Business-like
By rpauls on
2013 Volkswagen Jetta SE 4dr Sedan w/Prod. End 4/13 (2.5L 5cyl 6A)
I bought my 2013 Jetta 2.5 SE with 4,000 miles on it four months ago and it now has 15,000 miles. I work as an outside salesperson and was looking for a car that would get great gas mileage and still have some style. I did not have a Jetta in mind, but the mileage and price were both right, so I test drove it and to my surprise liked it a lot despite it being fairly vanilla on the style front. After four months, this car represents who I am very well, a business man. The looks are nice and clean. Not too boring, but not extroverted. The ride is generally compliant, quite nice on the interstate but very firm on rough pavement. Impressed with the highway mileage which has been 37 mpg.
Favorite Features
The best feature to me, of all things, is the steering wheel. It is just the right diameter, has a chuncky padded leather covering and is comfortable all day every day. The seats are a close second. The leatherette seats are very comfortable, look very much like a lower grade genuine leather and easy to keep clean. I like the ability to choose regular drive, sport mode and triptronic shifting. When accelerating on to the interstate, the sport mode gives a little extra "oomph" and the triptronic mode is good for fun every so often. Regular drive mode, of course, is best for gas mileage. The trunk is spacious, too. Higher than expected hwy gas mileage has been great.
Suggested Improvements
The major improvement appears to have been addressed in most 2014 trims and it is cornering. The "fun to drive" factor when taking turns at anything more than slightly above average speeds puts a little fear in you. Maybe the base tires have something to do with it. The radio is as odd of one as I have ever had. Two FM stations sound wonderful and the rest sound sub-par at best. I live in Milwaukee, so it is not like I am listening to stations where reception is an issue. I guess the way a radio station sends its signal greatly affects the sound quality.