1999 Ford Escort - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Escort model:
Reliable little car
By Kevin on 11/28/08 20:06 PM (PST)

1999 Ford Escort SE 4dr Sedan

Bought this car way back in 2000 and it has never ever left me stranded. Looks nice, has good interior room for the driver and front seat passenger. No big repairs, just the usual cost of ownership stuff. The 5 speed is actually quite sprightly, and takes off very fast from a stop. Handling is very nice, I've driven it in some of the most cornersome roads in the Oregon mountains and coast and its been great. Even had this baby on dirt roads/forste roads. Tough as nails. Its got 208,000 miles now and still starts every day. Pity Ford no longer makes these or I would buy another.

Better than my new Corolla
By Import Driver on 09/07/08 17:39 PM (PDT)

1999 Ford Escort SE 4dr Sedan

I've always driven Hondas and Toyotas, but my 99 Escort SE Sport married into the family. When we had our first kid, I sold my Honda Del Sol, and bought a new Corolla. My wife got the new car and I got "stuck" with the Escort. It's been a phenominal car. It still drives like new after 100k (I know thats not much compared to other reviews), and I've never had any mechanical problems. It handles great, has good pick up, and I get pretty good gas mileage. All in all, I really prefer driving it to the new (2006) Corolla.

Black and Beautiful
By turboDREAMS on 04/10/08 07:56 AM (PDT)

1999 Ford Escort SE 4dr Sedan

My Escort has almost 180k on it now and has never let me down. Ever. She sees high rpms on a daily basis because of how fun this ride is! 5spd is definitely the way to go and the response is outstanding. I thought escorts were grandma cars until i noticed civics trying to keep up! The handling is so smooth that i sometimes forget that I am in an Escort. All my friends look to the ground with rising gas prices as I enjoy the day no matter what with my easily captured 35mpg. Fuel economy is simply amazing in this car! If you want an affordable car that just won't leave you in the dust or stranded, and out runs half the hybrids in the mpg test, i can confidently say "go with the Escort!"

Best Little Car!
By Jen on 04/02/08 01:58 AM (PDT)

1999 Ford Escort SE 4dr Sedan

I bought my car brand new, other than normal maintenence, I've had no problems, never been stranded. It's getting older and the seats aren't what they use to be, but old age will do that to you. I'm wondering how many miles my Black Beauty will see.178,000 and counting.

Want More
By Raghead on 09/30/07 10:43 AM (PDT)

1999 Ford Escort SE 4dr Sedan

I own 4 Escorts,3 99's,1 98. My daily driver is a 2.0 SP 5 Sp sedan. This is the best car I've ever owned. It had 32K miles when purchased and now has 132K. I have replaced 1 set of tires,1 tie rod end and the spark plugs. I drive the car extremely hard.The tach sees 5 grand every day. Fun to drive, handles like a dream and 32 MPG. None of my Escorts has ever left me or my wife stranded. If they still made them I'd buy a new one. Great car.

Not bad
By Felicia on 07/16/06 06:24 AM (PDT)

1999 Ford Escort SE 4dr Sedan

I bought my Escort from a couple who wanted a newer car. It had high miles for the year, but didn't look bad at all. I've had Escorts and other Fords before and this car has been the best one for me to drive. Body looks good, inside fits 1 adult, 2 kids and a big dog pretty good. I had a few problems with it, such as the brakes, and now I'm told something is broken in the engine, but that little car still moves. Has always been good on gas, and the only time it left me stranded was when I got a dead battery. I drove this car hard. I live in a hilly region and I tend to lay on the gas. The tranny is good, it's just that some mounting thing in the engine is broke, so the car can take a beating.

Found On Road Dead
By JBL on 06/04/06 07:40 AM (PDT)

1999 Ford Escort SE 4dr Sedan

From the beginning - TROUBLE! Strange noises and lots of vibration. Transmission always a concern - dealer said everything ok (while under warranty). Repeated Check Engine Lights - sensor replacements and $$$ Cassette player went out. Hood latch broke, nickel and diming me to death. Lot of brake problems. The latest found on road test diagnosis - major valve & seat damage, went through and damage the piston, block, and cylinder head - needs new engine at $4,000. Dealer maintenance shop keeps telling me there are never any trouble with Escorts. Yeah, right.

Excellent Commuter Car
By scortracer on 04/18/06 11:32 AM (PDT)

1999 Ford Escort SE 4dr Sedan

Just got this car not too long ago but it has been in the family for about 3 years. I don't really have to do anything with it besides change the fluids and get new brakes ... just normal wear and tear. The car has about 78K on it and I expect another 100K more at least. The tranny sometimes shifts rough and it idles shaky but I heard those are normal Escort traits. It gets great gas mileage and is quite comfortable to ride in and also handles a lot better than most other small cars. I had a 96 Escort and this generation seems worlds better. I don't know why people are running out and getting Japanese cars, I'd take my little 'Scort over a Corolla or Civic any day. The build quality is great.

My Ford
By Blair on 02/01/06 12:30 PM (PST)

1999 Ford Escort SE 4dr Sedan

This was my first car that I bought. I really like it but seem to always have a problem with it. It has always gotten me from here to there.

Mediocrity at its best
By Kuri on 01/03/06 01:13 AM (PST)

1999 Ford Escort SE 4dr Sedan

Bought my '99 Escort with 24k on it, thinking it was a good buy. Less than a month later I had bad vibrations in the car during idle. Had to rip out and replace the motor mounts, a problem that I've read other people having online. Horrible console design, cup holders won't hold anything bigger than a 20 ounce cup. Bad acceleration and I'm already having transmission problems thanks to it. For some reason gas mileage plummets with city driving from 30-35 mpg to about 25 or so. I like small cars so this is actually a bit big for me; I'd have preferred a ZX2 if anything. Back seat has no room for comfort. My issues with the exterior looks were solved with a body kit. Speakers didn't even survive 2 months.