1993 Oldsmobile Cutlass Ciera Consumer Review: i need help

1993 Oldsmobile Cutlass Ciera - Consumer Review

S Sedan (2.2L 4-cyl. 3-speed Automatic)

i need help
By Scholtzy on

1993 Oldsmobile Cutlass Ciera S 4dr Sedan

I got this car with 58K miles on it & about 8 months ago, i started having problems w/ it. It started sputtering one day & stalled out, & since that day it has not been reliable. While i am driving, it will stall & sometimes it sputters too. I can throw it into neutral & start it back up with out even stopping. Sometimes it will do this the whole ride, & sometimes it will only do it once or twice. If i start it up & let it run for about 15 mins before i drive it, it won't stall at all. I've had up to date oil changes since i got it, it was in perfect condition when i got it. Since these problems, i had the spark plugs changed, had 2 mechanics look @ it and they don't see anything wrong.

Favorite Features

This was such a great first car, it got me 30 miles to and from college 4 times a week for a whole year and was great on gas, i really want to get it fixed...
By larman2
on 10/17/11 15:00 PM (PDT)

I have the same car. I had a very similar problem. Try taking out the MAF (Mass Air Flow) sensor between the air filter and the manifold intake and cleaning it. DON"T TOUCH THE DIODES!!!! They're 2 on 4 pins: about the size of a grain of rice. You can try unplugging the sensor and see if the engine runs better. It may stumble or stall. Restart it and see if it runs better. If it does, that's the problem. (It's about the size of a wallet photo and black. 3 screws hold it.) You can get MAF sensor cleaner from Auto Zone: $8. Spray clean the diodes GENTLY. You can use a camel hair brush with the cleaner. Let me know if you try this Good luck. Larman2

By demonfairchild
on 03/07/11 17:19 PM (PST)

Have you checked the PCM? I changed the fuel pump, fuel filter, maf, spark plugs, and spark plug wires and still had the same issue... my cousins husband (who is a mechanic) ran through the issue and determined it was the PCM. I have yet to exchange the part myself because funds are an issue on my end... but it's worth looking into. The local auto shop (O'Rilley Auto Parts) quoted me $85 for the part just today.

By dan121212
on 09/17/12 18:32 PM (PDT)

i have a 1993 cutlass ciera s 6 cyl. the car kept stalling but would start back up again. i changed the computer and a few other parts. no good. i changed the fuel preassure gauge $74 very easy to install, its on top of the motor. the car runs mint and its has a nice smooth idle. autozone has the part for $52 but you have to order it on line. good luck . dan121212

By dan121212
on 09/17/12 18:35 PM (PDT)

im sorry its not a fuel preasure gauge its a fuel preasure regulator. dan121212