hoss, 01/16/2008
LT 4dr Hatchback (3.5L 6cyl 4A)

I bought this dark red 'program car' as an ex-rental with ~10,000 miles on it in December '07. A certified used LT 2007 for $16,000. Great savings off of new and I don't particularly like the looks of the 2008. I love it so much more than the other cars I test drove (new foreign sub- compacts). Quality is on par and you get so much more for your money. Styling is great; mpg decent for V6 power; comfort; utilitarian design; safety features.

Great Car

Phil H, 06/24/2010
LT 4dr Hatchback (3.5L 6cyl 4A)

Bought it with 17,000 miles on it and have put another 60k on it. Great performer, 28-30 mpg in rural area, yet very peppy. Very versatile layout. Don't like rear skylights with curtains as the curtains sag since won't roll up tight. I also don't like the seats which are like a Saab with no lumbar support. Have only had to replace the outside mirror switch, but the fit and finish is only average.

But a better car.

buzzcut73, 09/19/2012
LT 4dr Hatchback (3.5L 6cyl 4A)

I have owned my Maxx since early 2008. I have had many problems with this car. The front end shakes violently when braking (I tried new pads, discs, tires, resurfacing, inspections...etc...) The Maxx has electrical issues with wipers, fuel caps, temp sensors, map sensors, security system, etc... I would recommend considering a different car. I am surprised this car received the accolades that it did, there seems to be no reason to own it.

Total garbage, run away!!!

stevenhmiller, 01/07/2011
LT 4dr Hatchback (3.5L 6cyl 4A)

Cheaply made and GM will not stand behind their product. Steering making bad clunking noise since about 9000 miles. Dealer claims cannot reproduce every time I brought it, which was at least 9 times. Once the warranty expired, suddenly they had no problem reproducing the issue. GM will not repair free of charge, even though I've been complaining about the issue for 3 years! Many others are complaining about the same issue with the same results. There were service bulletins for the 2004-2006 Maxx with the same problem. They refuse to issue one for the 2007. They're going to wait until someone is killed when the steering fails. Also, many other problems. FORGET THIS CAR, IT'S GARBAGE!!!

Lame-mobile

kmduym, 03/19/2011
LT 4dr Hatchback (3.5L 6cyl 4A)

My husband and I purchased this car just over a year ago. We should have kept shopping. This vehicle is incredibly boring. From the exterior, it looks promising as a cute, responsible hatchback from an American-made car company. We had visions of fuel economy cresting 30mpg. We have held consistent at 21mpg. I would understand the low mpg's if the 6-cylinder could actually haul -- but it drives like a dog. Furthermore, the handling is so poor, with an overbearing torque-steer that sends you into a.) oncoming traffic or b.) the ditch. Not worth the money. Boring to drive. Cheaply made (rreeaallllyy cheaply made). A true disappointment.

Another American Built Lemon

Lee, 10/28/2007
LT 4dr Hatchback (3.5L 6cyl 4A)

After driving foreign built vehicles for the last 18 years, I came across this car at $3000 below blue book and bought it. Had I bothered to check that this garbage can had depreciated $15000 in 3 years, I would have passed. But alas, I didn't, and now I have the pleasure of fixing all the KNOWN GM design problems in the steering column, brake rotors, steering rack, and struts. I have had 1960 era cars with better steering and suspension systems. Of course because GMC is an American company, it is based on greed and not customer care; they refuse to fix/recall any of these problems because not enough people have died in the car. I look forward to the day when I can unload this lemon!

First american car Chevy Malibu

ryanbowman77, 05/25/2011
LS Fleet 4dr Hatchback (3.5L 6cyl 4A)

I like the for getting me to school and it has been reliable since ibought it 4.5 months ago. My Mazda 6 would take anyday over the Malibu The outside is plane no nice lines and the interior look like a 3 year old drew it out

Still love it after 3+ years

susieQ, 05/05/2010
SS 4dr Hatchback (3.9L 6cyl 4A)

Found it on the dealer lot by accident. Didn't know this car was made. Perfect fit for me, love the adjustable pedals and dash lay out. Fog light knob could be easier to find. Hatch sometimes relocks before I get to it. Lots of back seat room for passengers. Lots of cargo space. Travel with 2 small dogs in a large kennel in the folded down rear space. I still have room to get in back and let them out of kennel with veh doors closed. Smooth ride, handles well. Backed out of a ditch using traction control; couldn't have done that with my other cars. I drive 60% highway 40% city ave. 25.8 highway; 21.5 in city. The SS has great pick up. Very sad it is not made any longer as I would buy it again!

