Used 1999 Isuzu Rodeo Consumer Reviews - 86 Car Reviews | Edmunds

1999 Isuzu Rodeo - Consumer Reviews

1999 Isuzu Rodeo

View reviews for a specific Rodeo model:

She's a BEAST!!!!ien
By Christina Littlejohn

1999 Isuzu Rodeo S V6 4dr SUV

Its all around amazing.. I however bought mine used it had like 230**** on it but in a year ive had it , it was defiantly well worth the $1800 I paid for it.iced I'm the 2nd owner it now has 260**** on it and still very very strong suv only thing ive got to due now it get trans serviced but for the he** ive put her threw well lets just say the BEST ive owned.....

Had Her for 16 Years Still Going Strong!!!
By IsuzuDude

1999 Isuzu Rodeo LSE 4dr SUV

Year: 1999 Rodeo 2wd
Engine: 3.2L V6, Manual Transmission
Mileage: 326207
Any major problems: None

I bought Her reluctantly brand new with only 40 miles on Her. I had just started a new job (which turned out to be my career), college and my son was 3 at the time. My dad told me I should get a more reliable vehicle and he picked it out and said he would help with the down payment if I got it. I hated it. Did not want a stick shift although I did want an SUV. So I bought it.

It turned out to be the best purchase of my life. Watched my son grow up from his car seat to the driver seat in Her, and She carried my second son home from the hospital when he was born in 06.

I kept Her up pretty faithfully with my oil changes and tune ups. I have to do a better job with flushing and replacing coolant and transmission fluids; I have done that at about 2x. But NO MAJOR PROBLEMS. Just got a new catalytic converter in 2013 costed me $600 just to pass smog. Other than that I did most of the work myself starter 2x, alternator once, fuel pump, and brakes once (just the front never had to do the back ones yet). Had the AC compressor replaced a couple times, after this summer it may need it again. The fuel gauge had been broken for years but just replaced the fuel pump a couple months ago and it is working now.

I have used Her as a commuter from Sacramento to the SF bay area for 6 years. She is still my commuter but now I only work 30 miles away from home.

Thought She was a goner a few days ago; all of a sudden She started smoking on my way to work and heard noise coming from the engine. I was sad. But turned out to be a broken Idler pulley. Got her back on the road the next day. She is still going strong, feels like I can get another 300k miles out of Her!

Like a Timex, takes a licking...
By powderbud

1999 Isuzu Rodeo LS 4dr SUV

I bought my '99 Rodeo in 2000 with exactly 30k miles on it.
I am now at almost 350k miles.
This is my 2nd Rodeo.
At 100k miles, I had to replace the clutch for $1100.
That is probably my biggest complaint about the Rodeo.
GM built the engine, and clearly they wanted to insure repair costs were ridiculously high.
Even to change the thermostat requires removing the manifold pushing the cost at a shop to over $150.
On most cars, replacing an $7 thermostat takes all of 5 min and a screwdriver.
I also had the rear diff assy replaced at about 150k miles.
Bought one used for $500, been fine ever since.
My Rodey blows 4Runners, etc away going up I-70 to the mountains every weekend.

Horsepower: 210bhp. At the time, it was the most power in it's class. 5 spd tranny - never had a problem, and far outperforms any auto tranny I've driven still. DIN sized dash mount for stereo - don't be stuck with the overpriced, low quality manufacturers junk. Reliability. My friends & family still can't believe the miles I've got out of this old truck and it still looks good. Change the oil regularly, the O2 sensors, wash & wax, and you too can get 300,000 or more miles out of these Rodeos. It amazes me that Isuzu couldn't keep up with the competition on creature comforts that sell. Great, reliable vehicles in my opinion.

Don't tie the sunroof option to automatic transmissions. Stupid idea. Forget the 6 disc CD player, they never work for long. Fuel gauge clearly has a problem, find a new supplier. More comfortable seats would make long, multi day drives easier. Move the engine thermostat to where the average DIY mechanic can replace such a mundane part, and put a cabin air filter in. None of these will happen since Isuzu no longer sells vehicles in the U.S.

185k and still going
By zack_morris

1999 Isuzu Rodeo LSE 4dr SUV

Have had this car for 185k and I'm pleasantly surprised that it's still kicking. Sure, repairs have been needed, but the transmission and engine are still good. The 2 major issues were a defect where the steering column wore through a brake line (covered under warranty), and the ECM on-board computer failed at 165k, causing the engine to missfire and transmission to go wacky, took a while to troubleshoot that one.

But overall I'm super pleased with the longevity, versatility, ride, cargo capacity, and perfect size in this mid-sized SUV.

I'm planning to retire the old boy at 200k, and I'm having difficulty finding a similar sized SUV with a V6 and the same interior space/cargo room

My perfect Mom Car
By csnickie

1999 Isuzu Rodeo S V6 4dr SUV 4WD

I purchased a used 99 Rodeo just before I became a mom.....giving up my truck. Safety was the #1 factor, and love that it "Frame on Chassis" not unibody. Now with over 185,000 mile on it, it is still the most reliable vehicle I've ever owned. As with the rest, the gas gadge went out...drop the tank and add a new one....and it was worth my sanity. For girls who love trucks, like to 4x4 in the snow, or have to haul a trailer, I wouldn't drive anything else. Was actually rear ended by a Chevy Surburban once, and the tire on the back absorbed both the impact and damage. I also drove it to the bodyshop. As all cars, alternator, starter, h20 pump replaced. 185,000 mile though...and counting.

Safety, Spare tire easy to get to and absorbs any impact.

Fix the dar Gas Gadge Single, Tanks are not fun to drop and replace....but worth the replacement.