1999 Ford Escort - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Escort model:
I love my ZX2! Very roomy for such a small car!
By cayce106 on 02/02/11 14:55 PM (PST)

1999 Ford Escort ZX2 Cool 2dr Coupe

I bought my car brand new 12 years ago and am still driving it. I wish Ford still made these, because I would definitely buy another one. This car has never let me down. I've had three collisions in this car (none my fault) all on the front ends and stayed safe through all three. This car is very peppy- you can pull out very quickly and you can zoom uphill with no problem. Other than some maintenance (new alternator at 90,000 miles, new break pads, a few batteries, a repair on the air conditioner) I've had no major problems. The only complaints are that it's hard to get into the back seat, but once you're there it's pretty roomy.

still going
By rosa on 01/05/10 13:46 PM (PST)

1999 Ford Escort ZX2 Cool 2dr Coupe

Bought this used, and now has over 200,000 miles on it, and still going strong, absolutly great gas mileage, but the ride is bumpy and noisy, but it's basic and cheap transportation, moon roof is neat, body paint still shines, replaced thrmostat, timing belt, rods, battery, tires. will drive it til it dies.

Look Good for Cheap
By Subaroid! on 09/02/09 01:29 AM (PDT)

1999 Ford Escort ZX2 Cool 2dr Coupe

This is a good, cheap piece of transportation. There's not much to this car, just the bare necessities. Crank windows, no CD player, no A/C. It's got 108,000 miles on it, and has done well for a Ford. Only replaced the alternator and an idler pulley so far (relatively cheap fixes, $400, $100), have done the brakes; rotors and pads front for $50. It's got the 2.0 liter engine and a 5 speed manual so it gets good mileage (25 or so with me driving it hard), has good handling, and is fun to drive. It's due for a clutch, and there are squeaks, rattles, and oil leaks. Interior trim pieces are also falling off.

99 Ford ZX2 5 speed
By Randy on 12/27/08 20:06 PM (PST)

1999 Ford Escort ZX2 Cool 2dr Coupe

Purchased with 89K and so far it has been a steal. Fun to drive, very peppy and handles nicely. Have the primo sound 6 disc changer and it sounds great. Gas mileage mostly highway is 29mpg. (moderate driving speeds/acceleration)

Sporty, economical & less than a Celica
By teriana on 01/07/08 09:57 AM (PST)

1999 Ford Escort ZX2 Cool 2dr Coupe

I purchased the car with 93,000 mi on it and paid $4,300 out the door with every option available (over half the price of the Celica's I was looking at). The car has an awesome stereo with premium sound. I drove it until 119,000. The only thing I had to replace was the thermostat. When I bought it, it did have a slight transmission leak that I always meant to have fixed. Instead I just put more fluid in every once in a while. When I sold the car, it did seem like it had the beginnings of real transmission trouble, but I'm not positive. Trans problems are the one thing that can plague this vehicle. I can't ignore the fact, though, that my brother-in- law owned two with over 250,000 miles.

A good little car
By EddieSylvano on 12/03/07 12:02 PM (PST)

1999 Ford Escort ZX2 Cool 2dr Coupe

This was my first new car, and I've had it for 9 years, now. I was a bit apprehensive when I bought it - an American car made in Mexico - but it's been a champ. I've only had 2 problems in that time: the alternator died after about 4 years, and the AC after about 8. Other than that, it's been a great car. Good gas mileage, peppy acceleration, and fun to drive. I'm officially an adult now, and buying a new car, so it's time is up. I'm really going to miss it, though. I've had it so long it's like an extension of myself, and it's never let me down. I only hope my next car is as reliable and enjoyable. Farewell, old friend.

Found On Road Dead
By NoMoreFords on 08/30/06 08:36 AM (PDT)

1999 Ford Escort ZX2 Cool 2dr Coupe

This car seemed to work alright up until about 65,000 miles...then I found myself in and out of the dealership/repair shops every few months. I would not buy a Ford again, lesson learned.

She runs like a champ, no matter what
By Maleficus on 06/30/06 01:50 AM (PDT)

1999 Ford Escort ZX2 Cool 2dr Coupe

I purchased my used ZX2 about 2 years ago, with 58,000 miles on the clock. Since then, she's only let me down once, and that was because I hadn't performed a regular maintenance item. The timing belt slipped so it wouldn't run, took it to a shop who didn't know what they were doing and they told me my cold air intake and header were why she wouldn't idle (at ALL). Well, they were wrong, the timing was still off. For a year, she's been running with bad timing and she runs like a champ, well, to a certain degree. As soon as I fix the timing (myself!), I'm positive she'll be back to her old zippy, fun self. Please, please buy one of these cars, you won't regret it.

Nice first car
By Paco on 05/28/06 18:56 PM (PDT)

1999 Ford Escort ZX2 Cool 2dr Coupe

I love this car. It is good and economical and very reliable when it is well taken care of. Good car for single people or students.

Good fuel economy
By Nate on 08/28/05 19:45 PM (PDT)

1999 Ford Escort ZX2 Cool 2dr Coupe

The transmission has gone out twice and the alternator once, but it gets great gas mileage and is pretty fun to drive.