1999 Saturn S-Series - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific S-Series model:
Good for the Money
By good for the money on 05/15/02 00:00 AM (PDT)

1999 Saturn S-Series SL 4dr Sedan

This car has been super during bad weather. We bought it with ABS and Traction Control, so the car pulls right through snow and wet roads. Because of dent resistent panels, car looks brand new even after 85k miles. In manual, the torque is excellent in 2nd gear. The dealer gives you free car wash coupons every time you get something done (even oil changes).

Better than my VOLVO!!!
By DrH2Os on 05/13/02 00:00 AM (PDT)

1999 Saturn S-Series SW2 4dr Wagon

The SW2 is tops. It gives me 32 mpg, and my 30,000 mile maintenance intervals cost me only $38 in parts -- I do it myself. Why can't ALL of the car makers put the automatic transmission filter in the engine compartment? Screw the old on eoff, screw a new one on! Neat styling too! I've had many cars, and the only one I've liked more than my Saturn SW2c in my 29 years of driving was my 1972 Volvo 1800ES!

Saturn SC2 - BAD
By GaryWizard on 05/08/02 00:00 AM (PDT)

1999 Saturn S-Series SC2 2dr Coupe

bought new, the car was fine for 3 yrs / 50,000 miles - at that point it started to fall apart! The quality is TERRIBLE and the dealer was NO help.

Love my Saturn!
By AmKHodge on 05/06/02 00:00 AM (PDT)

1999 Saturn S-Series SL1 4dr Sedan

I have had minimal problems with my Saturn SL1. Tires and breaks have been the major problems. I did have a transmission problem at 40,000 miles, but the dealership paid for more than 1/2 of the repair costs after I complained about having transmissions problems at such a low mileage. Since then my Saturn has been in tip top shape.

Perfect car for parking lots
By SaturnOwner-Chicago on 04/24/02 00:00 AM (PDT)

1999 Saturn S-Series SW2 4dr Wagon

Overall the SW2 is a good car, just not a great one. The plastic body panels means it survives parking lots without dings. It's insurance rates are low, and it greats good fuel economy, yet performance is good. It's reliable and seems rugged, but it excites no one. The best description I have ever heard for Saturns is that they are perfect cars for people who don't care about cars. The choice of plastics in the interior results in a low-priced look and feel with buzzes, rattles.

Best of the compact sports cars
By CarMan on 04/16/02 00:00 AM (PDT)

1999 Saturn S-Series SC2 3dr Coupe

I am very fond of my saturn. I purchased a new SC2 three door coupe back in 99' and it never once had any problems. Although the space was tight, you could still find lots of room for hauling things. It wasn't only fun to drive, but it was very reliable and cost to own was almost non existent. All in all I would say its the best car for your money.

Where did they hide the dependability?
By jdb on 04/15/02 00:00 AM (PDT)

1999 Saturn S-Series SL 4dr Sedan

Timing chain broke at 30,000 miles. Head replaced at 30,000 miles. weather stripping replaced. door handles replaced. seat belt replaced. Front wheel bearing replaced. Cylinder head replaced again at 90K. Buy a Toyota like I wish I had done!

A crude but reliable car
By Rich's saturn on 03/29/02 00:00 AM (PST)

1999 Saturn S-Series SL1 4dr Sedan

The car is great for local trips to the train station or grocery store. I would not recommend it for any other purpose. Rear seat room is woefully deficient, seating position is too low, the drivetrian is noisey and the transmission constantly hunts for the appropriate gear. The suspension is too soft. The buying experience was great and dealer service is top notch. However, if you need a car for longer trips, check out the Civic.

The best "cheap" car you can buy
By corkgreasepie on 03/21/02 00:00 AM (PST)

1999 Saturn S-Series SC1 3dr Coupe

It isn't a Porsche, heck it's not even a Volkswagen, but it IS very very reliable and cheap to own. It is the cheapest car to insure in it's class (because of it's crash test ratings I guess) and I'd buy another one today.

SWs way better than LW's!
By carshoppin on 03/16/02 01:03 AM (PST)

1999 Saturn S-Series SW2 4dr Wagon

LOVE this car. Fondly referred to as our "mighty 4-cylinder." This has get-up and go when we need it. Comfy to drive cross-country and with great mpg. Had it outfitted with hitch to pull small uhaul(4x8) trailer. Anything bigger greatly affects handling. Don't ever slide into a rubber-necking a Ford Expedition on an icy hill though, as the higher bumper literally peels the hood up into a crumpled heap even when impact isn't enough to set off air bags. For this reason it's rated a "10" by insurance co.s (the lower the #-cheaper ins). Traction control great. These saturns are prone to top motor mount failure which causes cabin vibration at idle. (cost to fix-$150.)