Used 2002 Volkswagen Cabrio Consumer Reviews - 64 Car Reviews | Edmunds

2002 Volkswagen Cabrio - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Cabrio model:

Sun Fun
By JD Maynard

2002 Volkswagen Cabrio GLX 2dr Convertible (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

Family of 3
By Kelly

2002 Volkswagen Cabrio GL 2dr Convertible (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

I am only 5'3" and my husband is 5'6" with a 2 year old son so for us it is easy to get in and out of and fit comfortably in but my dad is 6'3" and he can get in and out but I wouldn't suggest this car for larger people. That being said we have no problem with a car seat fitting or using this as our only vehicle. The car has 200,000 miles on it and just regular maintenance is all I need. The electrical is only problematic because only the VW people seem to be able to fix it. That seems to be a problem with many cars these days.

I love my Cabrio!
By lmartin3733

2002 Volkswagen Cabrio GLS 2dr Convertible (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

The only problem I have had is that the top is splitting at the seam! All the way across the back and to my dismay I discovered that it is glued!! That is crazy! I have it taped right now but I am going to find out if someone can sew up the seam. So far everyone has said that it won't work, but I'm going to try it anyway! I can't afford a new top(that is probably glued too!) That has been my only disappointment. I've not had any big repairs. It's great in the snow! I can get in and out of everywhere and if I could get another one, I'd upgrade to another one. I've got about 160000 miles on it and I hope it lasts for another 3 to 5 years!

Sew all the seams in the top!!!!!!! The seat belt needs to be lowered. It wasn't made for short people. I feel like I'm choking all the time.

Just love it
By YVONNE

2002 Volkswagen Cabrio GLX 2dr Convertible (2.0L 4cyl 4A)

There are only a few things that I would change. First the power Windows button is too small. The cup holder is set to deep into the consol, which makes it hard to put a med. Size drink in there with the ashtray being directly above it. And sometimes I bump the control for the window wipers when I put in the key into the ignition

The way it handles. I can get 43 miles to the gallon with the top up and the air condtioning off below 70 mph. 34 mpg otherwise

Just improve what I suggested

I've already spent several thousand!
By butta246

2002 Volkswagen Cabrio GLX 2dr Convertible (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

Had the car for 8 years and It's a lot of maintence. Those who haven't had problems are lucky. So far I've had to buy several hoses, my back drink holder broke, new catalytic converter, timing belt, new a.c. compressor, I was actually locked inside my car once (long story but true), and my key got stuck on the outside of the car, I had to call AAA and send it to get it fixed asap. I now need to get my tires aligned because I'm going out of tires like crazy. Also my windows won't roll down, if they do they don't roll back up. It's about $400 a piece. I don't know if I got a lemon, but I have spent several thousand dollars on this car.

Very good on gas. I fill my tank up once every 2 weeks. I love how it's a convertible. It's very easy to drive. I love the leather seats as well as it being heated. They work great! Easy to clean on the inside.

Besides everything above, I wish we had better drink holders, nothing fits on those things! Maybe just a little bigger for a trunk space.