2012 Kia Optima - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Optima model:
Ran great for 2 years and now problems
By yogi111 on 10/30/14 21:06 PM (PDT)

2012 Kia Optima SX 4dr Sedan (2.0L 4cyl Turbo 6A)

For the most part I love this car. If I keep it at 80 or under on the freeway it can get 31-33 mpg. City mpg around 22. The battery died one month after the warranty expired and my fuel pump just went out...luckily I got it to the shop before I was stranded and it is still under warranty.

UPDATE: review 2012 Kia Optima SX
By cdh906 on 10/28/14 22:54 PM (PDT)

2012 Kia Optima SX 4dr Sedan (2.0L 4cyl Turbo 6A)

This is an update to my past review. I have 67,000 (2.5 yrs old) miles on my car- and I want to get rid of it now. I'm very disappointed in this car now. (I previously gave it 4 stars) but reliability trumps here. This car has now left me stranded in a parking lot twice because it wouldn't start. Stuck on the side of the freeway due to a failed fuel pump which is apparently common, but Kia won't pay for the replacement. Without a working turbo more than a few times. The leather is not real - and has started cracking despite meticulous care. Battery died at 2.25 yrs and this is also "the norm" for this car. Having to tow my 'new' car to the dealership on a flatbed was less than fun.

12 SX Turbo
By sxturbo12 on 10/07/14 18:22 PM (PDT)

2012 Kia Optima SX 4dr Sedan (2.0L 4cyl Turbo 6A)

I have owned the 12 SX Turbo for about a week now. I just traded in a 10 Dodge Charger SXT 3.5 due to early trans failure :(. it killed me. However, i am LOVING the Optima SX TURBO.. very good MPG's for a turbo engine. I do about 90% city driving and I average about 25.5 MPG's. Going from a charger to an optima is quite a large jump but I couldn't be happier. I am still on my first tank of cause. With the calculations, I should end up with about 415-420 on this tank. I do not drive like a grandma either .. lol.

What else did KIA decide to go cheap on??
By robs777 on 09/11/14 14:28 PM (PDT)

2012 Kia Optima LX 4dr Sedan (2.4L 4cyl 6A)

We leased this car in 2012 and as of 2014 we find out that KIA decided to make OE tires that are only 30k tires! So now we have a leased car that we are having to replace the tires on before we return the lease. What are your thoughts America? Would you buy a car from a company that has no more concern for their customers than that? Also I am wondering what else KIA decided to cut corners on??

Zero Problems in 50,000 miles of driving!
By heyguy on 08/30/14 20:52 PM (PDT)

2012 Kia Optima Hybrid 4dr Sedan (2.4L 4cyl gas/electric hybrid 6A)

My wife and I both drive Optima Hybrids and we both traded in Lexus' for these cars. While not luxury laden like our old cars (and we do miss the wood, quality leather, and quieter drive, our cars have almost all the bells and whistles and have performed flawlessly for 2+ years and combined 50,000+ miles of driving. Love the 6 speed shiftable transmission, great radio, and heated and cooled seats. Love to the 35-40 mpg we get on long drives!

Kia Optima 2012 review update
By soxfan99 on 08/23/14 09:56 AM (PDT)

2012 Kia Optima EX 4dr Sedan (2.4L 4cyl 6A)

Wanted to write an updated review on my Kia Optima 2012 EX. As far as the vehicle itself, starting to show wear at 32k miles on the interior and exterior with light use (car is garaged daily). Arm rest is peeling. Carpet on rear deck is discoloring. "Leather" seats are starting to break down. Mileage has not changed or improved still averaging around 23mpg C-H driving. Tires that Kia is equipping the Optima with - horrible. Have the alignment checked (this is a known problem). This Optima has gone out 2 times. So in all not a horrible car, but cheaply made - we are glad it's a lease. We will be turning in and not looking back.

Replaced trans at 18k
By sassy1866 on 10/17/13 14:43 PM (PDT)

2012 Kia Optima EX Turbo 4dr Sedan (2.0L 4cyl Turbo 6A)

I love this car but at 18k miles I've had to have the transmission replaced already. As soon as I pay the car off I'm getting rid of it. It's fun to drive and looks great inside and out. But to have a major part of the replaced so soon is unacceptable. I had high hopes for Kia but it seems they have a long way to go in reliability.

Nice car but......
By sassy1866 on 07/15/13 16:34 PM (PDT)

2012 Kia Optima EX Turbo 4dr Sedan (2.0L 4cyl Turbo 6A)

So far I really like this car. Handles great, no lack of speed and enjoy the interior. A couple of negatives are gas mileage, wind noise and the passenger seat feels like you're sitting on the floor.

Used To LOVE My 2012 Optima - Now I HATE It!
By imac7 on 06/19/13 14:14 PM (PDT)

2012 Kia Optima SX 4dr Sedan (2.0L 4cyl Turbo 6A)

2012 Optima looks great; however, on the first day after I bought it, I was driving on freeway (regular freeway speed) and I noticed intermittent wind noise coming in by the top of driver door. I hope it was something that could be fixed. Three dealer appointments (time wasted) one which was arranged by Kia Corporate their bottom line was "normal noise." I owned a Sentra, Accord, Maxima, Camry, and a Pathfinder (which am not counting) and NONE of the cars had this issue. Also, my MPG average is about 22 (Last tank - no change in driving conditions - I got 19+)... MPG was a major factor when I decided to buy this car.

2012 Kia Optima Amazing Value for the Money
By botoboto on 06/15/13 20:27 PM (PDT)

2012 Kia Optima EX 4dr Sedan (2.4L 4cyl 6A)

I purchased a 2012 Optima last year. I love this car! There is no need, I feel, for spending $$$ on a luxury sedan. The car is very comfortable, sporty, fun to drive, and the Gas Mileage is what the sticker says. Actually I can get 37 on highway trips. I even used the Progressive drive module for a month and had a poor rating because of my acceleration habits. Now there are some things I do not like. The side mirrors are NOT connected to the seat memory. If I had known this, I wouldn't have purchased the car. My last 3 cars had this feature and I am very used to it. Also the passenger seat will not raise and my wife says its like sitting in a hole. Road noise is louder than I like.

The Edmunds TCO® estimated monthly insurance payment for a 2012 Kia Optima in VA is:

$152 per month*