Used 1999 Saturn S-Series Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

1999 Saturn S-series - Consumer Reviews

1999 Saturn S-Series

View reviews for a specific S-Series model:

An excellent car for a tight budget
By Ernesto

1999 Saturn S-Series SL1 4dr Sedan

I bought my Saturn SL1 new in 1998. I have driven it in FL, Puerto Rico (big no for cars), CA and VA. Drove cross country from CA to VA and was far more reliable than my 2003 MPV. Not a show stopper, but it's reliable and economic. Great vehicle for new drivers. Not too much power. No problems for the last 6.5 years, only maintenace (oil, brakes)

Favorite Features

Value and reliability

Suggested Improvements

Use after market brakes. OEM brakes tend to wear out quicker.

Saturn SL1
By Dave's SL1

1999 Saturn S-Series SL1 4dr Sedan

Nice car overall. The 5 speed is definitely the way to go w/SOHC engine. Very quick thru gears 1-3 and the transmission is very tolerant of many driving styles. Excellent car for teaching new drivers to use a manual transmission. Check Engine light does come on when spark plugs get old/used. Replace with standard Wal-Mart Autolites, drive for a few miles and the light should go away for another 30k miles. Dealer will insist on changing out plugs, wires and ignition control module ($500) donít spend it until replacing just the plugs. Dash is clear and easy to read/controls are generally well laid out and logical. Visibility is excellent. Visibility is excellent. Simple engine layout makes for easy maintenance.

Favorite Features

Firm and precise steering makes driving pleasant. Quick acceleration and good brakes make it a good first car choice. Gets 38 MPG in combined driving. Car has 75k miles and is very reliable. Polymer doors and fenders make tight parking spots a no worry for dings. Very easy to wash and maintain.

Suggested Improvements

Seating position is low. Seats need to be height adjustable. Can get noisy at high speed and high winds will make it sway. Tires are too narrow with more than 2 people aboard. Larger tires. If the brake pedal light switch is not adjusted properly the brakes will engage prematurely and drag.

Only dealerships worse than car
By sa1nt412

1999 Saturn S-Series SL2 4dr Sedan

The car, except for the leaky interior and poor gas mileage, isn't so bad. At least not since I had to hire a lawyer to get Saturn to honor their warranty when the transmission went bad. I've been to 4 dealerships in 3 states and one had worse service than another. Calling the corporate office was a nightmare. The car would roll backwards when on the slightest incline, although it was in drive [it's an automatic] and they tried to convince me that's the way it's supposed to work. I will never buy a Saturn again. The rumor of good gas mileage is unfounded. I have never gotten good mileage from this car. Every other car I've driven I've been able to obtain higher than listed gas mileage. Bye

Favorite Features

sunroof, except when it leaks. It can be comfortable as long as you're not in it for a long trip.

Suggested Improvements

Interior needs to make sense. The cup holders are all akwardly placed.

I will never buy another Saturn
By jenna

1999 Saturn S-Series SL1 4dr Sedan

I bought my Saturn SL1 brand new in 1999. I was very happy with it for the first 65,000 miles, however, I did have a minor coolant leak that was untraceable. Upon reaching 70,000 miles I found out where the coolant was going. Saturn SL1's are notorious for cracked heads, and my coolant was leaking into my oil. Saturn declined responsibility for this, nor did they offer to aid in any way. So much for "Customers First". I had to invest $1700 for a new head, in a car that was only 5 years old, for a defect that Saturn claimed they had fixed. I changed my oil every 3,000 miles and did all prescribed services at the mileage suggested. I will never buy another Saturn again.

A Good Value For the Money
By Andre L.

1999 Saturn S-Series SC2 3dr Coupe

I bought my 1999 Saturn SC2 (3 door) new in January 1999. I have owned it almost 6 years now but have only put 35000 miles on it. Overall, I am quite satisfied with it. I have only had two mechanical problems with it in 6 years (I had to replace the air conditioning compressor and oxygen sensor). Otherwise, it has been very reliable. The third door has been very handy, and it has good acceleration for a small engine. On the downside, the cabin can be noisy at high speeds. And the dashboard and door panels rattle and creak in below zero temperatures. But, overall, I have no regrets about buying this car.

Favorite Features

Good handling and acceleration. Economical on gas. Good value for the money. Great customer service from Saturn dealership.

Suggested Improvements

Better interior materials. Dials instead of horizontal levers for climate controls.