Used 1999 Saturn S-Series Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

1999 Saturn S-series - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific S-Series model:

Most Helpful|
As dependable as expected
By breunor

1999 Saturn S-Series SW2 4dr Wagon

I purchased my SW2 planning to haul small loads in the back, and it fit the bill nicely. Very few problems with the car, and those were minor. Overall the TCO has been low, and I plan to get several more years out of it. Maintenance costs have been low too, especially since there's no timing belt to replace and the exhaust is stainless steel.

Favorite Features

Very low maintenance costs and reliability has saved me lots of money. Cargo net in the back makes it easy to haul small items without them rolling around.

Suggested Improvements

The horsepower to MPG ratio could be a little better, but really it performs as expected.

Where did they hide the dependability?
By jdb

1999 Saturn S-Series SL 4dr Sedan

Timing chain broke at 30,000 miles. Head replaced at 30,000 miles. weather stripping replaced. door handles replaced. seat belt replaced. Front wheel bearing replaced. Cylinder head replaced again at 90K. Buy a Toyota like I wish I had done!

Favorite Features

The unreliability of the car has soured me so much that I can't say anything nice about it. It is the only car I have ever owned that I pray a deer will jump in front of!

Suggested Improvements

Maybe put a Toyota or Honda engine in. But then, just buy a Toyota in the first place and save the aggrevation.

I'll never purchase another Saturn
By jasper

1999 Saturn S-Series SL2 4dr Sedan

My Saturn SL2 has had many problems over the 4 years that I have owned it. It has stranded me 2 times, luckily in safe neighborhoods. The plastic parts on the interior and exterior are eaisly broken (dome light has broken twice, misc lights on car have fallen out due to broken plastic, knobs, consoles, dash, etc have all broken). The A/C has broken 3 times, all for different reasons. All 4 power windows have broken at different times. The Saturn dealerships are just like any other when it comes to repairs: you bought it, now its your problem, not ours. On the other hand, I've owned several foreign vehicles and had very few problems.

Favorite Features

My favorite feature is the dent- resistant paneling, which keeps the exterior looking new, even after 4 years.

Suggested Improvements

Saturn should use higher quality parts in their vehicles.

Only dealerships worse than car
By sa1nt412

1999 Saturn S-Series SL2 4dr Sedan

The car, except for the leaky interior and poor gas mileage, isn't so bad. At least not since I had to hire a lawyer to get Saturn to honor their warranty when the transmission went bad. I've been to 4 dealerships in 3 states and one had worse service than another. Calling the corporate office was a nightmare. The car would roll backwards when on the slightest incline, although it was in drive [it's an automatic] and they tried to convince me that's the way it's supposed to work. I will never buy a Saturn again. The rumor of good gas mileage is unfounded. I have never gotten good mileage from this car. Every other car I've driven I've been able to obtain higher than listed gas mileage. Bye

Favorite Features

sunroof, except when it leaks. It can be comfortable as long as you're not in it for a long trip.

Suggested Improvements

Interior needs to make sense. The cup holders are all akwardly placed.

Stay Away from SC1's! ! !
By lil' bit

1999 Saturn S-Series SC1 2dr Coupe

I bought my car around Feb. '01 because it was sporty looking. I wanted to get rid of it by that summer. Good gas mileage, terrible get up & go, uncomfortable, and depressing resale value for the options on it. Around 55,000 miles I had to have $1300 worth of work done to it (none of with was my fault). I will never ever buy another Saturn in my life.

Suggested Improvements

Improve everything from bumper to bumper