1998 Isuzu Trooper - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Trooper model:
The Best SUV Ever, especially for depreciated used pricing!
By lakeshow23 on 09/28/11 01:30 AM (PDT)

1998 Isuzu Trooper Luxury 4dr SUV 4WD

This is the second Trooper I've purchased on the used market, after simultaneously owning a '99 Trooper and a '99 4Runner. The Trooper is so much better than the 4Runner it wasn't close. The 4Runner cost like twice the amount on the used market, had way less features for the money, less space, less power, lower interior build quality, more delicate exterior paint that loses its gloss, I went ahead and sold the 4Runner and pocketed the cash. IMO the Trooper also has more style and is more comfortable. The build quality of the interior, the chassis, this is a really strong truck! Take an Explorer of the same year and it's obvious the Trooper stood the test of time! Superbly designed.

12 Years and running strong. Till death.
By red ryder on 08/16/10 01:30 AM (PDT)

1998 Isuzu Trooper S 4dr SUV 4WD

We have had our Trooper since it was new back in 1998. It is a true trooper. People cannot believe it is a 1998. It looks better than some of the newer cars. I take it everywhere. Just recently the Catalytic Converters went out so I replaced them and the next bothersome thing is the timing belts that need to be replaced every 90,000 miles or so but other than that this car has been reliable and very versatile. I would never want another car. We are taking this to the grave with us.

98 Isuzu Trooper
By kitson on 06/14/09 08:37 AM (PDT)

1998 Isuzu Trooper S 4dr SUV 4WD

I really enjoy driving this vehicle. It's very comfortable and spacious with lots of room in the back for pretty much anything. It's also fun to drive and has great pickup. And it's great in snowy or muddy conditions. My only real complaints are its low mpg rating and I've been having a strange problem with the front tires when backing out of parking spaces, and no one can figure out why it's doing this. Also the sound system isn't so great. But otherwise, it's a great car and you can get a real bargain on it. So if you can afford the gas, I highly recommend this vehicle.

I loved this SUV
By THE VERY BEST on 05/17/08 18:29 PM (PDT)

1998 Isuzu Trooper S 4dr SUV 4WD

I have owned about 4 suvs and this was by far my very favorite! I am very hard on cars and this one took every thing I had and kept on going! I ran it out of gas,oil and never got a tune up and it still ran like a champ. I am very sad to have to get rid of it but with gas prices out of control I have no choice. I will miss this car!

2nd Isuzu
By Al on 04/30/08 23:31 PM (PDT)

1998 Isuzu Trooper S 4dr SUV 4WD

This '98 model is my second Trooper (brand new purchase). My first was an '86 that is languishing in my garage waiting to be restored after 180,000 miles. The '98 is 10 years old now and still feels like a pretty new vehicle. My drives to work are short so mileage is relatively low. But the vehicle is extremely competent and reliable. I used to feel the ride was a bit soft but put stiffer shocks in and improved things. My only repair of significance (under warranty) was the vacuum control modue for the 4-wheel drive mechanism. I also replaced the intake gasket for $65 (like others). There is very little to improve an I am sad that GM and Isuzu ultimately killed off the truck .

The Best SUV
By Elaine on 08/19/07 23:07 PM (PDT)

1998 Isuzu Trooper S 4dr SUV 4WD

It drives great and it does have plenty of room for grocery. It has a problem with the window track on driver side. It saves on gas.

SUV of choice.
By MikeAvenue on 04/19/07 16:47 PM (PDT)

1998 Isuzu Trooper Luxury 4dr SUV 4WD

If you're going to go with an SUV the Trooper is the way to go. I've only had one minor problem, the intake manifold gasket, that cost all of $200 to fix and ever since then (also up until then) it's been really reliable. I could start writing about how much I love driving in the snow with it. But that's a whole different review.

The Epitome of a Japanese Vehicle
By Mike on 11/24/06 22:08 PM (PST)

1998 Isuzu Trooper S 4dr SUV 4WD

Purchased the Trooper to drive back and forth in the snow belt between Erie, PA and Cleveland back in '98. The 4WD on the fly saved me many times on ice/snow covered I-90. Now in Texas, still driving well and looks good. Great quality build with 174,000+ miles. This one is a keeper but mileage is taking a hit and oil needs checking every 10 days. Love cargo space, made many trips for supplies from Lowes "Blue" and Home Depot "Orange" while finishing a basement. Like the roomy interior and durable materials.

Best Bang For Your Buck
By Scott Campbell on 09/25/05 22:55 PM (PDT)

1998 Isuzu Trooper S 4dr SUV 4WD

Has been the best car I have ever owned. 118,000 miles and just replaced a starter. That's it. Taken us to the snow, the mud, the beach and never let us down. Not the greatest mileage, but the best bang for your buck. Too bad the replacement came from GM. We'd like a new one someday!

The best reliable SUV
By GabbyU on 05/23/05 16:01 PM (PDT)

1998 Isuzu Trooper Luxury 4dr SUV 4WD

This is my first SUV. Since I bought the Trooper in March of 2005, I have only good things to say about my Trooper. The reliability is second to none. It rides well and the fuel consumption is not bad for an SUV. For the three years I have owned it, only oil changes and a set of front tires. If Isuzu still makes the Troopers in the future, I will buy another without any hesitation. However, I plan on buying another used one to add to the 1998 model I have. This speaks of the durability and the reliability of the Trooper. The cargo capacity is among the best in its class.

1 2 3 4 5 next »