Used 1996 BMW Z3 Consumer Reviews - 25 Car Reviews | Edmunds

1996 BMW Z3 Consumer Reviews

1.9 1.9L 4-cyl. 5-speed Manual - (25 reviews )

Bought 3 BMWs
By Chris

1996 BMW Z3 1.9 2dr Convertible

I have bought 2 Z3 models and they have been the best rides and fun ever. Everyone seems to love the style of the vehicle. Recently bought 328 series and it is junk, the emblem on the front blew of and chipped the windshield, electronic windows dont work, front panel cracked and the door handles are melting in the Florida sun. I will keep my 2 z3s because I love them but the 328 has to go....

96 z3
By robert strauss

1996 BMW Z3 1.9 2dr Convertible

purchased used around 2000. fun to drive, handles great and mpg close to 30 hwy. some things to look for if buying. 1 interior door pulls/handles have a tendency to come off (very poor design IMO) replacements very expensive 2 check seams on top and around window, if you can't see them they aren't there. meaning a replacement also expensive. 3 top WILL leak but most convertibles do LOL 4 my clear coat first clouded then flaked off. 5 know a good mechanic, not because it breaks frequently, but so you don't get gouged if it does

No put down
By Manny munoz

1996 BMW Z3 1.9 2dr Convertible

Owning a 1996 for many years, I can't say one bad thing about it. When you buy a car , do your research. Don't buy, then find fault. Edmunds is the place to start and end in my opinion. Honest chatter only. This car, after becoming a sports car fan back in 1966, is a keeper. Owned jaguar 140 1957, porsche 911, spitfire triumph, etc. This car is the true top down , smooth going country backroad car. So was the jag. Ha. I am over six foot, 250 pounds and this can rail the corners, Safely. Retired, there are plenty of sites that can save you money. Many miles later and still Loving it ! The door pull broke, super glue fix, perfect! Replaced window switch, very cheap and easy. Still running like a top! Close to 170,000 miles no burning oil. I change it now just once a year. Use synthetic. If you want a reasonably priced Sports car I personally wouldn't look for any other than a Z3. The 1.9 engine will now burn rubber , yet it will keep the cornering interesting. A true country back roads car!

Old fun
By Carlo

It is Not British

Gotta Love this Car
By festivator

1996 BMW Z3 1.9 2dr Convertible

I love the review that has a long list of problems with this car and then gives it four stars-you have own one these to understand. I find mine to be just like one of my grown kids - you love them dearly and they keep asking for money. When I brought my "new" car to my mechanic of 20 plus years he just smiled and said, "it's gonna cost ya!"

It has been a very long time since I drove a car just for the fun of it. It's my second roadster - the first was a new 69 MGB - and this one is even more fun.