Used 1994 Pontiac Grand Am Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

Most Helpful|
Good starter car
By Darla

1994 Pontiac Grand Am SE 4dr Sedan

I bought this car right before i went off to college in 2004 for about $1750. I just let it go a few days ago because it has a cracked head gasket which will be about $1000-1200 to fix- not worth it!!! But it lasted 5 years so I guess i got my money's worth in a way. But since having it I have gotten 2 water pumps replaced, a new radiator cap, a new belt, new brakes, new struts, a new battery, and a new alternator so it definitely gave me about 1 major mechanical problem a year. It also leaked oil. Also found out the hard way that the Low Fuel light doesn't work! Horrible gas mileage in my opinion, but could be because i never had a tune up. This car was always running hot!

Favorite Features

pretty roomy inside. Nothing really, like i said was always waiting for the next big breakdown to happen.

Suggested Improvements

Better air compressor-my floor was always wet! Power windows-driver side stopped working, and passenger window occasionally gets stuck. No more aluminum engines! Couldn't lock my doors after awhile because key stopped working on driver's side, and sometimes passenger side was stuck

Dont buy
By Brent23

1994 Pontiac Grand Am GT 2dr Coupe

I had so many problems with my grand am. The first 20000 miles i put on the car was good then all the sudden the engine went out on me. I had to replace the engine then other things went wrong like the shocks and struts, EGR valve, Exhaust, and the alternator. There are lots of problems with these cars its a car that u have to put money into all the time. I do not recommend this car.

This Car is Not Anyone Should Own
By ArrogantBurrito

1994 Pontiac Grand Am SE 2dr Coupe

I bought this as my first car, I'm 16, this car has been nothing but problems. The 4 cylinder they put in this model, has to be the worst engine ever made. It delivers an entire laundry list of problems to you in a big expensive mechanic's bill. It doensn't give you much pick-up for such a big 4 cylinder engine, it being a 2.3 liter. This huge engine sucks gas and does get you around very far. It you buy any model coupe of this year, buy the GT. It's not worth getting a terrible engine and getting the same gas mileage you would get with a V6. My opinion stay away from this terrible accident that GM has created. I beg of you do not buy one it will be the worst choice you ever make.

Suggested Improvements

Here's an improvement, recall of this model and give back the poor people their money back.

1994 Pontiac Grand Am SE
By Dustin

1994 Pontiac Grand Am SE 4dr Sedan

The car is very odd to drive in general. The power steering preforms well, but does not, by any means, give you a one finger driving experience. The car is considered a compact vehicular, however, I find that it tends to corner as if it were a heavy, mid-size vehicular instead. The V6 model has the power to get up and go, that's for sure! But to tell you the truth, I would have bought the Grand Am Quad Four if I had a choice about it.

Favorite Features

The Grand Am SE in one of the quietest cars I have owned. My tires are almost balled and I can still hear the radio going down the interstate at 60MPH.

Suggested Improvements

It could have used a much better factory suspension and higher quality break pads. I am going to replace both of the aforementioned parts very soon. All and all, I guess I can not complain much about the Grand Am. Mine has 147,690 miles on it and still starts every time I turn the key.

The horror
By pony t

1994 Pontiac Grand Am SE 2dr Coupe

AltThough it's been over 3 years since I owned this car I had to warn others of its horrors. This was the worst, most unreliable car I have ever owned. I bought this car in 5/99 with 45k on it. I desperately needed a 2d car. I traded the car in in 10/99. In the 5 mos. I owned the car I put about 3k miles (mostly, it was in the shop) and $2500 worth of work into it before I decided to cut my losses. 1st, motor mounts went (not broken when I bought the car). 2d a/c went during the hottest summer in 10 years). Then power windows broke. Then a/c went again. Then the seats. Then the power steering. Then I traded it. Next up was the tranny.

Favorite Features

Getting close to resale value in trading it in for a Toyota.

Suggested Improvements

Build quality was abominable.