Best Bang for the buck

jim, 02/17/2008
LT 4dr Hatchback (3.5L 6cyl 4A)

I bought this car while I was a salesman at the dealer. Knowing the whole product line, I knew the best value when I saw it. The car has been great. 33.9 mpg on a recent trip to Florida, great in snow. Best brakes I've ever had on a car, great power and economy, cavernous storage space, comfortable seating and great stereo. The rear roof window shades could have been designed better, and there is a noise in the front end over bumps, other than that, no complaints, I'd buy another one in a minute. I'm on the road a lot in sales, and since the maxx is no longer available, my next car will probably be an Impala LT with leather.

Good car with nice surprises

maxx lover, 09/06/2007
LTZ 4dr Hatchback (3.5L 6cyl 4A)

Love the car; chose it over small SUV's and have no regrets. Loads of standard elements like remote start and automatic headlights; hatchback can be reconfigured to haul about anything. Small drawback is the 20mpg mileage with the 6 cyl engine.

Sports-sedan

Manfred-J- Hinz, 11/01/2007
SS 4dr Hatchback (3.9L 6cyl 4A)

I replaced a 2004 Maxx with this 2007 Maxx SS. I was, and am, totally satisfied with the car. Finally a great eye-appealing sport sedan from GM and Chevy decides not to build this model for the 2008 Line-up. To limit production of this model to 3 years is questionable.

Great College Vehicle

Maxxd, 10/29/2007
LT 4dr Hatchback (3.5L 6cyl 4A)

The Malibu Maxx came out of no where while searching car lots, oddly enough it had every feature I wanted and for a very reasonable price. Don't believe the in-dash MPG rating, instead calculate it out yourself. I've found the computer is off by a large margin, including waiting at a light in the MPG calculation. I average (with city and highway) around 26-28 MPG. Great car for a college student like myself or a family just starting out.

Malibu LTZ

KM, 11/13/2007
LTZ 4dr Hatchback (3.5L 6cyl 4A)

Owned this car for over a year now. I had test driven the LS but the LTZ is a class above. I agreed with Edmunds (bland interior for the LS), but found the LTZ felt totally different. The leather wrapped steering felt much more comfortable, and the rest of interior did not feel cheap. Same with the wheels etc. I never read the manual much, so I keep finding new things in the car. When cleaning I found the audio volume control on the steering on the underside of other audio buttons. Recently I found out I could do tap-shift. I could not figure how to operate the +/- buttons earlier till I put the car in L coming downhill - it was so much fun!

Feeling mixed about the Maxx

HeatherBrooks, 11/17/2007
SS 4dr Hatchback (3.9L 6cyl 4A)

I fell for this car when I found it in the used section of the dealership over a year ago. The XM radio, the wood trim (although it's fake), the zippy way it drives, the dvd player, the two sun roofs... all so neat! But the Maxx has been plagued with problems - mainly electrical. And I have been driving for 10 years with no problems with blowing out the tires, but I have gone through 4 different tires on this car apparently due to my driving (I was driving trucks before). I'm not sure that I would buy this car again. I think I would go for a Honda or Toyota (sorry Detorit).

Great mid-size car

kagohio, 12/03/2007
LT 4dr Hatchback (3.5L 6cyl 4A)

I have had my Maxx for 6 months and put 15,000 miles on it due to my commute and the Maxxhas impressed me every one of those miles. The seats are comfortable, the ride is smooth and quiet and most of the controls are easy to reach and read. . . and the sterring wheel radio controls are great. Have not been to the garage except for 2 oil changes. The rear wiper is great in the rain and snow to keep clear view out the back.

Fantastic car

Diane123, 11/13/2020
LT 4dr Hatchback (3.5L 6cyl 4A)

I picked one of these up for 300$ it only had 190,000 miles and i had it for 6 years only needed manifold bolts and oil (the engine was bone dry) after that it ran and drove like new Sold it with 500,000 miles still running and driving Great car

Pretty and nice

Bianca Murrieta, 04/14/2021
LTZ 4dr Hatchback (3.5L 6cyl 4A)

2007 maxx LTZ. Iv had my car for about 5 months now. I bought it on offer up or marketplace and dispute that this is a great car. There's issues here and there but over all love it. I got mine in December 2020 and it only had 107,000 miles on it and I got it for 2,300. Great deal and my dog has his own little spot to himself in the hatchback trunk so he doesn't mess up my seats. It's perfect

51050