2002 Nissan Maxima Consumer Review: Great Second Car

2002 Nissan Maxima - Consumer Review

SE Sedan (3.5L V6 6-speed Manual)

Great Second Car
By Adrian Pineda on

2002 Nissan Maxima SE 4dr Sedan (3.5L 6cyl 6M)

I bought this car last week. It is going to relieve me from driving my 2007 IS350 out of leased miles. It gives me amazing mpg (28+ mpg @70 mph). It is roomy and well-built. The engine has lots of power and a reasonable amount of torque. The quality of the leather is above average. It's nice to see that all the electric features still work @ 108,000 miles. It shows that prior owner took good care of it. I bought the SE trim so the ride is a little stiff thus noisy but not unlivable. The color is a pearl white and it has aged gracefully. The '02 Maxima is a great solution for people who need to commute but don't like to drive smaller cars and still get high 20s per gallon.

This Maxima is a fully loaded SE version with every single option included except for navy. I like the mpg, the body style (I like boxy cars, sorry) I love the HIDs, the dash layout, the cold A/C and the exterior; it looks so outdated it's even handsome. I rate it over the '04-'08 which lacks grace.

Road noise, headbeam lenses are prone to burn and fade quick making the car look cheap. The carpet needs better undercarpet for insulation and cushion; it looks cheap also. It drives like box on wheels but hey, it's an old platform. Even though the sound system is a premium, still sounds primitive.