Skip to main content

3.8 out of 5 stars
71 reviews
1...

See Edmunds pricing data

Has Your Car's Value Changed?

Used car values are constantly changing. Edmunds lets you track your vehicle's value over time so you can decide when to sell or trade in.

Price history graph example
We have a limited number of reviews for the 2022 Encore GX, so we've included reviews for other years of the Encore GX since its last redesign.

Pros
Cons
5 out of 5 stars

Long term owner

Colorado Rural Dan, 08/05/2021
updated 02/09/2024
2021 Buick Encore GX Preferred 4dr SUV AWD (1.3L 3cyl Turbo 9A)

Know that this vehicle is better than the "professional" reviewers give it credit for. Incredible room up front. Very easy for this large Colorado, hat wearing cowboy, to get in and out of. My wife and I have no children at home so we are not concerned about back seat layout so I will not comment on that. Controls are intuitive, easy to use. Setting up my wife's apple and my android phone was a snap. The car comes with it's own hotspot which is really nice in Colorado where we often had no cell reception while driving. Though we repeatedly saw that mileage on the highway would be at best 30mpg out real life experience, so far, is 36mpg. We live very rural and so do little to no "city" driving. Was not looking to buy a new SUV when we found this but could not refuse the deal Buick offered. Our good fortune. It is NOT underpowered. The EncoreGX gets the job done! If you are in the market for a new small SUV, look at the EncoreGX. Ours is in "preferred" trim 4wd, and truly cannot see why I would spend the extra to go up a model. This has everything that we could want. Update: I have now had this vehicle for 10 months. The 4wd has worked well for this winter. Handling has been excellent I did replace the all seasons with snow tires. The hot spot was ok but did not work as well as I initially thought so did not pay for the subscription and let it lapse. The paint seems to chip easier than I think it should so I now have a bottle of touch up to use so that it does not become a problem. Would still rate this 4.5 stars. Would recommend and would buy again in the same situation. Update: Have now had for 1 year. Still love it. Now I see a reason for the upgrade and wish I had, as by now the extra money spent would seem inconsequential. I have the cloth seats, white. Would be much easier to keep clean if they were leather. I miss that it does not have the adaptive cruise control that keeps you spaced from the car ahead. I would still recommend to anyone wanting a small SUV. By the way, up here at 8,000 plus feet it gets over 40 mpg. I know it would not do that down at near sea level but is a nice thing anyway. 22000 miles now, year and a half in. Would still buy again, would recommend to a friend. Thought about upgrading to a 2023, however the Buick does not hold its value like my Subarus do so cancelled that idea. Update: Have now had for 38000 miles. No problems. As it has a turbo engine I change oil every 5000 miles to make sure the turbo charger is always running on clean oil. Has worked so far. If interest rates become reasonable again I will trade in for a new one. Would stick with the GX as I really like the way it handles in these mountain snows and I find it very comfortable to drive.

Preferred Sport Touring Package

RURALLVNV, 06/01/2022
2022 Buick Encore GX Preferred 4dr SUV (1.2L 3cyl Turbo CVT)

I got the 2022 encore gx preferred fwd with sport touring. Well worth the extra 3k to get the sport touring package. I am so far really enjoying this car. I use it mostly for short commute to work and every couple months will take it out of town. This is a perfect size for someone who is single or married with no children. But there is room in the back for small children so this could be a great starter suv for a young family first car. Loss of star for small cargo space although it is just fine for groceries or piece of luggage or some sports equipment. Back seats fold down with ease. This vehicle provides conservative luxury mixed with a little sporty look. First vehicle I have had that is not real leather and it doesn't bother me and I actually feel that is stays cooler on hot days and is just as comfortable and easier to clean. I can see taking this to play tennis or golf. Handles well on curves and with the option to shift into low and the plus and minus buttons on the side (which are very sturdy by the way) allow even better power going up hills. First time out on trip out of town I got about 24mpg average and that was mostly highway. Not sure how to get to 30mpg as advertised but still not bad on gas mileage at all. The tech interface is extremely user friendly. Fully automated driver seat. Full sun roof that is fully automatic as well. On Star option. Apple play. Great dashboard. Super fun to drive. Amazing turn radius. If you don't need a full size suv and don't want to compromise luxury, this is a great option. The price point seems to be on target and competes well with Honda and Subaru and Mazda and personally feel that the options in these and luxury factor make this a solid choice. I also like that very few parts are from China. The rest are out of Korea, United States, and Mexico. I was concerned when Buick phased out their large regal sedans but these are really nice and although they are small SUV they are more like large compacts. The passenger seat is super comfortable and the lumbar is a huge plus. To be able to get full size and automated moon roof, fully automatic driver seat with the lumbar, very good leg room, with superior tech interface and a ton of safety features, good gas mileage, and the reputation of Buick, a 30k price tag in 2022, is actually a really good deal. I can see purchasing this for college students, medical professionals, professional athletes, commuters, or even someone who is retired. They designed this for just about anyone really. Get the ST package. Yes the rear window provides limited visibility but I can still see just fine as there are side mirrors and its easy to look over shoulder if needed when changing lanes and visibility out back side windows is very good. The back up cam works great. There are settings on I use that tell me that there is a pedestrian, cruise control i like because accelerating or decelerating i can click it down and so the car does not jerk. Option to turn on or off the stop engine when coming to a stop. It will stay in stop engine for a few minutes and it goes off and on smoothly unlike the ford and dodge models I have been in. The lane assist works smoothly as well and if your set in cruise with lane assist, the car basically can drive itself. A little squirrley driving in heavy wind so definitely use the lane assist and other safety options. These vehicles with the 3cyl Turbo have amazing power. I prefer them now over my previous 6 banger engines.

To Me It's Best Sub Compact SUV For The Price

Zolman, 12/08/2020
2021 Buick Encore GX Essence 4dr SUV AWD (1.3L 3cyl Turbo 9A)

I've test driven all the sub compact SUV under $50,000. The Encore GX didn't have the raw power of some of the other brands BUT it had all I needed plus much better gas mileage. We just got done with a 650 mile road trip and averaged 38MPG. That's much better than the rating and all we did was drive speed limit. It's got enough power to merge into traffic and pass slow traffic on two lane roads. The interior is great and with all the refinements of the premium brands in its class. Granted it doesn't have real leather or 24 speakers, but I don't need that. What I really liked is the moon and combined sun roof, camera system and the safety features. No other SUV in it's class came close. And some of the pro evaluator's said there was cabin road noise ??? I listen to the radio when I drive.

I love my GX

Happy Owner, 11/15/2020
2021 Buick Encore GX Select 4dr SUV AWD (1.3L 3cyl Turbo 9A)

So I am not an automotive aficionado, I am an average middle-class consumer. I have read reports of “sloppy steering”, awkward displays, etc., and I have experienced none of that. It’s a great looking little SUV that you can park almost anywhere. I have the 1.3 liter turbo and it’s a lot peppier than my previous Encore’s 1.4L engine. For the price, I just don’t know how you can beat it. I would buy it again without hesitation.

Amazing Subcompact

Dee, 04/20/2022
2022 Buick Encore GX Essence 4dr SUV AWD (1.3L 3cyl Turbo 9A)

Great ride, loaded with features, dependable. Lots of pep (Essence model). Classy interior too. Downside is men would find the seat a bit narrow. If buying the GX spend a little more and get the Essence model with the bigger engine and 9 speed transmission.

1...