2009 Ford Escape Hybrid 2.5L 4-cyl. Hybrid CVT Automatic Consumer Review - Great design by Ford

2009 Ford Escape Hybrid - Consumer Review

Base 4dr SUV (2.5L 4-cyl. Hybrid CVT Automatic)

Great design by Ford
By Meatwaggon on

2009 Ford Escape Hybrid 4dr SUV (2.5L 4cyl gas/electric hybrid CVT)

I ordered this vehicle back in June of '08, and picked it up in October. I have to say this vehicle is a blast to drive once you learn how to coax the electric drive into action. I really like how this car can sneak up on people in electric mode and make them turn heads as you drive past them at 30-40 mph with only the sound of the wind and the tires on the ground to cue them in to the fact that there's a car nearby. So far I haven't had any reliability issues, the car delivers the promised mileage, and the features that I got on this vehicle have all been very satisfactory and helpful (Nav system, step bars, cargo rack bars). The interior design is however a bit clunky.

Favorite Features

The Nav screen and its features. The ability to use electric drive all the way up to 40mph. The adjustable driver's seat. The night lighting. The exterior design (much more muscular/beefier than the earlier FEH model years).

Suggested Improvements

Decrease engine noise; it's too high at both street & highway speeds when accelerating. Move the Nav screen up higher to be above the vents so that you don't have to look down so far to read the screen while driving. Modify the back seat design to make it easier to fold down for extra cargo space.