1999 Isuzu Rodeo - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Rodeo model:
Like a Timex, takes a licking...
By powderbud on 02/25/13 13:34 PM (PST)

1999 Isuzu Rodeo LS 4dr SUV

I bought my '99 Rodeo in 2000 with exactly 30k miles on it. I am now at almost 350k miles. This is my 2nd Rodeo. At 100k miles, I had to replace the clutch for $1100. That is probably my biggest complaint about the Rodeo. GM built the engine, and clearly they wanted to insure repair costs were ridiculously high. Even to change the thermostat requires removing the manifold pushing the cost at a shop to over $150. On most cars, replacing an $7 thermostat takes all of 5 min and a screwdriver. I also had the rear diff assy replaced at about 150k miles. Bought one used for $500, been fine ever since. My Rodey blows 4Runners, etc away going up I-70 to the mountains every weekend.

185k and still going
By zack_morris on 01/28/13 10:04 AM (PST)

1999 Isuzu Rodeo LSE 4dr SUV

Have had this car for 185k and I'm pleasantly surprised that it's still kicking. Sure, repairs have been needed, but the transmission and engine are still good. The 2 major issues were a defect where the steering column wore through a brake line (covered under warranty), and the ECM on-board computer failed at 165k, causing the engine to missfire and transmission to go wacky, took a while to troubleshoot that one. But overall I'm super pleased with the longevity, versatility, ride, cargo capacity, and perfect size in this mid-sized SUV. I'm planning to retire the old boy at 200k, and I'm having difficulty finding a similar sized SUV with a V6 and the same interior space/cargo room

My perfect Mom Car
By csnickie on 02/17/10 10:11 AM (PST)

1999 Isuzu Rodeo S V6 4dr SUV 4WD

I purchased a used 99 Rodeo just before I became a mom.....giving up my truck. Safety was the #1 factor, and love that it "Frame on Chassis" not unibody. Now with over 185,000 mile on it, it is still the most reliable vehicle I've ever owned. As with the rest, the gas gadge went out...drop the tank and add a new one....and it was worth my sanity. For girls who love trucks, like to 4x4 in the snow, or have to haul a trailer, I wouldn't drive anything else. Was actually rear ended by a Chevy Surburban once, and the tire on the back absorbed both the impact and damage. I also drove it to the bodyshop. As all cars, alternator, starter, h20 pump replaced. 185,000 mile though...and counting.

1999 Rodeo "The Best"
By RJP on 01/07/10 01:52 AM (PST)

1999 Isuzu Rodeo LS 4dr SUV

Bought my 99 Rodeo about 7 years ago "used" with 30K miles. Been the BEST Auto I have ever had and I have owned many ...... !! Serviced and changed oil regularly as scheduled. Now has over 135,000 miles and still runs great and is nice and tight. Only repairs made during my 105k ownership aside from tires & brakes is a starter replacement and gasket leak to sealed transmission about $400.00 cost. and a couple of batteries. Made many long trips it is a pleasure to drive. Average Hwy 21 mpg at 70 & 75 miles an hour. Wish I could find another with lower miles would buy it in a heart beat ..... You gotta shoot-em to kill - em ..... Great Mid-Size SUV ... !!

Many problems to follow my purchase
By amber on 08/13/09 06:25 AM (PDT)

1999 Isuzu Rodeo LS 4dr SUV 4WD

The day after I purchased this SUV at 63,000 I was replacing parts. That should have been my warning, but I really liked my Isuzu. The truck has a lot of problems that maybe a handy person can fix themselves with the help of a junk yard. I have had to replace problems including both catalytic converter$, oxygen sensor, tires, brakes and rotors, cv boots, the windows don't roll up and or down, Ac, gas gauge fluctuates on a full tank will blink as if on empty and out, power steering pump broke, burns excessive oil, horrible on gas, keyless entry had to be replaced, and heat shield had to be removed. I have owned my truck for a few years, now at 126,000 mi.

1999 Rodeo
By Sunny on 07/24/09 20:39 PM (PDT)

1999 Isuzu Rodeo LS 4dr SUV 4WD

I purchased my Rodeo new and used it as my main vehicle for 8 years. One of the main things I was looking for was the ability to transport my bicycle inside the SUV, yet have a mid- sized vehicle that was easy to handle. The Rodeo has met every expectation and at 112,000+ miles, I am still very happy with it. I have honestly not kept up with the scheduled maintenance as the Isuzu dealerships come and go in our town, but have done the general oil changes, etc. There have been very few problems with it, and the only real negative is that it only gets about 15 - 18 miles a gallon at this point.

Nice & Quiet
By walid on 07/01/09 20:48 PM (PDT)

1999 Isuzu Rodeo LS 4dr SUV 4WD

I bought it September 2007 with 73,000 on it, currently I have 85,500. It's a reliable little suv, and I wouldn't give it up for any similar suv's. I've only had two major things done on it, drivers side axle was cracked, was caught in time, and I had the engine flex pipe changed. Mine does eat up oil for some reason, I can't complain about this car, it's pretty much perfect, if they still made them I would buy a new one.

Great Car!
By kleeper on 06/17/09 07:53 AM (PDT)

1999 Isuzu Rodeo LS 4dr SUV

I bought my Rodeo brand new in 1999. I have had it almost 10 years now. I have been very consistent with maintaining the vehicle. I get the oil changed every 3k miles. I had it tuned up at 50k and 100k miles. I now have 139k miles on it. I am starting to have to replace things. I expect this with a car that is almost 10 years old and has high mileage. It was not fun to replace the air compressor this week! However, how long should one last? At least I don't have a car payment! :)

Good work vehicle
By BumpinThumpin on 04/19/09 14:33 PM (PDT)

1999 Isuzu Rodeo LS 4dr SUV 4WD

Two weeks of owning this SUV and the infamous EGR code came up. I tried everything, cleaning out the intake holes, an intake fume flush kit and finally changed the EGR valve. 160.00 NOPE, and then the fuel gauge problem where it would drop to 0 and the light would flash. So I took the dash apart and placed black tape over both of them. Voila. No more lights ever again and back to happy motoring.

Terrible car
By chels on 03/18/09 13:17 PM (PDT)

1999 Isuzu Rodeo S V6 4dr SUV 4WD

I bought a 1999 Isuzu Rodeo last August, this car has given me so much trouble. I have had to replace the starter, tires several times, 2 door latches, EGR valve, throttle position sensor, headlight assembly kit. I have tried to keep up the maintenance on this car and it is a money pit. I love driving it, and I love the comfort of the interior, but this is just not a reliable car. Also, the car idles very high around the 3 rpm's in park and around 2 in drive and reverse.