Used 2012 Kia Optima Consumer Reviews - 107 Car Reviews | Edmunds

2012 Kia Optima - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Optima model:

Never thought
By Scott Oaks

2012 Kia Optima EX 4dr Sedan (2.4L 4cyl 6A)

I've had this Kia for a year and a half. I've never had a issue with it. It is the most comfortable car I've ever owned. A few years back I never would of purchased a Kia, but since the design change in 2012 they have made a remarkable convergence from one moment a disposable car and now it's a car I want to keep until the wheels fall off. The options offer are technically sound and most are offered only by luxury cars at a much higher cost. As a personal note I normally do upgrades wheels, performance enhancing, eco and power. But this car has not needed one, great fuel mileage, excellent handling and power with more to spare. It's a well rounded car.

Do Not Buy, stick with Toyota
By Sad

2012 Kia Optima Hybrid 4dr Sedan (2.4L 4cyl gas/electric hybrid 6A)

I bought this car to Have the Benefits of the Hybrid, but I also liked and preferred the sporty style over the Camry ( have been a Toyota guy and got off that wagon to get a sporty, more fuel efficient Hybrid....I have regretted it ever since). As far as I know, 2012 was the first year Kia did the Hybrid, and with anything new, there are going to be flaws. I should have done more research prior. I bought this 2012 Hybrid with 64,000 miles. Before I even got my plates, the transmission started skipping. I took it to the dealer here in SLC, UT and the dealer could not diagnose the problem for 3 days. You would think something this messed up would not be blamed on the driver - especially at only 66,000 miles. The dealer had to call the main factory in CA, and after a few more days it was determined that the transmission was messed up due to the fact that it was a Hybrid, it was not engaging correctly with the engine. This was a $3500 fix. Here is where it would be nice for a manufacturer to step up, admit their flaws and faults and fix the problem - not charging the consumer. Too many times manufactures try to duplicate their competition and in so doing have to figure out the kinks and problems - like every manufacturer does...the problem here is Kia expects the consumers to not only tell them what is wrong (by bringing the car into the dealer to get fixed), but they expect the consumer to pay for it as well. Kia is basically getting their research paid for by consumers so that the next year they can fix the flaws and have a better car...this seems messed up and backwards to me. I would have been loyal for life if Kia would have accepted responsibility and resolved the issue. They need to have a recall on the transmissions for the 2012 Hybrids, but unless something kills someone in today's society, no one admits to anything. Again, I should have done more research, I thought that I would not have any problems with a car that only had 66,000 miles. I will never own or trust Kia again, I will stick to Toyota.

Good car so far
By Chris

2012 Kia Optima LX 4dr Sedan (2.4L 4cyl 6A)

Car now has 52k on it, bought 3+ years ago with 20k from a chevy dealer. Wheel alignment at 49k just before I got new Dunlaps. A very low cost to own car. Seats are somewhat low. Mpg high 20s to 35 at highway speeds. Mpg go down after 65mph. The dealer always trys to sell me a cabin and air filter for $75. Read the manual and do it yourself and save.

Optima EX GTi: 4-year review. 61000 miles
By Val

2012 Kia Optima EX 4dr Sedan (2.4L 4cyl 6A)

(The dropdown only gave me the Hybrid option; this is NOT a hybrid Optima). I have a 3-day a week, 120-mile round trip commute. Gas mileage and good handling in snowy IL winters were important to me when I made a decision to purchase this car new in 2012. In all but the coldest conditions, I average 32-35 mpg on my highway drives; 25+ if driving around town. Like others, I love the heated steering wheel and seats, cooled seats in summer and the sunroof. Like others, when I have to take a turn in the passenger seat, I find it annoyingly low. Replaced tires at about 50,000 miles. Had the fuel pump go out (under warranty) at about 27,000 miles. Other than that, no repairs; just routine maintenance and regular oil changes (using synthetic oil - my choice; always use it!) I still love a lot of little things about this car - the keyless entry; the way the lights come on when I walk up to the car, the trunk space, the room for occasional passengers, the stylish looks. Handles just fine in the snow and still looks sharp as new on the outside. The tan leather is too light - shows dirt too easily; wish I would have gotten the darker interior. Overall, very pleased with my loaded Optima.

Never buy a Kia...Worst decision ever
By Michelle

2012 Kia Optima EX Turbo 4dr Sedan (2.0L 4cyl Turbo 6A)

Kia Optima sucks!! At 55,000 miles engine seized and we were forced to replace it even though there was a warranty but Kia ALWAYS finds a way out of paying as can be seen by the reviews. Now at 90,000 miles car transmission or Turbo is going out so car is now going back into shop. Two weeks ago wire harness broke some how and severe several wires causing the brake system to go out! And if you call a Kia dealer all they will tell you is how great the Optima's are and why they would own them.... I offered to sell him mine on the spot, even told him that since his mechanic replaced motor that car should be perfect right??? There needs to be a mandatory recall o these cars immediately before someone is killed!!!! I want mine gone already!!!