1998 Lincoln Mark VIII Consumer Review: Still a great car

1998 Lincoln Mark VIII - Consumer Review

Base Coupe (4.6L V8 4-speed Automatic)

Still a great car
By zandor on

1998 Lincoln Mark VIII 2dr Coupe

What can I say, I just love this car. It's a wonderfully smooth ride around town or on the highway, soaking up potholes with ease. The V8 provides effortless power at any legal speed. Gas mileage is usually around 25 on the highway, though I've gotten it as low as 22 (fast into a headwind) and as high as 27 (65 w/ a tailwind?) If you're having traction problems in rain or snow, it's your tires. The first set I had were lousy in rain and snow. I've since switched to 2 sets of tires- snows for winter and a set of summer performance tires. Repairs since the warranty ran out have averaged about $800/yr, which I'd consider well worth it to drive a Mark.

Smooth ride, performance, front seat comfort, looks, cockpit design, center console angled towards driver.

DIY Improvement: Snow tires + a couple hundred pounds of tube sand in the trunk work wonders. It would be nice if replacing the front shocks didn't involve replacing the entire front air strut assembly ($$$). Shocks are wear parts...