Really nice but it would be so easy to be better!
By 23j96 on
2014 Mazda Mazda3 i Touring 4dr Sedan (2.0L 4cyl 6M)
Fun to drive? Hell yeah! I love this car. Mostly! After 2 years with an automatic (my first) I ditched it and went back to manual shift - with this Mazda3. Oof! And it was a good change. This is way more fun to drive than, say, my MINI (also manual). I love it - it's got a great feel, good power, lots of fun. But there are a lot of details that are so close but not there! So, this is more fun to drive than the MINI, right? But MINI gets all of the details right on.
Favorite Features
Blind spot monitoring is good (particularly because you can't see out the back quarters). The backup camera is much better than in other cars I've driven and it stays clean! It's got a nice and comfortable driving position for me (I wish it would tilt back just a little more). The button for navigating through the system is handy enough (I wish the menus were user-modifiable because you have so much crap to scroll through to get where you want to go!). The on-steering-wheel controls do most things and work well (but the configuration is a little weird). Why can't I control the center console from that? The Mazda roof bars are really easy to get setup!
Suggested Improvements
The sound system is bad. Subwoofers (which you can't turn off!) in the doors? And the "sound stage" is in the middle of the dashboard and can't be moved to be, say, coming from all around you. And this is with the premium sound system! I shudder to think of how bad the normal one must be! Cernterpoint is bad, Audiopilot doesn't work, HD radio is terrible, we want to be able to adjust the sound controls much more finely and to be able to change the menus. We want faster boot times and preferred order of services when it boots (don't default to radio when you can't find the phone). Need to tweak the aerodynamics so that you can drive with the windows open!